Hotfix installation decision process

ddebacker

Good morning,

I am trying to find out a way NOT to install hotfixes when the service pack including them is already installed on the server/workstation.

Here is the deal: I want to be able to detect whether or not Hotfix A which is part of SPx should be installed or not.

I could hardcode the hotfixes for every service pack in a file and browse through them but I would like to be able to have a more clever way of doing this.

I am able to check the service pack level of the machine, whether or not the hotfix has ever been installed but if it has never been installed I would NOT like to overwrite service pack DLLs with the one included in the Hotfix itself.

Any idea?

I do hope I was clear enough :P

TIA

David.

One way to do it would be manually....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

That page will let you sort hotfixes by product and service pack level...showing which hotfixes apply only to various service pack levels. For example, if you select Windows XP Pro and Service Pack 2, it won't show you any hotfixes that are already included in Service Pack 2.

Another way would be the CMD version of MBSA (1.1 or 2.0). MBSA will show you which hotfixes are currently required but haven't been installed on the machine. With the CMD version you can dump the information to a text file, then parse that to see which hotfixes to install.