Paint.NET 2.6

ZileXa

Here is how to install it silently:

PaintDotNet_2_6.exe /auto CHECKFORUPDATES=1 CHECKFORBETAS=0 JPGPNGBMPEDITOR=0 TGAEDITOR=0

xcopy "PaintDotNet.Strings.nl.*" "%programfiles%\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.Strings.nl.*" /A

the installer is only 3 MB.

But with previous versions, it was a 3,5 MB MSI file!

Now if you start the Paint.Net 2.6 installer and check Docs & Settings\Useraccount\Local Settings\Temp folder and get the extracted MSI from there, the MSI is 6 MB...

I rather have a MSI file because now we have to use a batch file to install it! but how do I get this 6MB msi down to 3 MB?

thanks, but I don't need that, I don't see the benefits:

your file is bigger then original installer,

if I want to update I just download the new installer and place in it my folder containing all the softwareinstallers, so using the method with the original installer and the switch is better.

so why use your 7z installer? that makes me depending on you, if you are willing to keep making the 7z installers... and where I can find them...

7z switchless installers are useful if original installer is larger.. and installing silently is more complex..

I just created the topic to now if there was a way to compress the MSI itself, modifying the file, ending up with a smaller msi.. because that is what the developers must have done with .net 2.5

but never mind, it is absolutely not important.

Updated to version 2.63

Before installing this package .NETFramework2 must be previously installed or the installation will fail. This will perform a default installation with a shortcut placed in 'Accessories'.

Get it here (3.4meg) MD5 = 8d38dacbb3bf0a40c8fb28187a291489

shark

Edited by Shark007

can i just use this switches /auto CHECKFORUPDATES=1 CHECKFORBETAS=0 JPGPNGBMPEDITOR=0 TGAEDITOR=0 to install it silently running the original setup.exe file?

another question. the other files extracted to temp folder are necessary in order to install it from the msi setup? because i wanna try to modify the msi but im not sure of the other files are required. thanks.

.msi installers may be reduced to much smaller 7z sfx setups by first creating a network image via:

msiexec /a setup.msi

...then pack the network image.

I've never found a setup file larger than the resulting 7zip setup if this is done.

~just in case that was overlooked.

(I use Photofiltre which requires no runtimes.)

.msi installers may be reduced to much smaller 7z sfx setups by first creating a network image via:

msiexec /a setup.msi

...then pack the network image.

This is not working with Paint.NET : it's mandatory to use the "setupfrontend.exe" (because of x86/x64)

I've never found a setup file larger than the resulting 7zip setup if this is done.

So try with the .NET Framework 2.0 x86 redistribuable...

MS exe : ~20 Mo

7z exe : ~30 Mo

There's Acrobat Reader 7 too... (not remembering the sizes ; but 7z is faster than FEAD)

always try to look the msi file with an msi editor.

i try everytime to modify my setups to make them my way, and if some people want other options they you just have to select them on the setup dialogs. but for unattended install i use many modified msi files. (modified options, shorcuts, registry entries and more, not removing stuff so all is there for other people).

the properties in the first post are there is you want to modify the setup to make them disabled by default (they will be unselected on the dialogs).

always try to look the msi file with an msi editor.

i try everytime to modify my setups to make them my way, and if some people want other options they you just have to select them on the setup dialogs. but for unattended install i use many modified msi files. (modified options, shorcuts, registry entries and more, not removing stuff so all is there for other people).

the properties in the first post are there is you want to modify the setup to make them disabled by default (they will be unselected on the dialogs).

I disagree, if the original installer can be installed silently AND is small in filesize, and you don't have to remove parts of it (like Nero), always use the original installer!

Can anyone explain WHY they would use a 7z installer someone made, while the Paint.Net setup is SMALLER and can be installed silently just perfect?

Don't get me wrong, I use .Net 7z installers from Ryan... because the original installer doesn't match the points I mentioned above.

i dont remove a thing off the installer, just mentioned that i edited the setup so the settings for making it the editor of image files is deselected by default. i didnt removed a component, just changed the default options like i wanted.

thats why i mentioned that is useful to use a msi editor to edit default options.

i agree with you, if you dont want to remove anything and dont want to change anything of the setup, stick to the original installer.