virus question need advice

hi for the longest time (months now) ive been constantly attacked with a helkern virus atleast 5 times a day, maybe more ,, my firewall and virus programs prevent it from hurting me, but yet, it dosnt seem to stop attacking, even tho its constantly blocked

does any body know what i could do to end these virus attacks, im sure if its hitting my pc constantly through each day it must be attacking others as well,

i honestly thought if i just blocked it long enough,, the virus would be killed off eventually over time and stop attacking, but yet it seems to keep going on

any one know how to reporta virus ,,

and btw,, its not the same ip address thats sending the virus attacks, it seems to use a wide range of ip's

any help would be appreciated

thanks

the first matter of business would be to find out where the attack is coming from. Is this happening on a lan or a pc directly connected to the internet. In order to stop the attack.. you need to find the source and stop it. Simply adding a router/gateway infront of your network will effectively stop the attacks on your pc and make you less vulnerable.. if this is happening on a lan.. start scanning all pc's for viruses and clean them all.

Edited by chilifrei64

Cojntact your cable isp and tell them that you are being hit by a virus from whatever ip address it is coming from and let them block thier servers from that ip. I have had the same problem more then once on my cable connection and that was the only fix I found. I even sent emails to the attackers isp and told them -- thier only response was that they didn't have anything to do with it so I should just block it. I thought that was mighty crappy of them so I contacted my isp and they took care of everything.

Cojntact your cable isp and tell them that you are being hit by a virus from whatever ip address it is coming from and let them block thier servers from that ip. I have had the same problem more then once on my cable connection and that was the only fix I found. I even sent emails to the attackers isp and told them -- thier only response was that they didn't have anything to do with it so I should just block it. I thought that was mighty crappy of them so I contacted my isp and they took care of everything.

thanks thats some helpful advice

Sounds like someone is trying to hack into your computer to me. Do you have a firewall router? That should solve the problem.

If that was happening to me I would completely reinstall windows, because I would be too paranoid about it :)

it attacks me no matter what, every time i do a fresh install its still the same,, im running, outpost and kaspersky

,,, the bad part is ive traced it down to a school up in michagin, and im currently waiting for a call back from the schools principle to further research the problem,

ill contact my isp with the ips range and direct ips, other then that, im not sure what to really do, id rather keep any official law enforcers out of it, but id hate for this virus to hurt any others if it hasnt already, i just want it to stop scanning my pc and attacking me

That is interesting.. blame it on the michiganders:-p Most educational facilities in michigan (indiana/ohio.. the surrounding states) use MichNET as their ISP. As they do go down alot, they filter alot of stuff as to protect the schools/libraries. Mainly for my own benifit/knowledge.. which ISP is it?

As far as stopping it.. get yourself a 30 dollar Netgear router and put it infront of your internet connection. This greatly reduces your chances of getting hit from attacks.. On commercial ip address ranges.. you can get hit with more than 100 virus/port scans/exploit attempts per day. This is why they put up perimiter firewalls, because they perform what is called NAT which will block those attacks that are destined for PC machines. You will never stop all of them.. and even if you get the schoool to stop attacking you..you will still get attacks from other IP addresses.

The best bet to make sure that you dont get exploited or attacked if you are going to be directly connected is to uninstall windows file and print sharing and client for microsoft networks under the network adapter, this leaves only TCP/IP enabled on the interface and removes many of the services that get exploited on windows. Do that with an up to date firewall and you should be ok.. but you will NEVER stop all the attacks.. which is why they have firewalls.

If your machine doesn't have any exploitable services running, just ignore the attacks since they're not going to harm your computer if there isn't anything to exploit.

I once got ~60 incoming connection attempts per day before I changed ISPs, but nothing really happened since I didn't have any open ports.

hmmm maybe i should clairify my self better,, my pc has never been infected and its on cable,, but the problem is this virus keeps on attacking me, because my firewall is constantly picking it up.

This is why I always use a firewall with most Windows installations, because of internet viruses doing that. (Or at least probably) Sasser was a suspect of that behavior.

Sasser was the suspect of the following behavior:

Repeatedly port scanning, usually port 135 and port 445.

When I was using Sygate Personal Firewall, it was logging port scans within every hour at one point back in 2004.

When I was being port scanned, according to the firewall, many of them were from an IP address that's owned by the ISP I'm with! Probably zombie PCs with the same ISP I have port scanning my PC.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Port scanning happens to everyone. It's just a dumb pc that's uploaded with a port scanner. I used to do it. I actually got into a remote pc's registry. Also got access to the floppy, HDD, and optical drive.