Deploying Windows TABLET-PC

NL-Stitch

I'm having a lot of trouble deploying taplet-pc 2005 on an old tablet pc.

Because i have no cd-rom drive on the tablet-pc , i copied the setup folders to a second partition on the pc's hard-drive.

I then folowed this guide, Just in case of mass-traffic, I post the guide here,

INSTALLING WINDOWS XP FROM MSDOS

There are a few things you should do before starting the install procedure.

1. Verify that your computer hardware is compatible with Windows XP, not all devices are. Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/, the Microsoft Windows Hardware Quality Labs Web site. Here you will find the compatibility information and you can download and install drivers for your hardware to make them XP ready.

2. Check to see that you meet system requirements for XP at: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/whql/hcl/WinXPHCLx86.txt

3. Read text documents for critical last minute information using C:(or whatever your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is)\Docs\Read1st.txt.

4. Read XP Release notes from: Drive(C: or whatever)\Docs\RelNotes.htm

5. For newer or other information that updates XP documentation: Drive:\Readme.htm

6. Create and format a FAT32 file system partition on the hard disk. See Knowledge Base Article-Q255867 to learn how to Fdisk and Format a hard disk

7. Remember that 383 megabytes (MB) of free disk space is needed to copy installation file during Setup.

To start Windows XP setup from MSDOS:

* Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD/DVD-ROM drive.

* Use a Windows 98 startup disk to start the computer to an MS-DOS prompt with CD-ROM support. If you do not have a Win98 startup disk or your boot menu does not allow you to start to an MSDOS prompt, you can get one at www.bootdisk.com or read Microsoft Knowledge Base Article-Q187632-which tells you how to create a Windows 98 Startup Disk that supports FAT32.

* Start SMARTDrive, if not already started. It should be on the Win98 startup disk. To do this find the folder that contains Smartdrive.exe. Type smartdrv-->Press Enter. NOTE: If you do not use SMARTDrive, be prepared for a very long install session. ***

Look for the Smartdrv.exe file on the MS-DOS startup disk. If it's not there, you can copy it to your boot floppy from the \Windows\Command folder of any version of Windows 95/98/Me.

* At the command prompt type D: (or whatever you CD/DVD-ROM drive is)-->Press Enter.

* Type cd\i386-->Press Enter.

* Type winnt.exe-->Press Enter. Then Windows Setup starts.

* Type the path to the Windows XP Installation files-->Press Enter (For example- d:\i386)

* Setup copies files to the hard drive. When complete the following message appears: The MS-DOS based portion of Setup is complete. Setup will now restart your computer. After the computer restarts, Windows XP Setup will continue. If there is a floppy disk in drive A:, remove it now.

* Press Enter to restart your computer and continue Windows XP Setup. Remove any floppy disks, then press Enter to continue. Follow the steps to select and format a partition in which to install Windows XP.

* If there is only one partition, do not delete it from the list of existing partition because Windows XP has copied the installation files to that partition.

* Want to convert from a FAT32 file system to an NTFS? You can do it later.

* Setup copies the files needed for XP Setup and the computer restarts

* If you previously chose NTFS as your file system, Windows checks the drive for errors and then restarts.

* XP Setup resumes in GUI (Graphical User Interface) mode, the opposite of text mode.

* Follow the steps in Windows Setup Wizard to complete the installation.

I did everything as above, i downloaded smartdrv from internet and included it on my bootfloppy which i got from bootdisk.com

I launced winnt.exe , it said that files where copied to hard-drive. When the copy of files step ended, it said it had to reboot and i should remove all floppy's, and setup would automaticly continue, i rebooted... and got a message saying: no operating system found. WTH?! The setup did NOT made any MBR.. Why not ?

I also tried installing the tablet-pc software while using the hard-drive of the tablet-pc on a desktop, i installed windows xp, and then just put the hard-disk back into the tablet-pc , and what did i get , a black screen, 30 minutes long, which after that, i gave up. I think it had to do with acpi/hal systems ( that is what the ms website said)

What should i do ? should i copy another windows xp (without tablet pc) installation cd to the tablet pc's hard-drive? and deploy tablet-pc later ?

EDIT: I am currently using this solution;

I have mad the first partition active with fdisk.

Did not load smartdrv, machine was copying files whole night, still copying,

It's results will be posted here

Non the less.. suggestions?

stitch

Edited by NL-Stitch