[Question] Searching for a new router

Wicket20519

LiquidSage, I don't know if you've seen this, but Microsoft has updated its wireless service:

KB893357 - Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) / Wireless Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) update

It's worked very well for me with the D-Link DGL-4300, but that router is a bit over $100.

Just an update:

I called Linksys Support. The guy said he'd e-mail me the RMA number. It never came. So I went to the RMA section on their site, typed in all my info, and it comes back saying my case number does not exist.

On a side note - I went to hook up a wireless person for someone I know and they bought a Linksys WRT54G. A few days later, they call me saying that the router keeps kicking them off.

I was thinking; is it that Linksys has a sneaky setting so that only computers with Linksys adapters will stay connected? If that is the case, I am definately looking into the other routers that you folks have posted.

I understand some people swear by Linksys, and there is nothing wrong with that. But I'm just so disappointed....

I was thinking; is it that Linksys has a sneaky setting so that only computers with Linksys adapters will stay connected? If that is the case, I am definately looking into the other routers that you folks have posted.
My Intel wireless NICs don't have any problems staying connected to Linksys routers.

My Intel wireless NICs don't have any problems staying connected to Linksys routers.

Neither does mine... My girlfriend and I both have Intel PRO 2200 cards, and I know that Linksys and D-Link cards have also connected to my network. No problems whatsoever...

I know it doesn't help but since Cisco bought out Linksys all their Routers turned to s***... I like the Dlink 624 just dont update the firmware to the most recent. A really nice router is the Dlink 804, it is a little more expensive but worth it for stable networking.

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess it's time for an update!

To make a long story short, Linksys replaced my v.3 WRT54G with a v.4. This new router (the v.4) ran quite well for about 2-3 months; no complaints from me. It had the latest firmware and was ready to go.

Then at the beginning of this month, the router started acting funny and seemed much slower than it was.

I have a total of 3 computers on the wireless network. 1 is a laptop with it's built in wireless 802.11g NIC, and the other two are desktop computers, both using the Zonet ZEW2500P USB 802.11g wireless adapters..

The two desktops keep getting kicked off almost constantly now; however, the laptop stays connected and has no problems. Because this linksys router has been acting up, I switched back to my trusty Netgear MR814 v2 and haven't had any problems.

This kicking off of the desktop computers is the same problem I had with the Linksys WRT54G v.3 that I sent back to get replaced. Why is it only the Linksys products having this problem?

As a side note, I kept pinging the Linksys router when it was acting funny today; here's what I got:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=538ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=3273ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=206ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=548ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1270ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Hardware error.
Destination host unreachable.
Destination host unreachable.

I've loaded the latest firmware and drivers, reformatted my computer.....I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

What firmware are you running on the Linksys router?

What wireless security are you running as well? just FYI, if you want to use WPA2, you'll need to install a special hotfix for it (Google will help you find it).

Also, there is a known problem with the default Linksys firmware and BitTorrent (or any massive-multi-connection protocol). An update to Thibor15c should fix the problem (it does for me).

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having so many troubles with this router. I've got mine at home, and it's been nothing short of fantastic. I've been running Thibor15c right now for about a month, and no disconnects, or anything else wierd.

Firmware version: 4.20.7

Wireless Security: WPA-PSK w/ TKIP and MAC address filtering.

And no, don't use BitTorrent.

Yes, it's been quite the pain. Yes, the router worked beautifully for the short time it did....It's just SO weird it's always the same two desktops that get kicked. Even back when both desktops had Netgear adapters, they both kept getting kicked off. The laptop NEVER has any problems!

I'm guessing that you've already tried to change the wireless security, and possibly even try to see if you can *gasp* turn it off...

Have you tried all kinds of other settings for the wireless security?

Actually, no, didn't think about changing the security settings....

On the box, it says the Zonet adapters support WPA-PSK TKIP....but why would they keep getting kicked off?

My Netgear router only supports WEP 128-bit encryption, so that's the new setting I put on the Linksys. I will let you know how things go.

Thanks!

Just a long shot, but does your place share a common wall with a neighbor (such as an apartment, condo, or house that has a common wall)?

If you are kinda close, it could be a neighbors cordless :}

Just a long shot, but does your place share a common wall with a neighbor (such as an apartment, condo, or house that has a common wall)?

If you are kinda close, it could be a neighbors cordless :}

No. There is a pond on one side of the house, and neighbor next door, but their house is a "normal" distance away. 20-30 FT? I'm really bad at judging distance.

I switched to WEP for tonight. Ironically, it's kicked off the laptop a few times, so I edited the wireless profile on the laptop and it seems to be running ok, for now. So far, so good! Just wish the WPA would work, if that's what it is.

If the current setup doesn't work, try upgrading to Thibor15c. I've never really trusted Linksys' default firmware (don't really know why - just a gut feeling).

It would be really really really helpful if you could find a friend with another wireless device (laptop, PDA, Nintendo DS, PSP, etc). If they're able to connect without problems, then you're one step closer to pinpointing the problem. :)

LiquidSage, I don't know if you've seen this, but Microsoft has updated its wireless service:

KB893357 - Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) / Wireless Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) update

It's worked very well for me with the D-Link DGL-4300, but that router is a bit over $100.

IS this update an update that is not flagged a critical update? Do users have to download this outside of Mircrosoft/Windows Update?