Access to older release builds?

PACLF

Previous builds of... what?

As far as I know only two versions of 98 were officially released: 4.10.1998 and 4.10.2222A

Seeing he is posting in the 'Unoffical Win98 SE Service Pack' Section what do you think? -_-

you're such a jerk, codejunkie :angry:

PACLF, if you're looking for previous releases of the 98se SP, try searching for them at Google or Yahoo. As far as I'm concerned there's no need to use older builds of the 98se service pack as the latest release fixes problems found in previous releases.

so it's best to use the latest version of the 98se service pack.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.:) I will try to do a more extensive search online and see what I come up with.

The reason I'd like access to the earlier builds (of the "unofficial Win98 SP") is because I'm trying to track down a bug thats been occurring on a particular Win98 machine:

Without installing the unofficial Win98SE SP, writing files onto a floppy disk drive takes close to 10x longer than they should. So a 1200KB file would take approximately 7-8 minutes to copy onto the floppy drive. Installing the unofficial Win98SE SP somehow fixes this issues - as the same 1200KB file now only takes about 50sec to copy.

Unfortunately, installing the SP now causes the system to become quite unstable. During bootup, the system now crashes about 5-10% of the time - giving this "blue screen of death" error message:

- "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 016F:BFF8AB97. The current application will be terminated."

So among other avenues of investigation, if I could have access to the previous unofficial SP builds I could try to find out which build fixes the floppy write issue and also which is causing Win98SE to crash (and find if the two issues are related).

Anyways, any and all suggestions are welcome regarding where I might be able to acquire the previous builds, why the floppy writes are taking excessively long, or how to prevent the 0E exception crashes during bootup.

Thanks.

PACLF

here are some search phrases to look for when finding older releases of the 98se SP:

{type the following in the Yahoo search page}

sesp162en.exe

(this one is version 1.62 of 98se SP; few sites actually have this but this version causes

problems when trying to access the Windows Update site)

sesp202en.exe

(this one is version 2.02; again few sites still have it)

you can also try searching for "sesp20en.exe" or "sesp201en.exe"

Dont be surprised if the links to older releases of the 98se SP do not work anymore. most of the "mirror" sites have pulled the older builds off their sites. that is why I will NOT bookmark directly to the sites that have the older builds because they may have worked a long time ago but have now stop working. only a few of them might still work but many of them will give you a 404 not found message.

Edited by erpdude8

Without installing the unofficial Win98SE SP, writing files onto a floppy disk drive takes close to 10x longer than they should. So a 1200KB file would take approximately 7-8 minutes to copy onto the floppy drive. Installing the unofficial Win98SE SP somehow fixes this issues - as the same 1200KB file now only takes about 50sec to copy.
FYI the floppy driver is HSFLOP.PDR, you might want to try other versions of it.

The reason I'd like access to the earlier builds (of the "unofficial Win98 SP") is because I'm trying to track down a bug thats been occurring on a particular Win98 machine:

Unfortunately, installing the SP now causes the system to become quite unstable. During bootup, the system now crashes about 5-10% of the time - giving this "blue screen of death" error message:

- "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 016F:BFF8AB97. The current application will be terminated."

PACLF, can you tell us what kind of computer are you using? Run the Win98 System Information tool [msinfo32.exe] to gather details about your PC such as type & speed of CPU, amount of RAM installed, how big your hard drive is and what kind of BIOS your PC uses.

The blue screen of death [bSOD] error might be a problem with older versions of KB891711.exe and Q891711.dll files. these files were first included in version 2.0 of the SP and are part of the Win98 KB891711 security update and the unofficial U891711 patch. Try un-installing the KB891711 or U891711 patch to see if the BSOD problem goes away.

can you also tell us which versions of the 98se service pack fixed your floppy drive problem. I think you had a bad or corrupted hsflop.pdr driver and needed to replace it with either a clean one or an updated one.

here are some search phrases to look for when finding older releases of the 98se SP:

{type the following in the Yahoo search page}

sesp162en.exe

(this one is version 1.62 of 98se SP; few sites actually have this but this version causes

problems when trying to access the Windows Update site)

Thanks... I've managed to find version 1.62 just now and am about to try it out. I'll keep you guys posted

FYI the floppy driver is HSFLOP.PDR, you might want to try other versions of it.

Ahhh, this is the information that I need.

Do you know where I might be able to get the HSFLOP.PDR file that was used in the SP 2.02 or 2.1a release? Since my primary problem is the long writes to floppy, I'm hoping that just installing the correct floppy driver, without the rest of the SP, will fix the problem without causing the system to crash.

I've done some searching for the filename online and found some sites that have HSFLOP.PDR such as:

http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/fil...ws_95_files.htm <HSFLOP.ZIP>

But this is for a Win95 machine and dated 9-29-95 so I'm not sure if it's the correct/latest version.

PACLF, can you tell us what kind of computer are you using? Run the Win98 System Information tool [msinfo32.exe] to gather details about your PC such as type & speed of CPU, amount of RAM installed, how big your hard drive is and what kind of BIOS your PC uses.

I'll try to run msinfo32.exe when I get a chance. The information I do have now is:

CPU: Intel Mobile Pentium III @ 500MHz

NB: Intel 82443BX

SB: Intel FW82371EB - PCI-to-ISA/IDE XCELERATOR PIIX4

GPU: Silicon Motion SM731GX160000BC - Display Controller

Memory: 512MB - Micron 2x256MB SDRAM @ 100MHz SO-DIMM

SuprIO: SMSC FDC37B787QFP

BIOS: Custom modified version of General Software's BIOS

- The BIOS is a big question mark and I'm still trying to learn more about it. What I do know is that it is a modified version of one or perhaps multiple BIOS versions initially developed by General Software.

The blue screen of death [bSOD] error might be a problem with older versions of KB891711.exe and Q891711.dll files. these files were first included in version 2.0 of the SP and are part of the Win98 KB891711 security update and the unofficial U891711 patch. Try un-installing the KB891711 or U891711 patch to see if the BSOD problem goes away.

Is the uninstallation process pretty straightforward? I'm assuming I can just uninstall these patches from "Add/Remove Program Files"? I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, but I'll keep you posted.

can you also tell us which versions of the 98se service pack fixed your floppy drive problem. I think you had a bad or corrupted hsflop.pdr driver and needed to replace it with either a clean one or an updated one.

The version was 2.02 <sesp202en.exe>. As mentioned before, this version fixed the long writes to floppy but causes system crashes during boot-up.

I'm thinking pretty much the same, erpdude8. At least I hope that's the case and installing the HSFLOP.PDR driver alone will fix the problem. I just need to know where I can get a hold of the HSFLOP.PDR driver that was bundled into the unofficial SP release and how to install it properly.

Anyways, thanks again for all the advice and assistance, they have definitely given a better insight into this issue. I haven't tried all requests you guys have suggested, but I will and will continue to keep you guys posted.

I know for a fact that versions 2.0 & higher of the unofficial 98se service pack has v4.10.2224 of the hsflop.pdr file. And versions 1.5 and 1.62 of the pack had v4.10.2223 of that file.

Is the uninstallation process pretty straightforward? I'm assuming I can just uninstall these patches from "Add/Remove Program Files"? I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Look for the Windows 98 KB891711 Update in Add/Remove programs box. If it is there double-click to remove it and restart the computer. If it's not there run the MSConfig.exe tool from the Run dialog box to open the System Configuration Utility, click on the Startup Tab, look for the KB891711.EXE entry, uncheck the box next to that entry, click OK and reboot. then delete the KB891711.exe and Q891711.dll files from the \Windows\system\kb891711\ folder.

About the Hsflop.pdr driver on your Win98se computer; delete it first or restore the original from your Win98se setup CAB files, then apply the Q262232 hsflop.pdr 4.10.2224 patch.