Definition Update Windows Defender (KB915597)

Aid

Hi,

Nope, but I grabbed the update file from a Windows Update session.

I have not tested this on a Windows Defender install which has not been updated but I think this should work.

My current WD verson numbers are:

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1186.0

Signature Version: 1.13.1282.6

Basically just run the attached file and it should update your WD install.

It would be really if MS released this update as a downloadable file for offline updates.

Kind Regards

Simon

Hi,

Nope, but I grabbed the update file from a Windows Update session.

I have not tested this on a Windows Defender install which has not been updated but I think this should work.

My current WD verson numbers are:

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1186.0

Signature Version: 1.13.1282.6

Basically just run the attached file and it should update your WD install.

It would be really if MS released this update as a downloadable file for offline updates.

Kind Regards

Simon

Attatched File? I don't see one, I need this so I can run it just after I install Windows Defender with my Batch file.

@Aid,

Apologies however the MSFN board doesn't seem to take files this size! :-)

Here is the Rapidshare link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/14055113/MPAS-FE.zip.html

Sorry for the confusion!

Do you have an unattended install .BAT or .CMD you can share? :)

Kind Regards

Simon

My whole batch file?

It aint totally error free, as I am still working on my Unattended DVD

I'll try Windows Update, see if the WD update is there.

EDIT: It's gone, thanks! :)

Start.cmd

Edited by Aid

Hi,

MS not making these updates for WD seperately downloadable for manual installation is a pain IMHO.

If you are installing or updating WD on a PC which is offline (perhaps due to spyware infection) then not being able to go online means you cannot update WD to the latest database.

Removing some spyware does damage your Internet connection so the ability to be able to update offline is a must when you are engaged in cleaning a PC of spyware (which I do regularly as part of my business).

I tend to favour tools and utilities which do allow for offline updating and downloading their updates manually as it makes my like easier. :D

Not everyone has a high speed Internet connection so having your tools on a CD ready to install is a godsend.

The updates for MSAS were available for download and later installation when offline so I hope this is something that is carried across to WD.

Anyway there is a work-around for now; go to your %SYSTEMROOT%\SoftwareDistribution folder and locate the file for the WD update as it is downloading in Windows Upadate and copy it elsewhere when the download is complete.

Extract the contents of the .EXE with your favourite unpacker (I used WinRAR) and the .MSP file will be inside.

Kind Regards

Simon

Anybody wanna do a tired soldier a favor and host this file somewhere else? I'm currently stationed in Kuwait and the Army servers don't allow access to Rapidshare or many of the other free services. I would really appreciate it. Thank in advance!

Yeh, my Laptop is offline when it runs

[GuiRunOnce]

%Systemroot%\start.cmd

to install Windows Defender due to having to choose a wireless network, unless someone knows how to choose a wireless network unattendedly?

Edited by Aid

Hi MaxaMoto,

The direct download link for the latest WD update is:

WD Update

Hope this helps :)

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Thank you! Even though I kick insurgent a** for a living now, I still like to geek out every now and again. It's... Ralaxing ;) Once again, thank you for your help.

Maxamoto

forgive me for being a lil slow on the ol uptake here.

i just got defender myself, and was wondering how the hell it updated? there is no option for it, and the website offers nada.

so, when i do my occasional check for updates via windows update, the defender beta update will show up every now and again? or do i need to do it elsewhere? seems like a pain.