non-english windows and FDV fileset

Izzie

My first attempt to get rid of IE before installation.

I followed each step of http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html to getmyself a working updated install CD with IE5. That done I headed for a complete IE removal install disk using http://www.vorck.com/data/sp5files.zip (no COM, no MSDTC) and a non-english w2k install CD.

I tested the result in a VM, installation went well and system seems fine (no thorough testing).

next step was to integrate a web browser to replace IE, added firefox and some other stuff (gspot, openoffice, .net1.1sp1, qt alternative, real alternative, tweakUI, jre 1.5.0.6, unlocker) in \HFSVPK. all these are english versions I gathered here and from ryanvm's forum, this will do for testing purpose.

(As the CD I'm building is intended for a non-english user with very little technical knowlegde, I'm planning to build localized switchless installer version for the final CD.)

Tested in a VM again. installation goes well as excepted, all added apps are present and working. While I was taking a tour of the VM I started noticing some system parts were now in english instead of non-english.

for example start menu now includes both a non-english accessories and english accessories directories, control panel appears in non-english in start menu, but in english in a non-english my computer icon on the desktop. the window title of the control panel is also in english.

this "features" can't make it to the final version of the install CD. I can either switch back to a IE5 included version or use a localized IE removal fileset.

For obvious reasons I wanna first try to go the no-IE way. so I've got a few questions:

- how do I build a non-english IE removal fileset ?

- do you know of a tutorial for that ?

- what files are needed in the first place ?

thanks for reading and for any help you can provide

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

I just stumbled upon the same problem .

So I downloaded FDV´s fileset again and tried to change the original (german) files accordingly.

Since I don´t have a clue about this stuff it obviously didn´t work.

I hope You found an answer already. If so, please post it.

Thanks

Agi Hammerklau

P.S.: I´m getting a little desperate since I´m working on this problem for over 4 weeks now...

Can both of you post your error_report.txt files? Also, are you sure that your switchless installers don't inject english into OS? Have you tested hfslip+localized updates+fdv's fileset without anything in your svcpck's folder?

Hmmm... I had the same problem. Resolved it by copying some

translated texts from apropriate polish files, especialy from [sTRINGS] sections, but not only. List of files:

DFRG.IN_

MPLAYER2.IN_

NETMSCLI.IN_

NETTCPIP.IN_

SYSSETUP.IN_

HIVEDEF.INF

HIVECLS.INF

LAYOUT.INF

SHELL.INf

SYSOC.IN_

MSOE.INF

Please look through them carefuly, to find translatable lines...

hi guys, januh has the solution.

the process was meant to lead folks and the files have english in them because they started as english files.

if you look at shell.inf for example, you'll see why the program groups are in english. you have to tailor your language files to be the same. or, you should change the english in my inf files to reflect the language you wish.

if i detailed the changes in each file, the lists would be rather huge, so creating a fileset was the easiest thing for me to do. feel free to change my files and host them, or you can send your language files (inf, etc etc) to me and i can include them on my site for downloading.

Thanks for the answers !

Looks as if I was on the right track already, so I will finish altering the original files.

As soon as I´m done I will run a test on them and post or mail them.

May take a couple of days due to limited time and knowledge but I´m pretty sure it will work out.

Should I encounter some unresolvable problems I will cry for help.

Until then, see you

Agi Hammerklau

• 1 month later...

Iv'e done a quick search, but, just finding fdv'd fileset in english is

giving me a hard time, i'm finding dozens of posts where it's mentioned,

just not a link to obtain..

I have modified all files for an xp setup except for setupapi.dll...

Cheers..

Try clicking on his sig:

"Keeper of the Remove IE From Win2k Project..."

http://www.vorck.com/remove-ie.html

A dozen lines down on the page you'll see links to his sp5 ie-free filesets:

http://www.vorck.com/data/sp5files.zip english

http://www.vorck.com/data/sp5files.pl.zip polish

Ahh, thanks, might help if I enable the view members sigs in my control panel..

I disabled it when joining in an attempt to load pages quicker when I was

on dial-up...

Although they're for Win2000 &, i'm after one for XP...

His how-to page only shows how to modify the 2000 + 2003

setupapi.dll, not the XP version... :-?

Edited by K e n

I don't think there is an XP version. FDV likes the server OSs. For XP you pretty much have to use nLite.

I don't think there is an XP version. FDV likes the server OSs. For XP you pretty much have to use nLite.

I'm pretty sure FDV more or less subscribes to the same ideas I do when it comes to pure function with windows:

2000 = XP with lots of stuff already removed for us (or not included to begin with)

XP = 2000 + even more stuff we want to remove (and has nothing extra we really need)

Although an IE free XP with SP2's firewall might be interesting if its possible, personally I'm much happier having 100% closed ports with no browser open and a hardware firewall.

I've noticed the more recent some component is from MS the more retarded pointless integration with IE it has.

"Lets render all our help files and menus and windows with IE!" Yeah, I'm talking about YOU antispyware/defender...

Now a 2k3 FDV-style fileset I can't wait to see, it actually does have some nice stuff.

Ahh, MSFN must have accidental double-post prevention. :w00t: I wonder what happens if I click 'Add Reply' twice...

Ahh, MSFN must have accidental double-post prevention. :w00t: I wonder what happens if I click 'Add Reply' twice...

Edit: Lol, cool. :D

Edited by Kramy

Aluminum and Kramy got the answers :)

It's doubtful I will ever do XP. 2003 does, on the other hand, interest me.

The HFCLEANUP leaves some errors. In order to isolate what is and is not necessary, I do have to make a fileset after all. I'd hoped it wouldn't be necessary. I need to consult with TommyP about a key issue.

What would help me no matter what course of action I follow:

I need volunteers, for tedious work. Details are in the "Poll" thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=71423

(Even though it's a poll, why not continue to use the thread, it's all relevant.)

Edited by fdv

• 1 month later...

I tried to translate FDVFILES into a german file-set.

Most applications install on right place with right name. But I can't find the places in FDV's files, where the accessories: Wordpad, Paint, Internet Connection Wizzard, Backup and System Information are linked - they still use the english named startup folders (accessories/communications and accessories/system tools) and english names for themself (Wordpad, Paint, Internet Connection Wizzard, Backup and System Information).

They should instead use german foldernames: Zubehör/Kommunikation and Zubehör/Systemprogramme.

Please help!

All other english strings in fileset are translated... seems so

post-65051-1150796192_thumb.png

Edited by murvun