Questions concerning multiple Enterprise deployment techniques

Long time lurker, First Time to register and post.

Before I proceed, I just want to say thanks to all of those geniuses that have created tools, guides, or just helping everyone in this subsection of MSFN. You all know who you are.

I don't have a question of how, but what is better?

I understand the process of creating PE's, RIS setups with extra text setup drivers and gui setup drivers, and unnattended CD's. I have successfully done unnattedned CD's and a very simple RIS setup.

When I first started studying this was years ago, and I found the solution that I like, which was an answer file on a floppy and a vanilla Win2000 CD. I then moved to BartPE just because it was cool and I used Ghost to image a drive from a USB drive. This was more modular and quicker.

For the past week I have been working towards a solution that would allow me to have a bunch of BartPE CD's that would give me access to a share on a server where I could just image the drive from a prepared ghost image. But I have now learned the limitations in the Ghost 2003 version without a GhostCast server.

I see from these posts that it is better to get the machine to see the RIS server and load the machines in this way.

I need to reload about 100 to 500 machines. I need a away that is quick and efficient.

My Quesitons:

What is the best way? (RIS or the BartPE method with a ghost image)

Does a free version of a ghost-like imager exist that can be used with mapped drives?

I have been looking at all the Driver packs from BTS and Universal Boot CD. Do all these extra drivers affect the performance of the RIS server and the installation time of the client?

About how many installs can be done from a RIS server at once? (I know this has to do with the server hardware, but maybe a general idea owould be cool)

Can RIS push Images and not just installs?

I ask these question becuase I co-own a business that does some constulting for education. We are getting into also doing client installs along with what we already do which is server installations and configuration. We don't do much client installations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RIS can do all that you have asked above

What is the best way? (RIS or the BartPE method with a ghost image) - have looked at BartPE, but believe RIS will do more PC's at once quicker and cleaner

Can RIS push Images and not just installs? - Yes, create your PC as wanted fror each dept and then run sysprep - this includes apps etc

Does a free version of a ghost-like imager exist that can be used with mapped drives? - not sure, imaging is ok, but depends upon how you wish to do, either a hdd copy image or lan copy, then use RIS

About how many installs can be done from a RIS server at once? (I know this has to do with the server hardware, but maybe a general idea owould be cool) - you can do as many as your LAN setup and power of server can handle, i believe you should be able to do 20+ with no issues simultaneously

Thanks for the response. I am moving more to the RIS method the more that I look into all of this stuff. It is good to know that RIS can also 'push' complete images out to the client.

I am little confused about one thing that you posted:

Does a free version of a ghost-like imager exist that can be used with mapped drives? - not sure, imaging is ok, but depends upon how you wish to do, either a hdd copy image or lan copy, then use RIS

You say to do a hdd copy or lan copy then use RIS. Doesn't RIS do this for you?

Looks like you need to have a look at Microsoft Bussiness Desktop Deployment Solutions Accelerator

that covers everything you mentioned except that it uses WinPE and not bartsPE (But could use BartsPE)

If you are a big company then licensing will not be a problem as Bartspe can not be installled onto a machine with XP allready installed unless you have the proper license.

Zero Touch Installation (ZTI)

supporting New Computer, Refresh Computer, and Replace Computer scenarios (using SMS 2003 with SP1)

• Lite Touch network-based deployment

• Isolated users (CD-ROM/DVD–based installs)

• Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) of software and services (using BizTalk Server 2004)

• Note that ZTP is not required for ZTI, but ZTI is required for ZTP

BDD SA

This when set up properly is awsome easy to maintian and use.

hope that helps.

It's all about Total cost of ownership nowadays

The download includes sample scripts and models.

I got that a few weeks ago. It really is good information, but I am not able to get WinPE. Most schools we deal with aren't on Software Assurance.

Not being able to use WinPE is the reason why I am trying a new route.

I am going to sift through BDE again.

thanks,

It is possiable to rip winpe out of vista.... not sure if this would be legal?

I am sure once vist gets closer Winpe will be made more accesiable for everyone.

why not use barts pe with BDD scripts?

I am looking into using BartPE with BDE scripts. I doubt it would be legal to use a release candidate client in a production or corporate enviroment.

I envision my solution as I walk into a classroom or office and either pop in a floppy or CD that would initiate the whole process.

I would come back in a few hours and join the machine to the domain and then let GPO's do the software.

Is this a possible vision?

How about Virtual Floppies and PXE Boot.

if you know the MAC address call the PC with Wake On Lan (If you have it) then assign the MAC to an image or run Barts.

then you can use a Net dom script to add your pc to the domain and assign name if you know it before that is.

saving you some trend on your shoes.

I take it you have a very tight budget?

The old powerquest 5.5 was great for this solution then symantec took over :-(

Edited by p4ntb0y

Yes, we are on a tight budget.

I am all over the PXE boot, but I am unsure of what Virtual Floppies are. What are they?

The only experience with Wake On Lan is with a program called Vision6 by Genevalogic. It allows you to 'wake' up the computer with a really neat gui. The software is designed for Lab Adminstrators to control and watch computers in their respective lab. They have added this to the new release of Vision the ability to turn on the computer. I am pretty sure that Synchronize is their direct competitor.

What other apps can I use to initiate a Wake on Lan type event?

I am also struggling with one bit of information. Lets say that one of the client machines on the network has a newer NIC card and has no PXE capabilities. This same card is not supported in the RIS created floppy for NIC that aren't PXE enabled. I see that there is no way in adding more drivers to this card. Is it possible to create a custom PXE boot floppy to incorporate NIC that 'fall througth the cracks' ?

Thanks for all the help figuring out the variables of my equation

Hats off to MSFN and its members!