Dual Core Pentium D Temps?

phillyman2004

Alright this is my 5th machine to build ......but my first Dual Core ......I just installed CPU, Memory, PSU and Videocard.....turned it on to see what it would read

Remember there are no Harddrives or Optical drives inside yet

One 80mm fan on the front .....Intake

One 120mm fan on back ....Outtake

Powersupply has an internal fan that only turns on when PSU gets hot ....external always runs

Pentium D 820 2.8 Dual Core

CPU = 59

M1 = 36

M2 = 33

The 2 fans are stock fans ......the CPU fan is a ThermalTake Blue Orb 2 with Artic Silver 5.....any info as to where the temps should be idle and under load would help me alot

enlargedpic18bh.jpg

i would say anything over 80C is dangerous.

you could get a better heatsink like the big typhoon or the sythe ninja

Maybe if it doesnt change in a few days .......I will reseat the heatsink .......make sure that the Thermal paste was covering the whole chip

I basically did a blob about the size of a pea ......maybe bigger ......then smeared it around with the tip of the artic silver tube to the size of a dime.......then put the heatsink on top to press it further out

Maybe it wasnt enough to spread totally out to the sides of the chip .....who knows ......but that heatsink was $45

Would rather not have to go buy another

Edited by phillyman2004

Are those idling or full-load temps?

If they're full-load, that's perfectly fine. If it's idle, you might want to reseat the heatsink. (Thermal compound does *not* have to cover the entire CPU surface, only the middle where the core is is important.)

Also check to see if you have an adjustable-speed fan, and that it isn't set to Low.

Are those idling or full-load temps?

If they're full-load, that's perfectly fine. If it's idle, you might want to reseat the heatsink. (Thermal compound does *not* have to cover the entire CPU surface, only the middle where the core is is important.)

Also check to see if you have an adjustable-speed fan, and that it isn't set to Low.

These are Idle at the BIOS screen .......i just reseated and moved what was pushed out to the sides .....to the middle of the CPU chip.......still at 60c

im gonna try a faster 120mm Fan on the back of the unit.......maybe its not drawing out air fast enough

Other then that i have no clue what to do

Sometimes the chipbed is uneven on a mobo, or the retention bracket/spring will cause the chip to not sit flush w/ your heatsink.

Most of the time, the heatsink is drenched in thermal paste so it's not that serious of an issue.

You however, seem to understand how thermal paste is supposed to be applied so keep in mind a pea sized amount is going to require more attention to subtle details.

Grab a piece of carbon paper and mount your heatsink. Take off the heatsink and examine the carbon paper to see where contact is not being made. Grab some sandpaper and lap accordingly.

The D's do run a bit hot but 40c (idle) if not less should be acheivable with a better CPU cooler.

Also, check if there is a mobo update and google the mobo to see if others report high temps as well. The Abit IS-7's for example, generally report higher than actual CPU temps.

Edited by LiquidSage

Intel CPUs have automatic overheating protection. They'll slow down if the temperature exceeds ~72°C, and shut down completely at 120°. It's almost impossible to damage them by overheating.