Starting New Network

hakeem5454

Ok, i want to start a new network(a wireless one), so i can share my printer and files with the other computers in the house. All i have is a router, an adsl modem, a desktop pc, another desktop pc(running wirelessly). can someone tell me the steps to make a network, all the steps that i've tried on the internet dont seem to work with me.

thanks.

Steps to make a network? Just do it. Is there a step-by-step guide?

I would say:

ADSL Modem, is it USB or does it uses Ethernet?

if it uses USB, start Internet Connection Sharing with a NIC on a computer. Connect the Wireless Router to that same NIC. DONE. Enjoy wired and wireless Internet.

As for the printer sharing ... Well, if you want, you can buy a wireless printer server, or, if $ is short (here it is), buy a wired printserver and connect it to the router. Everything that is connected to the Router, wireless or not, will be able to print.

P.S: People, feel free to add anything I may forgot.

The DSL router should act as a bridge (go to their website to find directions or call them), then use their red cable to connect to the linksys router. Configure the linksys router with the correct dsl modem settings...you may have to contact linksys for this.

When a friend had issues...I started with Sprint/Earthlink help desk, then they handed me off to an earthlink helpdesk. In the end..two hours on hold between both call centers.

• 3 weeks later...