Cakewalk Pyro 2004 quit working

Charles, I went ahead and followed your instructions and once again, while doing the re install, I got the error message :"GLJ6062 caused exception 10H in module msvcr71.dll at 0177:7c375516" I HAVE NO IDEA what the heck that means. I got a similar error each time before when I tried to re install Pyro.

I tried to do the DX9 fix and it wouldn't let me as it didn't seem to recognise when I put the CDrom for Pyro into the CD drive.

Are you suggesting that I start all over and uninstall and reinstall the OEM software that came with the PC? I have the HP recovery disc if that's what you are referring to. I suppose first I would have to make a back up CD with the things I added on since this was new?

On top of itself is the first choice as it most likely won't screw your third party software installation.

Then if this doesn't work, it does not always do, then yes.

The problem with you is that you don't give many details so you cannot be helped properly.

I have just read your last post. It's a problem in msvcr71.dll

Try another version of this file. That's where the problem is apparently.

I only know of two versions 7.10.3052.4 and 8.0.21213.0

Which one is yours ?

Sorry to say, I am not a computer literate person. The details I gave are what I thought were relevant information.

Where would I find msvcr71.dll?

"I only know of two versions 7.10.3052.4 and 8.0.21213.0" I am not sure what that is, either.

Msvcr71.dll is a file written by Microsoft that several application may need to actually work. It's what is called a runtime. Your OS does not need it but some applications written with MS developement tools do, and this file can be installed along with many software you install. Just like the VB runtimes if you've ever heard about that.

You'll find that file in your system folder (c:\windows\system) most probably but maybe also in your Pyro folder.

So go with windows explorer in both places and look if you find this file.

You can also use the windows search facilty to locate any other possible occurence of this file on your computer.

When you have found it, right click on it and choose properties.

There will be a tab with the version number.

We're not sure but maybe that's the cause of your problem.

Pyro makes use of a version of msvcr71.dll that it is not compatible with its operation for some reason.

You can try and see whether it's this or not the problem. I would somehow guess it's not as I have read your post better and it's the installer that fails so that you can't even reinstall Pyro.

Pyro does not work normally, Pyro installer does not work normally and there is a fix for it but you can't use it as your system does not recognize the CD in the drive ? Can you read other CDs ?

And how did you try to reinstall when you got your msvcr71.dll messages ? From the CD or not from the CD ?

Perhaps I was not clear enough. When I insert the CD rom to install Pyro, it goes through it's cycles normally and then this error shows up. I click on it and it goes away anPyro continues to finish the install like normal. Then, when I got to play a file it won't play it. It says to make sure it is not in use. I can play that same file normally with Windows player or with Nero 6.

Here is something I just tried : I put in a CD and it spun up. I opened Pyro to rip tracks from a Cd and I clicked on the file and it played. I was successful in ripping the track to a file folder, yet when I tried to play this it would not play. I went in and played this with Windows media player. This makes no sense to me.

You won't believe this, but Pyro inexplicably started to work again. Just for the heck of it I opened it and clicked on a file and it played. I have no idea why as I didn't do anything else to fix it. I put the file in the box to burn a cd and it started.