My monitor shuts off for no apparent reason

TaiFong

Hi there. I have a problem.

It seems as though my monitor likes to randomly shut off. I could be doing anything from surfing the web to playing a game. I have a Compaq MV900 monitor. All of my drivers are installed properly, I have a GeForce 4 Ti4600, my desktop resolution is on 1024 x 768, and my refresh rate is on 85Hz. I have the suspicion that my video card is just too powerful for the monitor. Previously, I had a Ti4200 and I had the same problem.

Have any of you heard of a problem like this before? Is it the monitor or is it a software/hardware issue? If you need any more information to troubleshoot, go ahead and ask! Thanks!

I have another monitor that I did try. It worked fine. That's why I think the monitor has problems.

Oh, and something I forgot to mention. After the monitor shuts off, I have to wait a certain amount of time (a few minutes) before it will turn on again. If I try to turn it on before that time, the indicator light will come on, but the monitor won't show any graphics.

My other monitor is faulty, everytime I start a game it goes on standby, everytime I run a winamp plugin at full screen, it goes on standby! Seemed it didn't like DirectX because all the other monitors work fine. Going to get it RMA'ed when I can be bothered to do it lol.