My List of Vista Niggles - All help appreciated

Seer

First up I KNOW it's beta and this isnt a whine, just wondering if anyone has come across the same problems and whether they have solutions. I understand stuff may be just plain broken :)

The Main Box

ASUS Fatality Nforce4 Mobo

AMD 64 3500+

2GB Crucial RAM

7800GTX

2 x 35gb Raptors (10k rpm & no RAID)

1. Networking a file transfers

Seems appalling inconsistent and just plain broken.

My test box was able to browse the workgroup (after refreshing many times and waiting forever for the other machines to show up) but it seems impossible to move a file onto a share on the MCE box I have. Example I was trying to move the Vista Nvidia drivers I downloaded (approx 4mb?) and it would just sit there for eternity 'calculating time'

2. Windows Update

Never works - always returns an error

3. Browsing

Very very slow

4. Audigy 2 ZS Drivers

Any appeared yet?

5. Lots of hung apps, some just stop Picture Viewer particulary and the app can't be killed without a reboot

6. Eve Online - cant even load up the login screen - just a black box

DIFFERENT MACHINE:

3300 Sempron

1GB RAM

6600GT

3 x 250GB IDE Harddrives

Gigabyte VIA mobo s939

7. Can't install at all on a box with 6600GT vid card. Does the 'loading windows files' bit followed by a black screen with a cursor after a brief flash of the loading animation, then just sits there.

I tried the same machine with the 7800GTX from the main machine above and it was fine, likewise with a radeon 9600 in it.

Microsoft doesn't read this so what's the point of this thread?

Ummm to get help from fellow knowledgable users ?

I thought this...

just wondering if anyone has come across the same problems and whether they have solutions. I understand stuff may be just plain broken

... made that pretty clear ;)

Whats with the 'tude? :unsure:

Edited by Seer

now quick info, is this in a VM? or just on a partition on your machine?

1. Networking is normally pretty consistent, depends on what NIC you have and the drivers that were written for it. moving from to or from the MCE, i have been able to move files from vista to XP and back without issue, the network speed has been fast but finding computers near just takes for ever.

2. Works fine, never gotten any errors. Has worked fine in the last 3 builds that i have tested.

3. Browsing the web is uber fast, or webpages open with suprising speed, both from my work and from my cable connection at home.

4. no hint on audio drivers, remeber the whole audio stack was rewritten, i am sure creative has had a hard time rewritting drivers to suit the no longer kernal memory audio stack, expect to see them sometime soon since vista is feature complete now.

5. haven't had to many hung apps, actually to think about it apps have been running smoothly, there have been alot of incompatiable apps though.

6. not sure on this one...