CPU TROUBLE! please help asap!

ok, so I just got a cpu, (intel celeron 1.2 ghz socket 370). and i put it in alright, and the jumpers are configured. so, i turn on my computer and it powers on. but does not boot up. i press the power button and it stays at a black screen, i dont even get the bios. my motherboard is a chaintech 6AIV. could someone tell me what to do!!! please. thank you!

Dumb questions but...

-Did you happen to leave the CMOS jumper in 'clear' position?

-Did you ensure all of the power cables are in? Such as the 12v 4-port power connector if you have the such?

-Did you happen to plug any of the cables in backwards such as the IDE cables for example?

-Did you somehow switch the voltage setting on your PSU from 110 to 220 by accident?

-Did you ensure your memory sticks didn't get unseated during the CPU swap?

Best you can do to work from the bottom up is to unplug everything from your mainboard. Leave the CPU/Fan set in and only 1 of your memory sticks. Also leave your PSU connected along with your vid card and pc speaker hooked up. Take a metal object such as a pin or the tip of a screwdriver and touch the two power connectors to turn on the board (the two pins your power switch connects to). If it works, slowly reattach everything (with the power off of course) and test as you go to narrow down the problem.

If it doesn't work from the start, you just may have a bad CPU or something else is set incorrect. Where did you happen to get your CPU from?

Dumb questions but...

-Did you happen to leave the CMOS jumper in 'clear' position?

-Did you ensure all of the power cables are in? Such as the 12v 4-port power connector if you have the such?

-Did you happen to plug any of the cables in backwards such as the IDE cables for example?

-Did you somehow switch the voltage setting on your PSU from 110 to 220 by accident?

-Did you ensure your memory sticks didn't get unseated during the CPU swap?

Best you can do to work from the bottom up is to unplug everything from your mainboard. Leave the CPU/Fan set in and only 1 of your memory sticks. Also leave your PSU connected along with your vid card and pc speaker hooked up. Take a metal object such as a pin or the tip of a screwdriver and touch the two power connectors to turn on the board (the two pins your power switch connects to). If it works, slowly reattach everything (with the power off of course) and test as you go to narrow down the problem.

If it doesn't work from the start, you just may have a bad CPU or something else is set incorrect. Where did you happen to get your CPU from?

i got my cpu from ebay, in working condition. so im sure its not the cpu. unplugging everything wont work either. cause my computer works with a pentium 3 cpu.

i got my cpu from ebay, in working condition. so im sure its not the cpu. unplugging everything wont work either. cause my computer works with a pentium 3 cpu.

I don't know... hopefully you didn't get a relabeled/rebranded CPU (looks the same as what it's labeled as).

I'm curious, what make is your MainBoard? Have you verified that your mainboard supports the processor you're installing into it? If so, have you tried updating the BIOS first? Perhaps the BIOS you have on the board currently is unable to properly support the new CPU through the AUTO settings.

I don't know... hopefully you didn't get a relabeled/rebranded CPU (looks the same as what it's labeled as).

I'm curious, what make is your MainBoard? Have you verified that your mainboard supports the processor you're installing into it? If so, have you tried updating the BIOS first? Perhaps the BIOS you have on the board currently is unable to properly support the new CPU through the AUTO settings.

I have a chaintech 6AIV mobo. I tried updating the BIOS but when I download it and click run, nothing happens. call me a noob but, i dont know if I know how to update the BIOS. please help.

The 1.2GHz Celeron is a Tualatin core based CPU. The problem is that your motherboard doesn't/can't support Tualatin based PIII's or Celerons. Intel changed the power requirements and a few other things between the Coppermine and Tualatin based PIII's/Celerons. Looking at Chaintech's site this is almost certainly the case. The 6AIV2T version of the board added support for the Tualatin based Socket 370 CPUs.

However, all is not lost. :)

There's a company called PowerLeap. They make adapters that will let you use newer CPUs on older motherboards. The adapter you need is the PL-Neo/T. Don't pay attention to the price on that page...that's the price for the adapter with a 1.4GHz Celeron.

Try removing the cpu and powering up. You should get a POST beep. If it doesn't beep it's probably a board issue. If you get beep, reinstall CPU and if the same thing happens I'd guess it's either your multiplier, mhz settings, or CPU is bad on not compatible with your board.

Find out what the exact jumper settings are for that CPU and set manually on board.