[Help] - Installing XP on an old HP

bluize61

O.K. I know I'm probably stupid but I have an old HP Pavilion 6530 with 433 MHz processor, 256 RAM and a 30 gig Hard Drive. I have been trying to load Windows XP on this machine and keep getting different error messages time after time. I downloaded and installed the last BIOS for this model (2001) and returned the BIOS to default. I can get the Windows XP CD ROM to boot, format the hard drive and begin the installation. This is the first error message I receive:

"The following value in the .sif file used by setup is corrupt or missing: Source Disk Files: "SPI.CAB"

My question is.. am I deluding myself that I can EVER get this program on this PC??? Is there a fix? Does anyone have Recovery disks for this model? I'd rather not pitch it out. I feel like it still has some life in it. I fix older machines and give them to community college students who need a basic machine to do homework and get online.

If you have valuable information for me... please respond by email.

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Hello Bluize61,

As far as i know, on a slower machine like the one you have, you may be able to load windows XP with great difficulty. However, once you load it, it runs very slow, often freezing up and crashing even though the computer exceeds the minimal parameter requirements by microsoft. This has been my experience. The bottom line? You are better off loading the ' twin ' brother of XP.... Windows 2000 with SP4. The big advantage here is that you can load W2k on a slower machine and it will run jun fine and provide you the same features, security level ( well, that's debatable on any microsoft software! LOL ) minus all the fancy graphics and driver database XP would provide. I am not a computer expert, but I am telling you what I experienced since I have upgraded many older machines to give away just like you do. Good luck!

Yours sincerely,

Bear :)

I would agree. Windows 98SE might not even be a bad choice--it would run just fine on that machine, especially if you are just trying to build a junk machine to surf the web on and such; but Windows 2000 SP4 is much more compatible with most of today's software.

I disagree with both of you all. Simply because I have an old HP Pavilion with 256 mb memory and 40 gig hdd and p3 500...I am assuming he is using a P3 and it runs XP quite brilliantly with no nLite or tweaks or themes turned off. XP is quite flexible. You would be surprised. It plays games like Ghost Recon and so on with no problems at all!

I disagree. I often install (modified) XP Pro/Home on low spec machines.

The secret is to be realistic about what you expect them to achieve and choose you software carefully. Granted, a 433 will never run the latest games or apps under XP - but then, it was never going to anyway.

An example:

A Crapard Bell 466 system was recently brought back into service to be used as a "do-it-yourself" jukebox/media centre. The OS (XP Pro) was heavily N-Lited to remove just about everything that was not needed for the few apps required. It has 6x40 Gb drives (utilising a controller card from an old 486) for storage and 256Mb RAM. It lives in a kitchen cupboard with only the monitor/mouse on view - looking like a TV. I may in fact add a TV card at a later date.

It now happily boots XP in around 20 secs, runs with a custom (Vista style) theme and runs -

Musicmatch Jukebox - v5 as the later versions are resource hogs ( + around 2000 albums of MP3s)

Power DVD for Films/Music Vids etc

Mame32 arcade emulator (+ 300 ROMS)

Windows Games (Freecell, Solitaire etc)

3 or 4 Real Arcade games (Zuma, Chuzzle etc)

This PC will even run Musicmatch in the background whilst playing games in Mame.

I have often used this same approach to prepare machines as game servers or similar for friends.

I installed XP Pro on an old P-233 with 96 MB of EDO RAM about 3 years ago. I ran it as both an FTP server and did some actual work with it. It could be on the slow side and I turned all the bells and whistles off but the thing was rock solid. It ran for about 4 months between reboots which were usually caused by power outages or the installation of a slew of windows updates.

If I could pull off XP Pro on my old piece of junk I'm pretty sure a normal XP install with the fancy bells and whistles turned off [w/o nLiting] should run on that HP. Does the XP disc work fine in other systems? Is it an OEM disc?

rotjong

:blushing:

Thanks for the feedback all. I guess one of the problems I'm having my be related to BIOS??? The XP disc I have is not (obviously) an HP system receovery disk. How do I get around the stupid BIOS asking me to install a bona fide HP Recovery Disk or is the real problem that XP is incompatible with the hardware.

I can get the installation to start but it stalls every now and then with this or that file not being loaded because it's "corrupt or missing."

I'm a newbie to this whole jackin' with the innards or PCs.

post-89307-1141160855_thumb.jpg

The disk is an "aftermarket" full installation of Windows XP Pro for new systems that I :whistle: came across. I also have a disk with SP2. I have used it on another older model HP Pavilion (85XX) that accepted it just fine. I was surprized that it wouldn't load because the two PCs are so similar. I talked to one guy who said that some HPs were dedicated to their HP Recovery Disk and would accept nothing but.

I managed to download a new BIOS onto a floppy and got the new BIOS on this unit, but I still stall in about the same place, although before the BIOS change it wouldn't install any portion of XP.

Maybe I have the wrong BIOS? Was there a model of the HP PAVILION called Cognac? I downloaded the new bios from

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...21&cc=us&os=228

:unsure:

Well, I know my brain doesn't work like most people I know so I tend to approach things a bit differently. It's possible it's a BIOS issue but I've never used an HP, personally. There are a few things that come to mind that are hardware related. How's the battery on the mobo? Is it low/dying? Is the CD-ROM drive working alright? Is it possible to try using another CD-ROM drive? How are the cables? Any issues with the HD?

And, if all else failed, just to prove a point to myself I would actually try to install something like Win98 on it just to see if it worked. With the age of the system chances are you'll probably have issues with the modem. If HP was anything like Campaq [before the merger] their hardware compatibility sucked and they wouldn't help you much.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

rotjong

PS: If the SP2 disc is a full install try using that disc instead of the one you already tried and see when an error occurs then.

Edited by rotjong

I'm pretty sure the CD is o.k. because I can boot from the CD and everything is fine until I start the actual install. I have no idea how to check the battery on the MOBO. Not even sure where it is! I'll look for it to night but the date and time info stays accurate so I think that is not an issue. As with any older model HP the ribbon cables are tightly packed in there (not much room in a Pavilion). The seem intact.

I can try another CD. I don't have any other versions of Win OS to put on. I have MAC OS X but that aint gonna help! Since I can't get the OS on the modem is mute until I can get Windows up. I can replace that for $8 at Fry's Electronics.

I have tried the HP support live chat but they keep sending me to a webpage that says I need to get the Recovery Disk for this model... which I can't find.

:realmad:

Just breathe, Art!!!

:o:thumbup B)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well, I know my brain doesn't work like most people I know so I tend to approach things a bit differently. It's possible it's a BIOS issue but I've never used an HP, personally. There are a few things that come to mind that are hardware related. How's the battery on the mobo? Is it low/dying? Is the CD-ROM drive working alright? Is it possible to try using another CD-ROM drive? How are the cables? Any issues with the HD?

And, if all else failed, just to prove a point to myself I would actually try to install something like Win98 on it just to see if it worked. With the age of the system chances are you'll probably have issues with the modem. If HP was anything like Campaq [before the merger] their hardware compatibility sucked and they wouldn't help you much.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

rotjong

PS: If the SP2 disc is a full install try using that disc instead of the one you already tried and see when an error occurs then.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the chip is a Celeron. Not P3. :blushing:

I disagree with both of you all. Simply because I have an old HP Pavilion with 256 mb memory and 40 gig hdd and p3 500...I am assuming he is using a P3 and it runs XP quite brilliantly with no nLite or tweaks or themes turned off. XP is quite flexible. You would be surprised. It plays games like Ghost Recon and so on with no problems at all!

XP should run decently on your system, given that I've installed it on far slower machines (e.g. Pentium 166) without any problem (other than speed).

"The following value in the .sif file used by setup is corrupt or missing: Source Disk Files: "SPI.CAB"
1. Intermittent read error in CD-ROM drive

2. Error due to interference on ATAPI cable

3. Intermittent memory errors which show up when CAB files are being decompressed

4. Processor errors which show up when CAB files are being decompressed