[Question] - Removing a Sliptreamed Service Pack 2

Pivkhan

Is it possible at all to remove a sliptreamed Service Pack 2?

Do you mean to remove it from the CD or to remove it from a workstation that has been installed with an XP SP2 slipstreamed CD?

In the case of the former...you'd need the original CD to start over...you can't remove it once it's already been slipstreamed.

In the case of the latter...you can't uninstall a Service Pack from a system that's been installed with a slipstreamed CD. The uninstall files aren't added for any service packs or hotfixes that were slipstreamed directly into the CD.

Ok, but in theory, wouldn't it be possible just to overwrite the files effected by the service pack with the originals and reboot? And if there are system proccesses involved than wouldn't it be possible to crack open the service pack installation package and replace the new files with original ones? Making it an all-round service pack uninstall?

Edited by Pivkhan

I just bought new gear and it seams the drivers aren't responding like they should. I've tried the latest drivers from the manufacturers homepages and I've tried the original CDs. I have no proccesses running out of the ordinary and CPU and RAM performance is A OK. I've done reg checks and full virus checks. Still i'm having grafic problems, mouse lagging, P2P downtime and loads of other problems. Not being the drivers I assumed that maybe it's SP2 trouble.

My hardware:

MSI Neo Fisr

AMD 64 3700+

512MB Corsair DDRRAM

ATI X600 w/128MB

SB Audigy 4

Seagate IDE disks

NEC 3500

Nothing here is unknown hardware and prestanda should be a hell of a lot better than what I'm expiriencing. Especially games are lagging though i'm running with very low resolution and all effects turned off.

I'm going to say that your problem most likely is not SP2. It sounds like you don't have the chipset driver installed. Make sure you have the VIA Hyperion Pro drivers installed. If the chipset driver isn't installed then Windows XP won't properly recognize the USB controller, PCI controller, AGP/PCIe controller, etc, etc. Things may work, but it'll seem dodgy (like what you're experiencing).

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

That was the one driver I didn't try. MSI had a WHQL driver and I assumed that the newest chipset was included. However, I tried the VIA driver and it said that it couldn't even find a compatable chipset!!! Once again I back to wondering if it is an XP problem (service pack or not).

PS. I'm sorry this turned into a hardware disscusion :)