Definition Update Windows Defender (KB915597)

Aid

Hi Guys,

Basically I assumed that as the updated was being downloaded via Windows Update and the BITS service that the download must be logged in:

%systemroot%\windowsupdate.log

Once I understood the format of this log file I eventually found the download link within the log for the WD update file. I suspect that the update file name will change with each release; however once you have the file name you can download the file for offline updates on other PC's.

The same technique would work for other downloads which MS doesn't make "publicly" available but which are on Windows Update.

WD updating offline is not as straight-forward as I first thought. It appears that you need to completely close WD (end-task the services etc) before the update file will run and update correctly.

Kind Regards

Simon

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Since I was going through the usual routine of searching for KB915597 on Windows Update and not being able to find it, heres the link to the exe file for today, January 8th 2008.

The definition version is v1.24.5193.0

Don't forget, this only applies to Windows Vista.

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/software/defu/2008/01/mpas-fe_ab13ad4fa2f525832653cd4ca6820222d1bf4ca5.exe

You can just run the installation with:

START /WAIT mpas-fe_ab13ad4fa2f525832653cd4ca6820222d1bf4ca5.exe

(It does not need any switches, just running it installs it) ;)

Edited by LeveL

• 2 weeks later...