[Question] - Removing a Sliptreamed Service Pack 2

Pivkhan

The Neo-FISR has the VIA PT880 chipset, which is definitely compatible with the VIA Hyperion Pro drivers.

VIA Hyperion Pro drivers are suitable for ANY VIA chipset - but they are particularly recommended for KT4## series, P4X4## series and newer, for example:

K7 chipsets: KT400, KT400A, KT600, KT880, KM400, KN400

K8 chipsets: K8T800, K8T800Pro, K8M800, K8N800, K8T890, K8T890Pro, K8T900

P4 chipsets: P4X400, P4X400A, PT800, PT880, PM800, PN800, PM880, PN880, PT880Pro, PT894, P4M800/Pro/CE

C Series Chipsets: CN700, CN400, CLE266

At this point you probably have your drivers all "frustrated" since you've tried so many different versions. If I were at the point you're at I'd be backing stuff up to reinstall the OS. If you choose to do that (which I recommend you do) be sure to install the chipset drivers before anything else (other than the IDE/SATA drivers you're going to have to load during install).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

This is the thing... as soon as i installed xp (with the slipped SP2) i installed the drivers from the manufacturer CD for the chipset (which turns out was a nVidia nForce K8N, MSI Neo4, sorry bout that) and sequencialy grafics, audio, network as i used to work as a technician at a large PC building company and that was the policy order recomended by the manufacturers. The problems started immediatley after which is why i downloaded the latest drivers and tried them out unsuccessfully.

After a bunch of benchmark tests and tweaking it remained rather sirupy. Maybe it's just my scepticism torwards M$'s service packs in general but my suspisions turned torwards SP2 and it's increased network security issues that i thought might be clogging up the system. Hence, the topic :)

Anyway, i'll try again with a fresh install and the latest drivers and see where it takes me.

Thanks emencely for the support and the speedy responses guys! Your faith in service packs is an inspiration :)

Edited by Pivkhan

(which turns out was a nVidia nForce K8N, MSI Neo4, sorry bout that)
Hehe...I almost asked if you were sure it was the Neo-FISR. Looking at it again, I should've since you mentioned you have an Athlon64 and the Neo-FISR is a Socket478 P4 motherboard. Doh...guess who wasn't paying close enough attention...
Maybe it's just my scepticism torwards M$'s service packs in general but my suspisions turned torwards SP2 and it's increased network security issues that i thought might be clogging up the system.

Trust me...with that 3700+ you shouldn't notice the slight amount of overhead SP2 adds. :)

Sticking to what the topic asks ,

No you cannot remove Slipstreamed Service Pack.

The most simplest of the reasons for it is , it overwrites the older files with the newer version.

Now unless you have a Windows XP vanilla CD , i do not think you can install the basic version without SP2 :)

Trust me...with that 3700+ you shouldn't notice the slight amount of overhead SP2 adds. :)

Exactly my point. I was thinking that maybe the priority of the services effected by SP2 surpassed services I use. Meaning that maybe SP2 was looping some instance which overprioritized "silly" things like grafics acceleration. I was just hoping that there was an easier way to troubleshoot and cross referance an installation without the god forsaken SP2.

Guess I'll have to take the long way round huh?!

What are you talking about? DO you even know what SP2 fixed and changed?! It is basically recompiled kernel code AFAIR so that buffer overflow errors were taken out of XP and it included SP1 and all fixes before it. It has nothing to do with graphics acceleration. You are blaming your problems on something that has nothing to do with graphics. Oh and SP2 added a security center and a firewall which can both be turned off with no problems.

His post made sense to me. If one thing is prioritized over everything else, then everything else will run sluggish. Run something like Prime95 and set it at a high priority. Now go try to play a game such as Half-Life 2 or Quake 4 and watch how poorly it performs.

I know that Prime95 is an extreme example compared to the slight overhead from SP2 (which is much more than just a kernel recompile), but it makes the point.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Microsoft, as we all know, has security problems upon initial releases and those holes are priority with the boys in Silicon Valley. However, I doubt that fixes to accomodate multimedia flow isn't glanced upon once and a while and are surely subject to be included in the all famed SP2.

If this isn't the case, and multimedia is shunned to make way for all the misses our prodical children at M$ have produced, then maybe they should take a look at it?! Also, if multimedia wasn't prioritized in the making of the service pack, maybe it was forced to take a back seat after installing the dxmned thing?

Who knows what those sick mind come up with when we're not watching? :P

Edited by Pivkhan

This has gotten a little crazy.. The problem is going to be a configuration somewhere or a driver problem.. NOT SP2

If this whole prioritization of processes theory is non-sense.. How is it that my tiny 1.2 semperon 512 machine runs as it should. and for the record SP2 offers more than 75 enhancements\fixes for video\multimedia in sp2

NOW... it is very possible that if you arent using updated drivers and maybe the driver is not supported on SP2 for some strange reason then that would be the problem... but unless your running some legacy hardware.. which it doesnt sound like you are.. then this shouldnt be a problem.

Was this an nlited install.. ?

are you on the latest versions of all your drivers

have you tested all your hardware(memory, HD...)

special settings in your bios(mabe reset to defaults)

Any special tweaks that might have gone wrong?

I completely agree with suryad that it isnt SP2.

I completely agree with suryad that it isnt SP2.

Just to clarify...I am in agreement with that assessment as well. My previous post was simply an explenation of how service and process priority can affect how other things run.

As I previously mentioned he probably has his system frustrated, discombobulated, confused...whatever you want to call it...with all of the different driver versions he's tried. He may be able to get it working on the current install, but to me it sounds like he'd be better off starting with a fresh install and going from there. However, I would still recommend trying the latest chipset driver from NVIDIA before doing the reinstall. With so many things working as you say I still say it sounds like the chipset drivers aren't even there.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_wi...2_amd_6.70.html

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Now we have some slight contradictions.

suryad said: "It has nothing to do with graphics acceleration"

chilifrei64 said: "SP2 offers more than 75 enhancements\fixes for video\multimedia"

hmmm...

For the record...

yes it was an nlited install

yes the drivers are up to date

the hardware is brand new

i know how to set up a bios and this first time i set it sparringly

problems arose pre-tweaks

Now to set things straight cause you're right chili, this is getting crazy. I'm purely raising discussion about possibilities since there is obviously a split view of what SP2 could effect in terms of performance. Yes, maybe I'm the victim of poorly written drivers. Yes, maybe we're all victims of poorly written service packs. I'm not MCSE enough to make that call.

From my perspective.. with that information.. I would:

1. Just because hardware is new.. does not mean that it is not faulty. I would test it since you are having problems

2. I would try a non-nlited install just incase you unknowingly removed a component that 1 or more components in the system rely on.

3. Check for new/updated bios revisions and other firmware for the components on your machine.

These are the steps I would take in order to narrow down the problem.