23 members have voted

1. 1. Best laptop company

• Dell
    • Acer
    • MDG computers
    • apple
    • toshiba
    • sony (viao)

Out of the options, I'd say Dell. Another big contender is Lenovo. They still use the same parts that IBM used when they still dealt with the consumer lineup. Both companies have good quality control and generally satisfactory products. I'm definately heppy with mine, and I know lots of other people who have theirs working just fine.

Toshiba - I've heard of one model where the metal casing wasn't properly sheilded from the internals. When you rested your wrists on the laptop and typed, the bio-electricity in your body would cause the computer to hard reboot. :}

Sony - decent laptops, but far overpriced.

Apple - Same as Sony, but even more so. (It's all about marketing for Apple)

MDG - I dunno... they seem kinda sketchy. I've just never had a good feeling about them.

Acer - Most of the people I know who have Acer laptops are generally satisfied with them. My friend just got a new one with the Intel Core Duo and it's pretty slick.

In the end, it's actually all about the little things. With my laptop, it's a bit thicker than other laptops, but there are standoffs that keep the lit away from the keyboard. This means that you won't get the tell-tale keyboard scratches on the LCD. Also, the power cord for my Dell allows for the cord to be wrapped around the power adaptor, meaning that it's a nice compact thing that you throw into your bag.

If you want a really good resource for reviews and other users opinions, http://www.notebookforums.com/ is a good place to look. They've got pretty much all the info you could ever want. :)

Hope this helps!

@jondercik - Why do you say Alienware? Their systems sit at a very premium price. For example:

Dell Latitude D510 - $1,357 USD + tax

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz) w/ 14.1 XGA

Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2

512MB DDR2 533MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS

40GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM

Optical Drive - Modular

24X CD-RW/DVD w/ Sonic Digital Media™ and Cyberlink PowerDVD™

4 Cell Primary Battery

65W A/C Adapter

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 802.11b/g WLAN miniPCI Card

Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module

3 Year On-site Mobility Plan

Sentia™ m3400 - $1,595.00 USD + tax
Intel® Pentium® M 740 1.73GHz 2MB L2 Cache 533MHz FSB

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2

3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service

Alienware® Sentia m3400 with 14" Wide-XGA 1280 x 768 LCD Display with Webcam - Xeno Grey

Alienware® Intel® 915GM + ICH6 Chipset

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 b/g Wireless Card

512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 256MB

40GB 5400 RPM ATA100

Intel® GMA 900 Extreme Graphics

Intel® High-Definition Audio

24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder

Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

56K Modem with V.90 Technology

Granted it's widescreen, but $240 more? And that's not even when you go high-end.

im shopping around to buy one. i have a lot of time though. about alienware, that was my first idea, but then it would have cost me 500$ in taxes and shipping, so im not buying one of those lol.

i also posted this as a general question for everyone, because not many people know the high end laptop companies. everyone thinks desktops. Examples, alienware are top of the line gaming machines, dells can sometimes go crazy, dont ever buy a compaq desktop, and other examples i cant think of right now. the problem is when you want to buy a laptop; there's less information out there (well, except on that site which im checking after this post). hopefully this thread will be able to help anyone whos wondering "where should i buy my laptop".

I have an ibm thinkpad x40. Pretty nice system. I would have rathered an ASUS, but this one was free.

It is small and very portable (thats what you want in a laptop right?) but the DVD is in the docking station, this has pros and cons. Pros 6 hour battery life undocked. Cons can't use the DVD drive without the docking station, so no SW Rebellion or Empire at War while I travel.

First thing I did when I got it was remove the Windows install that was on it and reinstalled it myself. I left off much of the IBM software and converted the recovery partition to a linux partition for a dual boot. The built in WiFi is nice. Supposedly it has blue tooth but I'm still new to that (i need to find out for sure so I can get one of the new blue tooth mice).

I mostly got the laptop to use for GPS but since this is such a nice one I game on it too. I can play World of Warcraft on it, I actually prefer to play my hunter in PVP on it vs my desktop pc for some reason. It plays it pretty well as long as I stay out of Ogrimmar (and I'm sure higher level instances).