Disable remote login from commandline

Hi all,

I posted this in the Windows XP forum, and then noticed that there was a security forum here. I apologize for the cross-post in advance.

I'm working on a windows installer that adds a new user to the system to run scheduled tasks.

For security, I want to disable remote login for that account. There's a utility for windows that can do this (ntrights.exe), but it's only part of the Resource Kit and not installed by default. I can't depend on the kit being installed - I have to assume the end user won't have it. I also can't re-distribute ntrights.exe as part of my installer - we don't want to make Microsoft angry :)

So far I am thinking maybe there is a solution that falls into one of the following:

1) is it possible to disable remote login through registry editing somehow?

2) can I export the "disable remote login" part of a security policy and re-apply just that one rule during installs using gpedit or whatever? Not sure that this is possible, or that it would work on XP Home/Pro and 2000, but maybe..

3) is there an open-source tool or something else I can use to do this?

4) Maybe there is another utility that is installed with windows that will do this, and I missed it somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Virindi