Unofficial Service Pack 5 FAQ

Crusty01

Just cooked up this little FAQ for you guys.

Unofficial Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000 - The FAQ

critica

-What is the Unofficial Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000 ?

Micro$oft never released a Service Pack 5 for Windows 2000, even though they worked on it for a long time. In the end they axed it because they want people to move up to XP, and making the process of keeping your Windows 2000 up to date a major hassle is part of the harassment to force you to upgrade. (M$ of course denies this, but hey, what did you expect?).

As a result of this, if you want to keep your Windows 2000 system up to date, you need to go to Windows Update (WU), install a new version of WU, then reboot, run WU again, install some patches, reboot, run WU again, install some more patches, reboot, run WU again, install some more patches, reboot, run WU again, install some more patches, reboot...you get the picture ?

If you're like any sane person who thinks this is a major Pain In The A** (PITA) for just one computer, consider the troubles a network administrator has updating 50 computers accross a domain. Or 500.

Thankfully, not every sane programmer works only for money and as a result many alternative (more or less) automated ways of updating a Windows 2000 system or CD have sprung up all over the internet. Nlite and Autopatcher are a few of them but more exist.

Round about the beginning of 2005 a MSFN fellow named Gurgelmeyer decided to try to make something different and recreate what M$ should have released but didn't: a real service pack 5 for Windows 2000, with all the bells and whistles that comes with it. The main difference between a Service Pack and all the other ways of upgrading is that it's:

A: Just all the M$ patches, not third party drivers or fan-tweaks

B: Not just critical patches, but basically all available patches that normally get into a Service pack. And then some.

C: Can both be slipstreamed into a Windows CD or used as an upgrade for a currently installed system.

D: Will make WU happy. And, ergo, p*** off Bill who wants you to upgrade to XP.

-Which version is recommended ?

The latest version is Usp5.1 Final and is recommended. The latest version, it includes well over 400 official and unreleased post-Sp4 M$ patches for Windows 2000.

Upcoming versions will diversify a bit into a basic version and a deluxe/extreme version which will include more tweaks, bells, whistles, and maybe a kitchen sink too. Previous versions do not include all available updates for Internet Explorer (IE) and Outlook Express (OE) and are therefore not full upgrades.

-What does the current version contain?

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

All critical, recommended and optional hotfixes since SP4. In all, over 400.

Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1

Outlook Express 6.0 Service Pack 1

Windows Address Book 6

Microsoft Script Engines 5.6

Microsoft Installer 3.1 v2

Background Intelligent Transfers v2.0

(A full detail list of all the hotfixes is not yet available. But at least everything until January 2006 is included).

-What does the current version NOT contain?

The .NET runtimes (neither 1.1 nor 2.0)

DirectX 9.0c

The Latest MDAC components and their hotfixes.

(...but you can add those relatively easy in any unattended)

-Do I currently need to install additional hotfixes ?

Yes. Windows Update still lists 5 high-priority updates as of this moment, at least if you install DirextX 9.0c as well:

KB890830 (MS Antispyware Utility)

KB904706 (DirectX 9 patch)

KB908519 (W2k Patch)

KB911564 (Media Patch)

KB912919 (W2k Patch)

Either run WU or patch these into your unattended.

-What are all the different versions and what do they contain ?

Gurgelmeyer says:

"

USP 5.0 - Previously released

USP 5.0 contains all hotfixes for Windows (all that I know of) and for the built in versions of IE/OE/DX etc.

- USP 5.0 "Gold" (build 10) - released; contains ~350 hotfixes and security fixes

- USP 5.0 SR-1 (build 11) - released; contains >400 hotfixes and security fixes; corrects several registry bugs

from SP4

USP 5.0 - Previously released

- USP 5.0 SR-1a - in progress; will contain >50 additional hotfixes and all security updates

USP 5.1 - Previously released

USP 5.1 contains everything from USP 5.0 and furthermore it includes IE6/OE6/WAB6/SE56/MSI31/BITS2 and all hotfixes and security updates for those too. It also supports >127 GB IDE drives from text mode setup and onwards.

- USP 5.1 (build 18) - Previously released

USP 5.1 - Previously released

- USP 5.1 SR-1 - Previously released

contains >50 additional hotfixes and all security updates

-USP 5.1 FINAL - released

Contains all the latest hotfixes and updates. Current version.

USP 5.2 - Planned release:

USP 5.2 will contain everything from USP 5.1 and furthermore it will include NET11 + NET20 + DX9c +

MDX9c + MDAC28SP1 and all hotfixes and security updates for for those of course.

USP 5.5 / USP Extreme - Planned release

USP 5.5 / USP Extreme will contain everything from USP 5.2 and furthermore just about everything which is available for W2k at no charge from microsoft.com, including RDPClient, IE tools, TweakUI, MSConfig, Messenger etc. etc. Most of these extras will be optional components. (And Messenger will be detached from MS OE by default!) Furthermore it will contain a control panel applet named "System Options" which will allow you to enable/disable most of the known registry tweaks - and a few new ones. No third party applications/tools/executables are planned for the USPs - only exception might be USP Extreme.

Latest changes:

PLEASE NOTICE that the former "USP Version 5.1 Basic Edition" project has been renamed to just "USP 5.1"

- the former "USP Version 5.1 Standard Edition" project has been renamed to just "USP 5.2" - and finally the "USP Version 5.1 Extreme Edition" is now named "USP 5.5" or "USP Extreme"."

-Is Usp5 available for other language versions of Windows 2000 ?

In a word, no. Feel free to create one yourself and host it.

-How do I use it on my current Windows system ?

Download, open, and follow the instructions. Easy as 1, 2, 3. Unless you're dyslectic of course.

-How do I slipstream it into my Windows 2000 CD ?

Copy the Usp file to a nice, cozy place on your harddisk, like C:\Temp or similar.

Copy the contents of your Windows CD to another directory, like C:\w2kCD or similar.

Then open Start Menu -> run and type: C:\w2ksp5.exe /integrate:C:\W2kCD

The /s switch also works.

As an alternative, you can use a tool like Nlite to integrate it.

-Why should I use it?

Several reasons:

1: If you want a Windows 2000 CD with all the latest updates for Windows itself, IE6, OE6, MSI 3.1, BITS2, WU, and other components that WU keeps moaning about that behaves just like a normale slipstreamed Windows 2000 CD.

2: If you want to deploy every post-sp4 update from M$ as a single Service Pack accros a network or domain.

3: If you think all the other options to integrate M$ updates are a major PITA. Especially integrating stuff like IE6 and it's fixes is a major pain in the butt and can only be done with a lot of hacking.

-Why should I use this instead of Windows Update ?

Why shouldn't you? WU is a typical 'phone-home' program, requires you to authenticate all the time nowadays, and is, as described before, in general a major hassle.

-Why should I use this instead of other slipstream methods to update my Windows 2000 installation / CD ?

Several reasons come to mind:

1: Because Usp will not hack any files, and will behave just like a normal M$ Service Pack.

2: Because it is an easy, one-file-fix-all for M$ updates available for Windows 2000.

-Why shouldn't I use it ?

Although Usp5 seems to work fine, it's not very widely used (yet) and consequently, not very widely tested on a lot of different configurations. As such, if you're running a Windows 2000 server with Apache, SQL, an Oracle database o whatever for your local city hall or that Master Domain Server for 10.000 employees, it's probably not a good idea to update those systems with Usp5.

There are also some reported issues with some third party software, check the forum for details.

And, of course, if you feel paranoid about every patch not coming straight from Micro$oft.

Remember, use this at your own risk! Only you, and perhaps the boogieman, is responsible for any glitches, crashes, data loss, nuclear meltdowns and armed third-world conflicts that occur after using Usp5!

-Sounds great, where can I get it ?

Both Softpedia and Majorgeeks host the latest version of Usp5.

Follow these links:

Softpedia:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...icial-SP5.shtml

Majorgeeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Window..._5.1_d4817.html

-Do I need a previous service pack installed before I install Usp5 ?

In a word, no. Usp5 doesn't care if you installed a previous Service Pack or not. The reason it's so big is that it includes all the previous Service Packs as well. You can run this on a mint install CD, or a clean install of Windows, or a CD or Windows with any of the previous service pack installed. Usp5 behaves just like official M$ service packs in this respect.

-Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB891861), Why does it still show up on Windows Update ?

Gurgelmeyer:

"First of all, the MS URP1 IS in fact included in the USPs. So are the fixes for the problems that it introduces. However, Microsoft chose to add a new kernel mode (!!) driver to W2K in the MS URP1. This file system filter driver has never been part on W2K in the first place. Its main purpose is to intercept file access on behalf of DRM systems, although it can be (ab)used for just about any purpose. My opinion is, that introducing a new kernel mode driver less than 3 DAYS before mainstream support is ended is a very bad idea, so I've chosen not to include it in the USPs. WUv6 detects that this filter driver is not present on your system, and that is exactly why MS URP1 shows up. I've deliberately chosen not to attempt to suppress the MSURP1 on WU, because I think you should have the option to install this filter driver if you want it.

Hope that explains stuff - maybe I'll include it in USP 5.1 and just leave it disabled by default - donno."

In fact, the driver file IS present on the system, it's just not registered, which means that Windows isn't told that it exists via the registry.

-Why doesn't it contain Windows Media Player 10 ?

WMP 10 will not work in 2000. Microsoft hotwired it so you couldn't use it, no matter what. There are too many dependencies not found in 2000 files that are in XP files, and WMP10 talks to the XP kernel in ways that are simply unavailable in 2000. There was no reason to do this, it's just one of those little user harassments to make you upgrade to XP.

-Can I use Usp5 besides other update tools, like Autopatcher or Nlite ?

There are some hotfixes that Autopatcher sees as 'not installed' even with Usp5 applied. Update Rollup 1 is a typical one. It probably has to do with the Autopatcher guys using only the registry to recognize updates. Nlite works fine with Usp5.

-After I use Usp5, I still have Internet Explorer 5/Outlook Express 5.5 !!.

Versions below Usp5.1 do not have IE6 included. Use the latest version, 5.1 Final.

-After I use Usp5, I still have DirectX 7 !!

Usp 5.1 doesn't install a newer version. However, DirectX is relatively easily installed now that the latest version can be slipstreamed in an unattended. See the unattended forum for details. Upcoming versions will include DirectX 9.0c. If the latest D3DX Dll's will be included is uncertain.

-Can I use Windows Update after I have installed Usp5?

Yes, just make sure you:

1: ignore the warning about Update Rollup 1 not being installed; it IS.

2: make sure that all the required services are running (doh).

-If I install Usp 5 on a non-english version of Win2K, will it break stuff or will it just display some dialog boxes in both languages?

Usp5 will NOT work on non-English versions of Windows 2000.

-Will Usp5 make my Windows CD bigger? I need the space for my own added files.

Usp5 will NOT make your Windows CD bigger, in fact some duplicate files are deleted and you might end up with a smaller ISO. If you use Nlite to integrate Usp5 into your Windows CD the size depending on how you add or delete optional components the Windows CD can be downsized considerably.

Miscellaneous:

-What Windows 2000 compatibility version should I use?

Windows 2000 with Usp5 tells applications it's an SP4 installation.

-Is it compatible with WSUS, (Windows Software Update Service)?

If you mean that WSUS can check if SP5 is installed NO.

if you mean that you can use WSUS on a slipstreamed pc afterwards YES

-Something doesn't seem to work, it is Usp5's fault?

If you have computer trouble after applying Usp5 first make sure it's not the fault of something else, before reporting it as a bug in Usp5. Test the issue on other computers or reinstall your box the official way and see if the problem goes away. Most issues are usually the fault of drivers, hardware failures or registry cockups.

Try a registry cleaner, put your PC in the fridge to see if it's a heating issue with a CPU or Videocard (hint: Don't overclock), or try to properly uninstall Ati Catalyst drivers before installing a new version.

-Why bother? Just use XP.

Many people and even more businesses still work with Windows 2000.

Some of us don't have the money to upgrade to Windows XP, which is a PITA.

XP uses more memory and takes away up to 2.5 GB on your harddisk. Not counting System Restore.

System Restore.

XP looks like it's made for a 4-year old.

XP has Upnp and other wide gaping holes, despite it's inbuilt firewall.

2000 came with lots of s*** that you don't need. XP has more added s*** you don't need.

XP is less well developed than 2000. 2000 is mature and it's quirks and issues are well known.

Windows XP Home edition is nothing but a crippled version of Windows XP Professional.

XP OEM version now only work on a single motherboard, which is a PITA.

XP is overpriced and underperforming.

Two words: Product Activation.

-Does Gurgelmeyer has a life outside MSFN?

Apparently not as this must have been a LOT of work. Then again, who DOES have a life? Also, the G-man is

currently really ill, so wish him well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you guys like it, took me about a little over 3 hours. If you like it, make it a sticky.

Feel free to let rip any comments, corrections, additions or deletions.

Cheers,

Crusty

Edited by Crusty01

• 2 weeks later...
-What does the current version contain?

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

All critical, recommended and optional hotfixes since SP4. In all, over 400.

Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1

Outlook Express 6.0 Service Pack 1

Windows Address Book 6

Microsoft Script Engines 5.6

Microsoft Installer 3.1 v2

Background Intelligent Transfers v2.0

(A full detail list of all the hotfixes is not yet available. But at least everything until January 2006 is included).

-What does the current version NOT contain?

The .NET runtimes (neither 1.1 nor 2.0)

DirectX 9.0c

The Latest MDAC components and their hotfixes.

(...but you can add those relatively easy in any unattended)

-Do I currently need to install additional hotfixes ?

Yes. Windows Update still lists 5 high-priority updates as of this moment, at least if you install DirextX 9.0c as well:

KB890830 (MS Antispyware Utility)

KB904706 (DirectX 9 patch)

KB908519 (W2k Patch)

KB911564 (Media Patch)

KB912919 (W2k Patch)

Either run WU or patch these into your unattended.

Crusty, many thanks. Gurgelmeyer, :yes:

I just wanted to check if Media Player 9 is in there - I think so. If so, I think there might be another (Media Patch) KB911565.

Also, once you create the slipped folder, can you simply slip the other 4-5 (not including the DX9 patch) patches into the new 5.1 installation?

Thanks again, fellas.

Edited by PVU

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am very sorry but alas I CANNOT share the compiler.

It is a very closely guarded secret.

I call bulls*** on this statement. -_- The compiler, in fact, is the internal Microsoft tool called sfxcab.exe. There is no secret and there is no reason why you can't share it. People want to be able to make sfxcab packages and this refusing to share this crucial tool is utter bulls***. Stop being a dick and share it. Who cares what the previous person wanted. Plus, sfxcab has already been cracked in another thread, so it isn't like people can't make them. The problem is that it is a tedious hex editing job and it would be a lot easier if we could f***ing have this tool! :angrym:

It is because of asses like you that we won't share it.

The person who sent it to me kindly asked that I not share it and I see his reasoning because we don't need 6,000 new SP packs out there.

If you know so much about it then find a copy of it for yourself.

P.S. PHQU on the attitude, it will get you nowhere!