A8N-SLI Premium w/ 4gb Memory

MajikUF

I've been reading about people having issues running 4gb of memory on their A8N-SLI boards. What the word on the street is that the non Opteron AMD processors only support 6 channels of memory. Why this would be a problem is that the memory chips that people put in their computers suchs as (TWINX2048-3200C2PRO) that I currently have in my computer now have memory on both sides, which apparently means that there would be 2 channels on each chip instead of 1. So, if I had 4 1gb chips on the board, I now have 8 channels as opposed to the max 6 which causes compatibility issues.

Anyway, this sounds like BS to me because why would the MB makers say their boards will support 4gb with 4x1gb chips if it isn't the case.

Can I get a sanity check here and maybe someone who has 4gb running perfect on their premium board? I'm currently running the Vista CTP, but will probably run XP64 until Vista RTMs. I won't be running any 32bit OS, so I don't need to know any of the issues with that, just the 64-bit OSs.

Thanks

Matt

it is not about the processor, it is about the memory controller

and amd processor that is a venice or newer can support 4 sticks or ram, everything else will not.

dfi's new nf4 expert board somehow supports 4 sticks or ram in 1T.

there should be no compatibility issues as long as u have a venice or newer core and are running in 2T.

Thanks for the fast and knowledgable reply. Sol, excuse my newbieness, but two things:

1- How would I determine if mine is a venice or newer? (it's an amd x2-4400)

2- You mention the DFI board, but does that mean that my a8n-sli will not?

The memory that I put in so far is Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PRO. The lights are kinda gay (for me anyway) but I got a good deal on the first 2gb.

So would this be a setting on the mb I assume?

Edited by MajikUF

I have that mobo, 4GB of that exact same memory (two pairs TWINX2048-3200C2PRO), and the same processor core (Toledo, albeit 4800+). No issues with 32-bit.

The settings are in your BIOS. Assuming you're using v1011 (just released a day or so ago), these are the settings I use. I don't overclock.

• Advanced Tab
    • CPU
      • DRAM
        • Timing Mode: Manual
        • Memclock (MHz): 400MHz
        • CAS# (Tcl): 2.5
        • Min RAS# (Tras): 6T
        • RAS to CAS (Trcd): 3T
        • Row precharge (Trp): 3T
        • 1T/2T Memory Timing: 2T

These same exact settings have worked flawless for me since September with BIOS v1008.

Edited by 5eraph

Fantastic. I have no plans to overclock anything, but figure that I may to try and get the 4800 speed out of it sometime, but probably won't.

So, you aren't running 64-bit? I am testing Vista 64bit CTP and the XP64. The XP screams and the Vista is still a little slow. Was thinking that 4gb might help speed it up.

I'm not using x64 because, at this point, it's easier for me to customize 32-bit XP to suit my needs. I will be upgrading to Vista 64-bit as soon as it's final and I am able.

I have a bootable USB key, so I just threw 1011 on it and it installed fine. Looking for the nvidia stuff on the asus site now.

My new 2001FP just showed up, so now I have dual LCDs to plug into the 7800GT, so I want to make sure everything is ready to go!!