USB 2 / SiS chipset

That might work. The one on my motherboard cd seems to be a later version however (but only by a few months.) Ninho should check the dates. Also, I don't have a sisusb2.inf but only the usb2.inf on my cd. My inf causes it to be listed as Microsoft Standard Enhanced, etc. The one in this file will just call it Enhanced, etc.

I would try the one on your cd first unless the download is specifically for your board and is a later version.

-ah, finally, a thread with my exact SiS usb 2.0 long-running headaches! :yes:

-I'm having the exact same problem as this thread's creator: tried EVERYTHING, all mentioned in here and then some, several times each over the past 3 yrs that I've had this ANNOYING Matsonic 9327e+usb mobo (Sis 650GL, 7001/7002)... and the closest I get, is usb 2.0 APPEARING to be properly installed in device manager, but definitely no usb 2.0 speeds, same as poster... tried sooo many different drivers: all OS's drivers, all sis drivers, all orangeware drivers, all MS drivers, Maximus Decim, usbman, and one other that I believe Petr referred me to in a recent thread, to no avail... yet 2.0 works perfectly, with native MS drivers, in XP...

The final result was: MDGx said, well, sometimes you're just screwed... lol... and I firmly (tho unfortunately) believe this... sigh :realmad:

gl all, if ANYONE gets 7002 usb 2.0 ACTUAL SPEEDS in 98se, please let us know how!

>;]

Ahhh! So you mean it all looks great in my device manager but if I actually had USB 2.0 hard drives and such, I'd be limited to 1.1 speeds, eh?

That's strange how Via and Nvidia provide easily installable 98SE/Me USB 2.0 drivers but all SiS offers is a patch that disables the controller from autoexec on every Windows boot. The latest one for my Via board's is always posted on viaarena. Don't even need the older one on the motherboard cd.

Still, I think I'd rather have some driver connected to the hardware even if it's a null function, rather than needing to run something from autoexec to turn it off all the time.

My Asus board is looking better all the time. The last couple of days I've needed to switch off and on my power supply switch to get the Foxconn SiS board to power on. Hmmm, no wonder it's $35. Perhaps I won't bother swapping out the A7V880 with the 2nd Foxconn board. My ATI x850Pro wasn't crashing while gaming at 400FSB speeds, but I had read so much about everybody else's problems that I thought I was CMA by ordering the SiS boards.

Then again, I play a lot of old stuff like Galaxian! Not too taxing I suppose.

My new M-Audio Revo 5.1 is at the post office so the last piece of the new setup will be here tomorrow. I guess I will wind up installing the new Foxconn as I at least have to be sure it's not DOA. I'll see how it works on XP. I'll have to talk to the happy Microsoft activation folks again on the phone. They're gonna think I'm wacky, only using a single computer but changing everything, including the motherboard, every few weeks. Good thing it's a retail XP Home.

Ah, PsycoUnc... now at least I feel less lonely...

Since my last post here, I too have tried the NUSB2 thing, plus the part of 98SEtoME that supposedly upgrades USB 2 support and even replaced the shell and shell32 components. And it has changed nothing :( The USB 2 controller is still handled (?) by the OrangeWare, and not used by the actual devices...

A couple questions still

- is this normal ? I fancied that, after going to NUSB2 and 98SEtoME, I would no longer need the OrangeWare but the chipset would be handled by drivers from MS. Yet if I uninstall Orangeware I don't find new drivers for my SiS USB 2, or am I not pointing Windows to the right place ? Is there a low level driver sleeping inside the ME cabs which I need decompress by hand or what ?

- can someone tell positively if Windows ME ( the real thing) does handle our SiS USB 2 chipsets properly ? Not that I will ever install ME itself, but if the answer to this question is positive, then it maybe worthwhile pursuing.

Thanks again to everybody on this great board

--

Ninho

-excellent question: does standard ME handle sis 7002 usb2.0 speeds properly? My ME install was "proprietary" for an old Gateway which has since been hardware-upgraded to the point that a full proper ME install won't work (anti-piracy issues), no matter what I try... so I can't test this... but yes, I'd REALLY like to know, as well...

>;]

I have tried to check what is on the Orangewre website and INF files and it seems to be like this:

1. Orangeware has no service or support for end customers, just for OEMs.

2. OEMs that sign the contract will receive the login name/password and can download:

from http://www.orangeware.com/usb2oemICH4.html

http://www.orangeware.com/1102/Intelv1_2.zip

This driver supports Intel ICH4 and ICH5 EHCI controlers with any subvendor and subdevice ID number.

This driver supports Windows 98/ME only.

This driver (version 1.1.0.2) is available from many different OEM websites.

from http://www.orangeware.com/oemusb2.html

http://www.orangeware.com/1102/U2v242.exe

This driver supports ATI, ALi, Nvidia, VIA EHCI controllers with any subvendor and subdevice ID number and NEC, SiS and Intel ICH4 with specific subvendor and subdevice ID numbers.

The latest version of this driver I have found on Kouwell website: http://www.kouwell.com.tw/driver/USB/2580N.zip and it is version 2.4.0.0.

From http://www.orangeware.com/updateusb2oemtrial.html

http://www.orangeware.com/1102/U2v241t.exe

This driver supports all EHCI compliant USB controllers but it times out at the end of each month.

It would be interesting to see if this driver really works on the in this thread mentioned SiS motherboards, as well as on boards with Intel ICH5, ICH6, ICH7 southbridges.

3. Since the latest service packs for Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003 contain EHCI drivers, there is no longer any reason to use Orangeware drivers on these systems. (I suppose)

4. The only systems that still require Orangeware drivers remain Windows 98SE and ME now.

5. All motherboard manufaturers see almost no demand for Windows 98SE/ME support and therefore not want to pay royalties and for adding new IDs.

6. There are still people who want to run Windows 98SE or ME on newer motherboards with SiS, NEC or Intel chipsets but no driver is available. And probably never will be if no OEM will ask to add the right IDs to the Orangeware driver.

Petr

-excellent question: does standard ME handle sis 7002 usb2.0 speeds properly? My ME install was "proprietary" for an old Gateway which has since been hardware-upgraded to the point that a full proper ME install won't work (anti-piracy issues), no matter what I try... so I can't test this... but yes, I'd REALLY like to know, as well...

>;]

Windows Me never contained USB 2.0 driver, as of older systems, it was introduced just to Windows 2000 SP4.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/U...SB2support.mspx

But I have just found in Windows XP usbport.inf the following lines:

%PCI\CC_0C0320.DeviceDesc%=EHCI.Dev,PCI\CC_0C0320	  
; provides backward compatibilty with USB2.0 on WinMe and
; Windows 2000
%USB\ROOT_HUB20.DeviceDesc%=ROOTHUB.Dev,USB\ROOT_HUB20

; --------------------------------------------------------------
; EHCI
; --------------------------------------------------------------

; For Win95...
[EHCI.Dev]
AddReg=EHCI.AddReg, USB.AddReg
CopyFiles=OHCI.CopyFiles,USB.CopyFiles
DelFiles=USB.DelFiles

[EHCI.AddReg]
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,usbehci.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages,,"usbui.dll,USBControllerPropPageProvider"

[EHCI.CopyFiles]
usbehci.sys
usbport.sys

I don't know if it could mean that these drivers could be used on 9x systems.

Has anybody tested it?

(BTW, EHCI = USB 2.0, UHCI = USB 1.0 and 1.1, OHCI = Firewire and USB 1.0 and 1.1, AHCI = SATA)

Petr

Hi again ! This msg poses two questions, astutely labelled 1. & 2; :;)

1. Using the win 2000 inf : no way...

I've just checked again - I remember now, I must have tried it before, just after I had built this machine - and definitely NO, the AsRock/SiS provided drivers intended for Windows 2k will not install on 98 SE.

There are at least 2 problems, one trivial : the "inf" file is unicode and Win 98 will not even try to read it I believe, and 2. even if it were converted to 8-bit text, it is 2k only, would need serious revision by one of our competent fellows.

One could copy the USBEHCI.SYS, USBHUB20.SYS and USBPORT.SYS of win 2k to the DRIVERS folder of windows 98 SE/ME and there is a faint possibility they might work PROVIDED, of course, a tissue of relations was properly established in the Registry base. Which in part is what the "inf" are for...

Can someone with experience in "inf" files and "sys" WDM driver on '98 look into this ? I know my way with old style Windows "vxd" drivers, I even wrote a few of these (in assembler!) but I have no idea and no docs whatsoever about the WDM... :-(

Or by chance there is a working on 98 "inf" file somewhere which could serve at least as a model ? Among us are people with, I believe, access to many brands of computers & motherboards. It would be interesting to look at ALL the modern mobos with SiS chipsets.

2. Orangeware trial driver for developpers (cf. Petr) :

The link provided to the expiring trial USB 2 driver by OrangeWare is password protected. Could we be lucky enough to find a non-protected download, for evaluation (cough) ?

2. Orangeware trial driver for developpers (cf. Petr) :

The link provided to the expiring trial USB 2 driver by OrangeWare is password protected. Could we be lucky enough to find a non-protected download, for evaluation (cough) ?

Hi Ninho, I have written "OEMs that sign the contract will receive the login name/password" in my post - and I know none, I'm sorry.

Petr

i'm not real good with this stuff but i

have a drivers & utility disk.take a look at this file and see if what u need is in here.

Ack! Could give it a try... ProblemChyld, could you in addition please post a link to - or mail - the accompanying three usb*sys files, in case they are different from their Win 2k counterparts ?

Cheers,

--

Ninho (mail to ninho _at_ infonie _dot_ fr )

these are the ones for 98 with sis and the disk has 2000/xp on it if needed

Your file, WIN98.7Z , seems to contain only a WIN2K foder. Did you not forget to include the 98/ME part, or am I missing something ?