Editing User.exe

awergh

I've used Icon Forge to edir the icon on the Start button. It's not that good though, because you can't copy and paste a new icon into the icon you are currently working on. You have to have a bit of an artistic skill for Icon Forge.

For editing the text on the Start button, I've used Resource Hacker. It's pretty easy. You can also change the start menu bitmap by replacing it with pretty much anything you want...it doesn't have to be the same size or color depth. At one point, I even put my own picture in there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried to replace the icon of "Shut Down ..." in Start Menu of Win98SE, by using Resource Hacker and replacing Icon Group 28 with something else in SHELL32.DLL. But it does not work, the old icon stays, even after deleting ShellIconCache. What have I done wrong??

I tried to replace the icon of "Shut Down ..." in Start Menu of Win98SE, by using Resource Hacker and replacing Icon Group 28 with something else in SHELL32.DLL. But it does not work, the old icon stays, even after deleting ShellIconCache. What have I done wrong??

You don't need to reshack to change the start menu icons. Editing the registry is enough. Shutdown is 27 not 28 BTW. 28 is shared overlay.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons

"27"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\shell32.dll,27"

Desktop Architect (freeware) for example allows you to change those icons without editing the registry by hand.

http://www.brothersoft.com/Desktop_Archite...load_12104.html

Thanks a lot eidenk for the hint to the nice tool "Desktop Architect".

I need to clarify the icon numbering system though. You are right that shut down icon is 27 in the registry, cause it starts with 0. Whereas I am also not wrong, in Resource Hacker the Icon Group starts with 1, so the shutdown is Icon Group 28, Shared Overlay is Ico Group 29.

The reason for using Resource Hacker is that I want to change the shut down icon with those from XP. I am still puzzled, when I start the Desktop Architect, it already shows that XP shut down icon is indeed in the SHELL32.DLL, but the Start Menu shut down icon was still the Win98 one. Then I switch it to something else, switch back to shut down icon in DA, click "Apply", then suddenly the Start Menu shut down icon changed to the XP style. Even after I uninstalled DA, delete all the contents of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons", reboot, the Start Menu shut down icon stays the XP style!! Weird... I don't know why. It must have been cached somewhere...

Iv'e been using eXescope now on 16 bit exe's & dll's for 2 years, it

works pretty well on 98se, it never has locked up on me like

reshack does , although this new install of 98se i'm currently on seems

to work ok now with reshack, but it has a lot less installed on it.