HFAAO - Application Addon packs

Tomcat76

Application Addons are specially crafted packages in CAB format. HFSLIP (version 60301 and higher) supports these types:

- SVCPACK.INF installations

- SYSOC.INF installations

- those which replace non-protected Windows files

The CABs need to be placed in a folder called HFAAO inside the HFSLIP folder.

The third type shouldn't matter to you that much as HFSLIP already provides the means to replace existing Windows files through the APPREPLACEMENT folder. The choice is yours.

Important notice: since HFSLIP version 60528, you need EXTRACT.EXE if you want to slipstream application addons. Windows XP users can find it on their installation CD in SUPPORT\TOOLS\SUPPORT.CAB. Users of Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 can download it free of charge from Microsoft's web site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310618/. After you extract the Cabsdk.exe package to a temporary folder you can find the relevant file in the BIN subfolder. EXTRACT.EXE should be placed in HFTOOLS.

For pre-made CABs and info on how to create these yourself:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=132

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Edited by Tomcat76

I've run this version several times this evening while troubleshooting some codec issues.

60301 runs great and installs all 14 of my addons. There is an issue or two, but I think they are attributable to the addon pack authors.

I really like the new addon pack feature. I am building a list of things to create that take advantage of all this new functionality.

Edited by TAiN

I am almost positive that it was the author's fault since most of the packs ran fine. But here were my problems so far:

-Irfanview - setup needed i_view.exe but it wasn't to be found

-Opera - installed junk links to c:\ and the quicklaunch was in the wrong folder (c:\microsoft\...)

-7Zip (the one with an extra pack for associations) - couldn't find 7zG or something like that...use the other 7Zip that doesn't have an extra pack. It works fine.

-Winamp - it asks questions and plays an audio file during setup...unsat for my purposes

I may have found a problem with the current HFSLIP...I keep getting DX7.0 even though I have the latest dxnt and bdant in my HFCABS. Not sure what the problem is. I've re-downloaded and unpacked but got the same problem. This issue is slowing down my codec project :/

Those CABs all contain pre-built executables to be installed during SVCPACK. All HFSLIP (and nLite) can do is install them with the provided command. The problems are related to the inner packages themselves.

I may have found a problem with the current HFSLIP...I keep getting DX7.0 even though I have the latest dxnt and bdant in my HFCABS. Not sure what the problem is. I've re-downloaded and unpacked but got the same problem. This issue is slowing down my codec project :/
That's strange. I did three test-installs with Win2K prior to releasing 60301 and DX9 installed just fine. At least, dxdiag.exe told me I got 9.0c and the nVidia nForce drivers didn't complain (which they would if DX7 were installed). Does DX9 get installed if you don't include codecs? Edited by Tomcat76

Moving my /HFEXPERT/CODECS/ elsewhere (running HFSLIP w/o CODECS) brought back DX9.0c. That was the only change that I made.

WTF? Could it be the Windows Media codecs? Here are the contents of the codec pack in question:

* DivX Pro 5.2.1 [Decoder]

* XviD 1.1.0 Final [Encoder/Decoder]

* Windows Media 9 VCM [version 9.0.1.369] [Encoder]

* Windows Media 10 [version 10.0.0.3802]

* Cyberlink DVD decoder [version 6.0.0.1402]

* Elecard MPEG 2 Demultiplexer [version 2.0.84.30429]

* Ligos Indeo XP [version 5.2820.15.58]

* Intel Indeo [version 4.51.16.2]

* Intel Indeo [version 3.24.15.03]

* Intel I.263 [version 2.55.1.16]

* MS MPEG-4 [version 4.1.0.3927] [Encoder]

* MP3 Decoder (l3codec) [version 1.9.0.311]

* On2 VP7 7.0.9.0 [Encoder/Decoder]

* Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 DirectShow decoder [version 1.9.0.311]

* Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec for MSACM [version 3.3.0.44]

* WMA DirectShow decoder [version 8.0.0.4487]

* VobSub [1.0.1.2] + CPL

* AC3 Filter 1.02 test8 + CPL

* Ogg Vorbis [version 1.1.0]

* Quicktime [7.0.2.120]

* Real [10.0.0.961]

I am reporting my DX status with dxdiag.

Edited by TAiN

• 2 weeks later...
Application Addons are specially crafted packages in CAB format. HFSLIP (version 60301 and higher) supports these types:

- SVCPACK.INF installations

- SYSOC.INF installations

- those which replace non-protected Windows file

One of the links you provided has SVCPACK instructions but I can't find instructions anywhere for creating SYSOC addon packs. Can you post a link? While you're at it, can you post direct links to tutorials for creating addon packs that are HFSLIP-supported? There are quite a few tutorials out there (svcpack, 7z, rar, switchless, etc) and it is confusing trying to find the best one.

Thanks!

The other linked page has a sticky near the top which is a tutorial. Here's a direct link:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1290

Just one thing... Many people seem to advocate the use of "100" in txtsetup.sif. Its necessity is a hoax.

100 stands for "files on a Windows XP or Windows 2003 CD that was patched with a service pack"

2 stands for "files on a Windows 2000 CD that was patched with a service pack" or "files that are on the 2nd Windows XP CD"

1 stands for "files on any Windows CD, patched or unpatched with a service pack"

So to make an addon pack intercompatible, use "1".

HFSLIP automatically changes "100" to "1", but I just wanted to mention this.

The other linked page has a sticky near the top which is a tutorial. Here's a direct link:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1290

That link takes me to a page with at least two full tutorials. One of them seems aimed at themes. There are also lots of tutorial-like links on that page. And none of those seem to be 'the svcpack method' or 'the sysoc method'. The only tutorial I've seen that seems to fit one of those descriptions is this one that you indirectly pointed out to us in the first posting.

Thanks for trying to help me along this path, but I need a bit more guidance. I have several ideas for HFSLIP-specifc addons once I get this ironed out :)

It's not that complicated, actually, for HFSLIP.

SVCPACK types:

,SetupHotfixesToRun,
filename.exe /q

These are only useful to create if a switch is needed to install the file. If no switch is needed, it's easier to just plunk the installation file in the HFSVCPACK folder.

SYSOC types for which the destination directories are supported by Windows setup:

PackageName=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,install.inf,HIDE,7
install.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
program.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

The supported folders are WINNT/WINDOWS and their subfolders. In the example here, "20" stands for INF and "2" for SYSTEM32. You can check TXTSETUP.SIF for the supported directories and their corresponding numbers.

SYSOC types for which not all destination directories are supported by Windows setup:

PackageName=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,install.inf,HIDE,7
install.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
program.exe = 1,,,,,,_x,,3,3

It is assumed that the installation INF contains the necessary information to copy over the files.

If you just want to copy files (into folders supported by TXTSETUP.SIF):

filename.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
program2.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

These are useless to make because you can use the HFEXPERT folder for this.

If a WINNT/WINDOWS subfolder is not supported by TXTSETUP.SIF or it needs to be created, you can do it like this:

[txtsetup_dirs]
250 = VIDEOS
251 = SYSTEM32\CRASH

All the above information applies to the file "ENTRIES_whatever.INI" which you include in the CAB package.

Remaining things to know:

- how to compose an INF that's to be installed from SYSOC.INF

- how to create the CAB file

- (for experts) how to create a CAB file inside the CAB file which contains all or most files (eg: the WMP10 addon pack)

Edited by Tomcat76

• 2 months later...

So simply, for a first timer, non nLiter trying out a addon from the RyanVM link:

1 extract.exe in HFTOOLS

2 PROGRAM.cab in HFAAO

3 ENTRIES_PROGRAM.INI in HFAAO

4 PROGRAM.in_ in HFSVCPACK

That got it?