Vista 5308 Install Issue

toy4x4

Ok, been playing with Vista 5308 on my laptop and in VMW and finally decided to go ahead and install it on my main system. I partitioned off a seperate partition to use for Vista, problem I have is when I boot from the Vista CD, I don't get the "Install Now" Window. All I get is the background and mouse cursor. This is the same CD I installed Vista on the laptop with and checked it in VMWare also.

Here is my config:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

3700+ AMD San Diego

Dual ASUS 7800GTX SLI

2x36gb WD Raptors on SI stripe

2x300gb Segate on SI Stripe

NEC 2500 CD/DVD

Anyone try it on something simular to the above?

BIOS wise it's pretty straight froward. No overclocking, NVRaid and Marvell both turned off.

:no: work!

p.s. I did take out one 7800 and set the bios to single video card instead of dual. Same issue.

Edited by toy4x4

Hmmm...and i thought I was the only one having the issue! Almost similar setup to yours:

Asus SLI Premium

Opteron 146

2*7800 GTX

I just cant seem to get vista installed on my main system no matter what. I have vista isntalled on my mce box and my 2nd rig without a problem. But for some reason or other I just cant seem to get any versions of Vista installed on the above setup.

Vista 5308 build version gives the option at the start of the install to load drivers that you may need to install

Is it necessary to load the drivers when I am installing Vista on an IDE drive which is automatically detected? I dont think so!

I installed the same build on two different computers, both having nforce chipsets and that too different ones - NForce2 (Abit NF7-S) and NForce3 (MSI Neo2 Platinum) and Vista installed perfectly without a hitch. I did not have to load any drivers at startup plus I was able to install Vista on an IDE as well as a SATA drive on the NF3.

Edited by big poppa pump

2x36gb WD Raptors on SI stripe

2x300gb Segate on SI Stripe

I thought this might be like a raid or sata drive. I do not use any of those on my test computer so this was just a suggestion.

If you are having problem why not post it in the Beta newsgroups for this Beta, that if you are a real tester or have a MSDN subscribtion.

Edited by gunsmokingman

Well! I stripped my main pc of all the raids and unwanted stuff is disabled. The only thing enabled is the ide drive, 2 atapi devices, my sound card and thats it. I even disabled raid in the bios! The only things I can think of is either chipset incompatibiltiy or the video card! For that matter I even removed the second 7800 and it still wont load.

I have a MSDN subscription. I even checked and posted in the BETA newsgroups and I actually saw quite a few people have similar problems but no solution so far. I am just taking a shot at every place possible to try the understand what the heck is going on over here?

Edited by big poppa pump

Just an update. M$ released build 60 of 5308 on connect today which I hear has some bug fixes and such. Hoping to get my hands on it soon and see if it solves the problem. I spoke to another buddy of mine and he has a similar setup except its a gigabyte nf4 chipset along with a 7800gt. He has the same problems that we'll have been having. I will keep my posts updated after an install of this latest unstaged build.

I have had problems in the past when the partition was created while using a BART environment (not PE). I can not recall the specifics however do you think it is some sort of permisions issue?....Prob not since you guys seem to all have similar hardware, but in the event the new release did nothing to remedy..... ;>

how many versions of NTFS are there now? Would a partition created in older partitioning software create a partition that Vista would snubb?

Edited by weaz1dls

That would be diskpart, the NT file system has 5 versions up to date, i am not sure what version Vista uses but i would expect to be different then the one that XP and 2003 uses (3.1 / 5.1)

more info on NTFS

NTFS