Unlock WinXP

Hi all :hello:

I've just came across this and thought i'd share it with you all, could come in handy. :D

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

WinXP's setupp.ini controls how the CD acts. IE is it an OEM version or retail? First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your WinXP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05

Pid=55034000

The Pid value is what we're interested in. What's there now looks like a standard default. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, oem, or volume license edition. First, we break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a retail cd that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an oem cd that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept. You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a WinXP cd that acted like a retail cd, yet accepted OEM keys.

Now, for the actual values. Remember the first and last values are interchangable, but usually you'd keep them as a pair:

Retail = 51882 335

Volume License = 51883 270

OEM = 82503 OEM

So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM

Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License will not bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so.

Very Intresting............

So say I had a computer that comes with OEM and a COA Sticker, I take out the Hard drive install another Drive and install Corp XP.

Will I be able to use the drive I took out in another "Made Computer" and change the CD to Retail and use the COA key.

Or is it the case of COA OEM is for the motherboard?

I know certain places sell OEM XP with hard drives.

Just wondering.

Very Interesting!

... I was wondering... it seems from this post that you can make an OEM copy accept Retail keys? right?

Is there a way that this can be edited to accept any version key (OEM, Retail & Upgrade)? If there was, this would be very helpfull, because I would only have to create 2 CD's (Home & Pro) instead of 6 for all of my UA CD's.

... if not, is there a way to have some sort of boot menu or something that you could choose different 'Setupp.ini' files to accoplish the same goal as above?

Thanks in advance,

~Dave

Very Interesting!

... I was wondering... it seems from this post that you can make an OEM copy accept Retail keys? right?

Is there a way that this can be edited to accept any version key (OEM, Retail & Upgrade)? If there was, this would be very helpfull, because I would only have to create 2 CD's (Home & Pro) instead of 6 for all of my UA CD's.

... if not, is there a way to have some sort of boot menu or something that you could choose different 'Setupp.ini' files to accoplish the same goal as above?

Thanks in advance,

~Dave

Yes. If your version was an OEM then you can edit it to become an Retail Version.

As it says.

Retail to OEM Pin=51882OEM - OEM to Retail Pin=51882OEM

no, I'm looking to make 1 disk accept ANY legit key (OEM & Retail & Upgrade), without having to modify the file everytime!

side note: ... you posted the same id's twice "Retail to OEM Pin=51882OEM - OEM to Retail Pin=51882OEM"

you forgot to change "Pin=51882OEM"

... anyways

any other thoughts?

I'll give you some hints:

1) find here different files between Home and PRO:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=104

2) read here how you can use programs such as CdImage and Mkisofs:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=12595

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=49821

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...3209?entry93209

to make an .iso image compacted with the same files only written ONCE on the media

3) how to create a multi-boot CD/DVD with the options:

http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com/

You should have a good start now..... ;)

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

I was trying to save as much space on my DVD that was why i tried to change the pid of my MCE to make it accept my VLK cd-key. But all it does is to say its a Volume licenced copy of windows but it won't accept my vlk key. But it works perfect to install with my MCE-key but then i wont bypass the activation. Is there any other files i need to copy from my original VLK-disk to make this work?

//Jake

You need a volume key to install MCE in volume installation mode. There are currently no keys that actually do that to the complete extent. If you use a XP Pro volume key, you get XP Pro Volume. If you use an XP Pro Preactivation key, you get MCE with a 60 day activation grace period.