[Question] Is it possible to tweak the "specify size" option

Viper187

I keep being reminded of this annoyance more and more, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has found a way to change it. I think it's totally idiotic that Explorer only lets you specify the size ("at least"/"at most") of the file you're searching for in KB. Who the hell needs to search in KB these days for christ sakes!? It should be MB.

Who the hell needs to search in KB these days for christ sakes!?

Quite a lot of people actually. Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, text files, log files, INI files, etc, etc...are all more often than not less than 1MB.

It's not really that hard to multiply the size in MB by 1024 to get the KB value. For example, if I knew the file was at least 15MB I could put in 15360 for the minimum KB size. To answer your question though, I don't know of any tweak to make that change.

Who the hell needs to search in KB these days for christ sakes!?

Quite a lot of people actually. Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, text files, log files, INI files, etc, etc...are all more often than not less than 1MB.

Then search for "at most" 1MB. If you have so many files you need to narrow it down more than that, tough s***, your problem. MB would be the right unit of measurement for this if anyone could come up with a way to do it.

Then search for "at most" 1MB. If you have so many files you need to narrow it down more than that, tough s***, your problem. MB would be the right unit of measurement for this if anyone could come up with a way to do it.

I'm pretty sure the tirade you just launched could be turned right back around at yourself... I have several thousand files that are less than 100kb but are all quite important on their own. I don't want the granularity on my search to be "1mb or less" because I'd come back with far too many results. KB gives me the granularity I need for the files I deal with most often.

In fact, just as a test, it took me six seconds to start calc, type in a file size in MB, then * 1024 and copy-paste that value directly into search. Is that too time consuming? If so, then I call tough s*** on you because it's your problem for being lazy. Arguably in the future, the best implementation would be to have a dropdown box that would allow specification of the major base-2 sizes: 2^10 (KB), 2^20 (MB) , 2^30 (GB) et al.

Edited by Albuquerque

I just did a search for "at most 1024KB" and got over 20,000 files, compared to less than 1000 for "at least 1024KB". So your point that the majority of files are over 1Mb is proved to be false.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if the granularity was reduced to searching by bytes, but making it more granular is definitely an inconvenience.

Arguably in the future, the best implementation would be to have a dropdown box that would allow specification of the major base-2 sizes: 2^10 (KB), 2^20 (MB) , 2^30 (GB) et al.
Agreed. Perhaps you should make that suggestion to the Vista beta-testers so they can tell M$ about it. Edited by LLXX

Sooner (rather than later) the OP will have to search for an all important document that may be no more than 20kb to drive the point home for him. Unless he's a 13 year old with nothing more important to him on his HD than mp3 or wav music files. :P

MP3s are so passe. It's the 700MB DivX movies now...or the 4GB recoded DVD image...

You shall have only a few of these files in comparision with the magnimous number of the kb files.

A few my a**. I have about 25 gigs of music, 300+ gigs of small and large video files, etc. When I search for something it's bigger than a meg, unless it's source code or a doc of some kind... which I would typicly search for by name anyway!

MP3s are so passe. It's the 700MB DivX movies now...or the 4GB recoded DVD image...

You shall have only a few of these files in comparision with the magnimous number of the kb files.

It's called sarcasm... :whistle:
A few my a**. I have about 25 gigs of music, 300+ gigs of small and large video files, etc. When I search for something it's bigger than a meg, unless it's source code or a doc of some kind... which I would typicly search for by name anyway!
Having that much warrants a good directory structure so you don't have to search for them all the time. If you have to constantly search your system for those types of things you need to become better organized before worrying about whether or not the search function has KB vs MB.

I have three times as much music and I've never had to use Search to find the one I want to listen to.

Arguably in the future, the best implementation would be to have a dropdown box that would allow specification of the major base-2 sizes: 2^10 (KB), 2^20 (MB) , 2^30 (GB) et al.
Agreed. Perhaps you should make that suggestion to the Vista beta-testers so they can tell M$ about it.

Being a Vista beta-tester, rest assured that I have mentioned it several times. :thumbup

Having that much warrants a good directory structure so you don't have to search for them all the time. If you have to constantly search your system for those types of things you need to become better organized before worrying about whether or not the search function has KB vs MB.

Completely agreed. My folder structure isn't *that* crazy, it's simply by artist (or by compilation name if it's something like a soundtrack.) When my girlfriend's brother came up to ask me about that "Dance all night to this DJ" song he heard on the Coke commerical, it took me about ten seconds to go to My Music, Paul Oakenfold and then scroll through until I found Starry Eyed Surprise. Even though I knew the approximate size and almost the exact name of the file, it probably would've taken longer to allow Windows to search for it...

Edited by Albuquerque