[Help] 70-100% cpu usage after resuming from hibernation

r3al1ty

After resuming from hibernation my cpu usage is 70-100%, when i open the task manager it shows that all processes use 0%, but in performance tab it's clearly seen that cpu is under heavy load, I tested with Everest and my pc is slow like hell. After I've done a restart then it's all OK. I ask for help cause I really need/want to use hibernation. Please, I need help!!! :hello:

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Please follow XP Forum Rules from now on.

--Sonic

This only happens to me if I went into hibernation with a memory heavy application open.

However the PC ticks along like normal if you leave I leave it crunching for 30 seconds or so.

How much physical RAM and virtual memory do you have - as that may effect it.

Also can you tell me what your specs are and what kind of a processor etc? I am running a 3.4 ghz Intel (I know I know) and it never has anything like that happen to it. But usally I close all apps before I put it to hibernate because lets face it hibernation is not really one of the strongest suits of Windows...unlike OS X which has always amazed me. My friend with his 17 inch Powerbook would just be taking notes in class and as soon as class was over boom he would close the lid and open it back up in the next class and he would tell me his comp was in hibernate....its near instantaneous and he never reboots his comp!

256MB Ram

That's really not a lot of RAM, and the memory manager is likely fighting with the kernel when you are resuming from hibernation for available physical RAM. What would happen if you added another 256MB of RAM? 256MB is the maximum size of just one kernel memory pool (out of about 5 major kernel memory pools)!

Edited by cluberti

I've managed to end this problem by disabling pagefile - so it looks like the problem wasn't about too little RAM after all ;) This solution works for a while - I have 4 firefox windows open, winamp running and got over 100 MB RAM left. That's pretty good that it finally works but I need pagefile for Photoshop. So what do you think??

I've managed to end this problem by disabling pagefile - so it looks like the problem wasn't about too little RAM after all

Well, actually, it may have been. Without a page file, windows can't page idle process virtual address space out to disk - while this is good when you come back from hibernation (the memory manager doesn't have to worry about figuring out what goes in the page file and what is in RAM), there are programs that do need it. Again, ultimately you can alleviate this by making your memory manager's life easier by adding more RAM :).

Besides, you now have a 64bit processor that can natively address terabytes of RAM, and you gave it 256MB - I'm not saying 256MB shouldn't be enough, but that's still not a lot of RAM for a machine in 2006. I'm guessing you don't plan on upgrading to Vista ;).