Windows Deployment Services

fizban2

no problem :)

there are 3 modes to WDS: RIS, RIS + WDS and pure WDS, if you are already using RIS for your images, you can move to the second level and life cycle out your older images for Pe 2.0 ones as it becomes feasible

Okay--time for another issue. In WinPE 2.0, has anyone tried to run an HTA with <script> sections? Are the scripts working? My HTA loads, but none of the VBScript runs. Is there some security setting I need to change? Is MSHTA broken in WinPE 2.0 from the February CTP? I've used peimg to install HTA and Scripting components; is there something else I need to install?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Heh guys

I get stuck at this part

Create an image file (.iso) by using the Oscdimg tool. To do this, type:

Cd Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\

Oscdimg -n –bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

6. Burn the image (Winpe.iso) onto the blank CD-ROM. You now have a Windows PE CD with ImageX.

Well i use this command :

Oscdimg -n –bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

I get an error message saying Error : Could not delete existing file c:\winpe_x86\iso

Access is denied

Why do i get this tried it on 3 macjines and same thing :huh:

I am having a bit of a deal with WDS (pure mode)(longhorn 5384.4). I am having a problem with the *.xml files created with SIM. I am able deploy images with an unattend-xml file with the WDS client based on architechture, but when I associate an *.xml with any install image in WDS, nothing happens, no unattend install, just the usual install GUI. Does anyone know how the *.xml thing works with WDS i pure mode. I would like to have an generel unattend file for architecture, and a unattend fil for each deploy image...Does anyone how that works in WDS????....

Been trying to do this for almost 2 weeks now :/....

Cheers,

Cyprids

Hello. i am need a help. I installing on win2003 Sp1 RIS and upgrading to WDS. I installing BDD Vista and WAIK. Creating Image from Windows XP and importing him to the server.When I try connect to the server over pxe network card I recive error message >>> PXE BOOT Image not found. I can't find on my server file pxeboot.com.

Hello. i am need a help. I installing on win2003 Sp1 RIS and upgrading to WDS. I installing BDD Vista and WAIK. Creating Image from Windows XP and importing him to the server.When I try connect to the server over pxe network card I recive error message >>> PXE BOOT Image not found. I can't find on my server file pxeboot.com.

Did you import the WIM image into WDS? it sounds like the WDS server doesn't know where your images are. Double check to make sure when you open WDS you can see your images

yes. I have in console wds image. But when i try configure boot in table server properties boot, Boot menu ask to me about default boot program not a valid boot program file. where i fing valid boot file, i meen pxeboot.com

Hi, guys. Somebody can help me. when i connect to server wiht pxe method i can;t see available operating system images. I see only image what was created over installing WDS. I meen when i install RIS server. My second image was created with ximage.exe and i addet him to menu "INtall Image" in WDSMgmt console.

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem as borisg. Working RIS server, installed R2, configured WDS, installed WAIK, but pxeboot.* can nowhere be found on my system.

As a result TFTP download of boot\x64\pxeboot.com fails. (which means clients connects to server and wants to boot as supposed to)

Installed a new DC, same problem.

Added Vista images from WAIK DVD, no go.

:huh:

I did RTFM, WDSOOBRDME.DOC, and it says:

After transitioning from a legacy mode to mixed mode operation by configuring the server using the Windows Deployment Services management console or by running WDSUTIL.exe /initialize-server, you must also add a Windows Vista WinPE boot image. Failing to do so will cause network boot attempts, made by client computers, to fail with an error similar to “TFTP Error - File Not found.”

So I'll see if I can find me one of those....

Edited by OzIt

I have the same problem as borisg. Working RIS server, installed R2, configured WDS, installed WAIK, but pxeboot.* can nowhere be found on my system.

As a result TFTP download of boot\x64\pxeboot.com fails. (which means clients connects to server and wants to boot as supposed to)

Installed a new DC, same problem.

Added Vista images from WAIK DVD, no go.

:huh:

I did RTFM, WDSOOBRDME.DOC, and it says:

After transitioning from a legacy mode to mixed mode operation by configuring the server using the Windows Deployment Services management console or by running WDSUTIL.exe /initialize-server, you must also add a Windows Vista WinPE boot image. Failing to do so will cause network boot attempts, made by client computers, to fail with an error similar to “TFTP Error - File Not found.”

So I'll see if I can find me one of those....

The "normal" Vista WinPE boot image it's refering to is the boot.wim on the vista DVD, once it has been added to the boot images section of WDS if it doesn't recognize that the client supports X64 run "wdsutil /set-server /architecturediscovery:yes".