http:// question

Ok guys/girls. I am attempting to set up wireless broadband, i have my router all up and running but I have to set up my broadband connection. To do this the installation instructs me to go a web address http://10.0.0.2 and enter my details.

However I can't connect, when I try to the internet goes to the usual page cannot be displayed whatsit. Now I can't get to any such pages so I can only assume there is some funky setting that has to be switched on to allow me to go to non www sites.

Can anyone offer some advice?

What is the make and model of your router?

I'm assuming you have a dynamic IP setup. Your IP Address should be something to the effect of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 for a home network.

Go into the command prompt and type "ipconfig" (w/o the quotes). Your Default Gateway is the IP Address of your router, which you can then type that in. Also, not that it's wrong, but you don't need to type http:// when entering IP's.

it is a cable and wireless router, the problem isn't with the network, it's all working, they see each other fine.

to make the broadband work i have to visit the website mentioned and enter the details for my broadband provider. however I can't make it to the website, when I'm using the router or when I am using my old modem.

this i don't understand I can only assume that something is preventing me from getting to the said site?

oh and when i did the ipconfig thing my ip address at the top was 192.168.0.1

it is a cable and wireless router, the problem isn't with the network, it's all working, they see each other fine.

to make the broadband work i have to visit the website mentioned and enter the details for my broadband provider. however I can't make it to the website, when I'm using the router or when I am using my old modem.

this i don't understand I can only assume that something is preventing me from getting to the said site?

oh and when i did the ipconfig thing my ip address at the top was 192.168.0.1

andy type 192.168.0.1 into your browser and it will access the router, in there you set details up that is provided by isp, also on accessing router it most likely ask 4 a password

10.0.0.2 is a PRIVATE IP address (as is 192.168.1.1), it is NOT an Internet address. If the setup instructs you to visit this address, you MUST be connected to the network that the router is on.

Chances are that 10.0.0.2 is the default address of the default router, and you can only connect to this address if you physically connected to the router, wether it be via wireless or wired connection. my suggestion is that if you cannot connect wireless until you have set it, connect to the router directly using a network cable.

your "ipconfig" (from command line) should look something like this, assuming the router is powered on and DHPC is enable to give your computer an address:

IP address 10.x.x.x

Subnet mask 255.x.x.x

Default gateway 10.0.0.2

if this is so, you should be able to connect to HTTP://10.0.0.2 and configure your device.

In other words--this address is hosted by the router itself, it is not a website; if you don't connect to the router, you will not be able to get to it.

right then, this is still driving me nuts people.

I did what you suggested, I linked my computer directly to the router with a network cable. the little lights all registered saying it was connected. When I do an IPCONFIG it says the following

ipaddress 192.168.0.2

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

default gateway nothing

From my browser I tried both 10.0.0.2 and 192.168.0.2 both said server could not be found.

I don't know what dhcp enabled means so I couldn't check it.

help!!!!

Ok further to the last, I went in and edited the network settings on the network bridge and in tcp/ip i selected obtain ip address automatically.

After doing this I did ipconfig again and the result was the following

ipaddress 10.0.0.7

subnet mask 255.0.0.0

default gateway 10.0.0.2

however i still can't make it work but this seems closer.

help!!

router is cable and wireless, 11g adsl router.

and yes i tried 192.168.0.2 still said server not found

ah ha ha ha ha.

I have it working, nearly..........

With a network cable I got it working, broadband the lot............

Now then the problem is now that when I try and go wireless, it still doesn't work. It says the connection is up and running but it loses it's connection to the net and I can no longer access the router with 10.0.0.2.

Thoughts, I'm using a 802.11g wireless usb adapter

Hi Andy,

Wireless:

If you are using a USB Wireless Adapter, try to share the local area network.

In properties of Local Area Connection, go to advanced tab and have a look, if you need more explenation just tell us.

About the first problem:

10.0.0.2 is like a website, but it's where you can configure your router. It's where you have to put your ISP (Internet Service Provider) data, like your user account and password to gain access to the internet. Once you do that, anybody how connect to your router can access to the ineternet.

Have a look to the properties of your network adapter. Check if you are using DHCP. If yes, go the CMD and lunch the following: ipconfig /all; check the Gateway. If, for ex, the IP of the gateway is 192.168.1.1, open Internet Explorer and in the address bar right 192.168.1.1 and enter, it should enter in the "webpage". It may ask you a password, plz check your manual to get those data or try admin:admin. Then there insert your user account and password, save it and try if you have internet.

Darpa.