Installing Office 2003 Post SP2 Patches After Unattended Installation

Nucleus

From what I've seen so far, it cannot be done, but since I would really like to do it, I have to ask.

Is there a way to install all the MS patches that have been released after Office 2003 SP2, during/after the Office 2003 unattended installation? I want to avoid slipstreaming as much as possible, and use an "SVCPACK.inf" method for office patches. Just like windows patches.

I believe that the reason it cannot be done, is because during the patches installation, the office 2003 installation CD is required. If there was a way to tell each patch where the CD is, then it would probably continue installing without asking for it.

Any ideas?

i install them from RunOnceEx, the switches are:

Q:A R:N

example:

REG ADD %KEY%\085 /VE /D "Office Updates" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\085 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\officeupdates\KB892843.exe /Q:A /R:N" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\085 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\officeupdates\KB905648.exe /Q:A /R:N" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\085 /V 3 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\officeupdates\KB907417.exe /Q:A /R:N" /f

for svcpack.inf im not sure if it can be done but i think this same switches will do the work.

Still, same problem. The only update I could install with this method is KB905645. The rest of the updates (KB907417,KB911961) ask for the CD to finish the installation, although I downloaded the KB******-FullFile.exe versions.

A quick answer to your questions.

Is there a way to install all the MS patches that have been released after Office 2003 SP2, during/after the Office 2003 unattended installation? I want to avoid slipstreaming as much as possible, and use an "SVCPACK.inf" method for office patches. Just like windows patches.

I believe that the reason it cannot be done, is because during the patches installation, the office 2003 installation CD is required. If there was a way to tell each patch where the CD is, then it would probably continue installing without asking for it.

I have successfully installed the office updates after the SP2 update in an unattended installation. With Office 2003 you can create a .mst to do all of your settings, etc. You need to configure the local installation source . . . basically leaving a copy of the CD on your harddrive for future use. This will get around your problem of needing the CD.

Also, it is best to chain the SP2 and hotfix installs, instead of slipstreaming, to allow use of the office update site. Installs can be chained in the files\setup\setuppro.ini file. At the very end include a section like this for additional installs.

[ChainedInstall_1]
TaskName=Office 2003 SP2 Install
Path="\updates\office2003sp2.exe"
CmdLine="/q"
TaskType=exe
Display=none

[ChainedInstall_2]
TaskName=Office 2003 KB892843 Update Install
Path="\updates\office2003kb892843.exe"
CmdLine="/q"
TaskType=exe
Display=none

[ChainedInstall_3]
TaskName=Office 2003 KB907417 Update Install
Path="\updates\office2003kb907417.exe"
CmdLine="/q"
TaskType=exe
Display=none

Hope this helps. B)

how are you installing offfice? did you make an admin install and use mst file to answer the setup? this is the way i use it and the updates installs fine wiithout asking for anything.

I do not use an administrative install point because of the fact that office update will not work with it. You have to update the administrative install point, which then pushes to the computers and that can be a mess. So, instead of slipstreaming SP2 and extra updates, I use a chained install. If you go to the microsoft office site and search for "chained install", you should get some hits on how to do it.

The .mst file is created using the custom installation wizard which is part of the office 2003 resource kit. Using the .mst file in conjunction with the setuppro.ini allows for many customization options.

This type of setup can be run silently with a simple command line:

setuppro.exe TRANSFORMS=setupoffice2003.mst /qb-

/qn for totally silent

This method takes use of the setuppro.ini file and the .mst file. You could also use a msiexec command with the pro11.msi and achieve similar results, but wouldn't be able to use the chained install.

So, you have a couple options. I hope I didn't confuse everyone. :blushing: