Connection speeds around the world

Team929

I've been reading a few posts recently about "6Mbps service in the UK", the poll about "sallelite vs. cable" and "Korea, Japan having faster connections" to name a few, and just got wondering. What's the "normal" connection speed in your country? "Normal" is very ambigious so let me define it as a broadband service under US$40-$50.

There was a poll about a year ago on this site (yea, I've been around a year... just never posted much :) ) regarding this and I think a lot of people here were 512k or 1.5M?? I'm from the US (in Japan the last 3 years) and am out of touch with the US market. I had a 1.5Mbps cable service 4 years ago, if I remember correctly, for about $45 and would like to know what I'm in for if I were to just pack up and leave right now. I have a 12Mbps ADSL service for about $27 right now and would hate to pay that amount again! :rolleyes:

you are s***ting me???? you have got it made man!!! i live in brunei on the island of borneo... ( look it up on the map, i cant be bothered trying to explain where it is i live everytime i chat on the net!!!) i'm subscribing adsl here, the speed range is only from 128kbs to 512kbs for the public... i have heard that they have 768kbs also but only for government use.....WOW!!! (yeah rite!!). i can only afford the lowest speed, 128kbps and i have to pay $98 brunei dollars a month (divide by 1.7 for $us) not including installation and registraton fees which is about B$400+ here which gives me a dynamic ip line, probably shared by a few users... so my fantastic 128kbps line goes not much better than dial up used to + they have the worst service here imaginable.

so why do i put up with this??? because i have to, because there is only one service provider here, because they monopolise the whole market of about 300k population and being partly owned by the royal family and the government here does not help matters. so i hope you now have at least an idea of the situation in one part of this magnificent world...... but hey! on the bright side, at least i have BROADBAND and its still fantastic.... just wish i had your service :)))

jk9339@yahoo.com

512kbps ADSL is the current average in the UK, can go up to 2mb/sec, but mostly its for businesses but its in the process of being offered for home users. There's also several exchanges in London that's offering 6Mbps ADSL (and London only :) )

For cable users, most people are probably on 1Mbps, with the option to upgrade to 2Mbps (Not NTL though)

Couple of towns in Scotland are being fed the Internet via power lines, 1Mbit both ways

And me, stuck in a remote part of England, on a trusty 56k. bah.

Wel I am not a current broadband user but from what I have seen on the pricing...You better stay where you are. I've not seen anything for less than $35 typically.

Yeah, in the UK its 512kb/sec...

As Aaron said there is 2mb cable available for home users (very soon).

BT, my ISP, one of the largest does not offer 1mb DSL which really gets on me tits, lol...

That 6mb DSL is £99.99 :)

Hope BT bring out the 1mb DSL soon... Want it, now!!

LOL AaronXP

Get a Second Line and youve got it Made :)

Make Sure your COnnecting with MPPC Compression Enabled and youll Be Loading the html of Sites at up to 25kilobytes/sec

:rolleyes: and if youve got 48.8 or Above Speeds you can DL up to 500 Megs a Day.

Broadband Is not Neccesary if you dont need the Demands of Downloading Gigs a day and Pro Gaming Online :D

WOW!!!

And here I am complaining... :rolleyes:

I get 5.8 Mbps out of my 12M service right now but that's only with Japanese sites it seems. I'm usually browsing through non-Japanese sites and stuff and it only gives me about 1.8Mbps I think. So all in all, about the same I guess with you guys.

I also just found out that my provider is going to have a 26Mbps ADSL service starting today, for about US$31... I think I'll sign up.. :)

There are about 4 major ISPs right now and are trying hard to get customers so the competition is very high.

Anybody in Korea?? would love to know about the services there...

well in my area i get 768 kb/s dsl for 30$ so i can't complaine considering i wanted it for my network, and other things. it f***ed up though, if i go 124 miles south they can get cable internet at 1.5nb/s for around 50. but screw them i'm just glad to have high speed..i was on dialup forever. :)

I have a super crappy 256/128Kbit conection, or a least I should have! ... I never download at more than 180Kbit! :) ... Im getting VDSL as soon as its available ... or I'll hack my cable modem ... Whatever is cheapest :D

PS: My conection is capable of doing 30Mbit downstream ... Do you know how anoying that is?! The image is from a password-protected page on my modem :rolleyes:

post-2-1056524737_thumb.png

is that a Sattalite Down/Up Stream COnnection ?

maybe you dont DL fast coz of Sattalite Congestion .. allot of Sats where moved over to the area arround the war.

ANother could be your ISP is COngested or your Downloading from SLow Servers.