Using Symantec Ghost to create Dual Boot Image

sammycat

I have managed to get the dual boot of Windows Vista and Windows XP working on my laptop. I used Ghost to create the ghost image successfully. However, when I try to load that image on to the same machine the machine can't boot into either operation system anymore. Has anyone tried this? I am wondering if it is because Vista is not supported under Ghost yet. Thanks.

When you restore them are you putting them in the same order?

My ghost image is on the entire disk. I didn't do it on partitions. So when I restored the image I restored to the disk. I even tried to do it partition by partition but it failed.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Sammycat, just download the WAIK and create a WIM of the drive, that should work much better for you

That's the next thing I am going to do - Create a WIM image. Have you done it in your test environment yet? We are looking into different deployment method. I don't think WDS can deploy the WIM image through the server..

WDS can have 3 stages,

legacy - Basically just a RIS server, using RIS setup and RIS prep

Mixed - RIS and WIM images boo

Native - WIM images only using WinPE 2.0 to boot

i have a native WDS server setup, working pretty nicely atm, still a little buggy but i like it, creating a new WIM image for our standard image today and will test to see how it does, was getting errors trying to autocreate computer accounts, but prestaging the accounts works fine.

i'll post more as i work on it today

Edited by fizban2

can you be a little more specific on neither operaating system will boot. Error? Hangs with flashing cursor?

Have you tried any switches like /IB to capture the entire boot record?

WIM would probably be the best way to go.