Folder security settings in 2000 Server

Hi all,

I have a shared folder containing multiple sub folders. I've set the folder permissions to deny the deletion of the subfolders which is working, however, users are actually able to move these sub folders into each other (usually by accident via click-n-drag)... And since they do not have write permission to the main folder, they are not able to move the folder back to where it was!

Any one know of a way around this?

Cheers,

Doak.

Edited by doakwolf

Hi FAT64,

Here are the screen shots:

Main folder permissions:

post-89402-1141858207_thumb.jpg

Main folder advanced permissions (deny students write):

post-89402-1141858224_thumb.jpg

Sub folder (within main folder) permissions:

post-89402-1141858232_thumb.jpg

Sub folder advanced permissions (allow students write to subfolders):

post-89402-1141858582_thumb.jpg

Yet as I said, students are able to move subfolders into each other within the main folder :huh:

Obviously those permissions are allowing students to write to the subfolders but I thought that the 'deny' write permissions set on the main folder would take preference over any other permissions set.

I hope those screens show enough info.

P.S. I might just add exactly what I'm hoping to achieve:

Main folder - oat.students can read but not add any files or create new folders (only use existing folders)

Subfolders - oat.students can read and add files within the subfolders but not delete files or folders.

Cheers,

Doak.

Edited by doakwolf

Ah I see your problem. I'm fairly sure there's no way to restrict the moving of folders and still retain the right to create new folders. I'm fairly sure that when you move a folder Windows is actually creating a new folder, copying the contents, and deleting the original folder and contents when the create/copy process finishes.