Slipstream Office 2003 SP2

apex2000

So is the consensus here that it's messy to try to slipstream anything past Office 2003 SP2 because sometimes internet update sites don't recognise you've actually got the hotfixes due to a flawed checking method?

Messy may not be the best way to describe it.

there are currently two different engines to identify what patches you need

1. http://update.microsoft.com We refer to it as Microsoft Update or MU.

2. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/maincatalog.aspx We refer to Office updates or OU.

Microsoft updates does not inventory your office install it merely checks the add remove programs list in your registry. If a patch is not in the proper add remove programs Registry Key then Microsoft updates ASSUMES you dont have it. You might have it installed properly it just isn't in the add remove programs list.

Office updates performs its own version of an inventory of your actual Office install and is somewhat accurate. It will not show any slipstreamed patches as still being needed. even if they are not in add remove programs.

So, it's not a "sometimes" thing. It's every time. MU fails to identify hotfixes and OU does not fail.

Knowing that MU is only looking for a few missing registry entries makes for an easy fix - just add the missing registry entrys. It's simple, easy, and effective. No muss no fuss.

The key is to use OU to make sure you slipstreamed the updates properly, add the missing keys, and then MU will work as expected afterwards.

I dont know that the checking is flawed it is just two different methods. One is obviously better. B)

• 2 months later...

How can I slipstream SP2 and hotfixes in OEM office versions?

I can't use command line x:\setup.exe /a because don't want enter cd key, because i want do unnatended intall with updates for many OEM users

Edited by Xeops

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
hi all,

I have a solution, I'll explain you how I did:

The problem is Update for InfoPath 2003 (KB920103):

you
don't
need Office 2003 PIA

you
need

After slipstreaming Update for InfoPath 2003 (KB920103) into Office 2003 Professional with SP2 there are two errors in PRO11.MSI.

To fix:

• download
    :

• double click downloaded
    IntelSDK.msi
    and follow the instruction to install

• go in the folder where you have install to (default
    D:\MsiIntel.SDK
    ) then under folder
    Tools
    (
    D:\MsiIntel.SDK\Tools
    )

• double click
    Orca.msi
    and install it

• backup
    PRO11.MSI
    with
    Update for InfoPath 2003 (KB920103)

• run Orca

• with Orca open
    PRO11.MSI
    with
    Update for InfoPath 2003 (KB920103)

• then in the
    Tables
    column (left) click on
    File
    , scroll down the rigth column until end, at the bottom you will see the last two rows like:

File                                        Component_                      Sequence

IPCLRWRP.DLL_0001            Global_PIA_XDocsWrapper2            

INFOPATH.CFG                      Global_PIA_XDocsWrapper2            

• change the numbers under Sequence into:

File                                        Component_                      Sequence

IPCLRWRP.DLL_0001            Global_PIA_XDocsWrapper2              

INFOPATH.CFG                      Global_PIA_XDocsWrapper2              

post-109931-1157915768_thumb.jpg

• save PRO11.MSI
  • create image, burn it and try...

I have the same problem with FrontPage 2003. I tried as above and failed to slipstream INFOPATH.msp with error code 1642. Any help?

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I have slipstreamed Office 2003 with SP3

I can tell what worked for me. I got all the way to "monnezza" post except the InfoPath hotfix would not slipstream with SP3.

So I created the slipstream like the website http://www.petri.co.il/office_system_2003_...ipstreaming.htm says to with SP2.

Got the same error message "insert disk”, when trying to install from CD. Tried to slipstream InfoPath hotfix got an error message "The upgrade patch cannot be install by the Windows Installer" I really didn't think to get a screen shot but I can make the error message again and post it if you want. I then disregarded up to the part "run Orca" in "monnezza" post. Adjust the two files in Orca. Burned a CD with UltraISO.

Tested the new CD on the first laptop I tried to receive the error message "insert a disk", and the install then went through. Tested on a W2K3 server, that never had an install of Office 2003. Just to make sure and both worked.

I was not going to post at first but then I thought better, as I lay down to start the next day I was complied to post (I guess you can call it guilt), I find myself writing to tell you how I found a work around. The key to my success was trail & error. I just need to find the work around a lot quicker next time. I also found out why I love my job ;)

Thanks to all who have posted about this.

The information is accurate but is is spread out over multiple pages and has confused at least one user.

It also doesn't address office sp3 because of its age.

Does that count as depreciated?

Edited by OverFlow