Photoshop CS2

Glen

Greetings.

I only discovered this site today, just after I managed to install Nero 7 with only Burning ROM and Express, not all the other components and particularly not Nero Scout. It sure would've come in handy to read the guides here before doing it all myself, but I suppose I've learned more this way.

Anyway, my next mission is to install Photoshop CS2 without Bridge, Stock Photos and Help Center. It's more difficult than it looks because if you just run the Photoshop .msi it automatically installs the rest too. I managed to install only Photoshop by running the other .msi's first, which creates entries in Add/Remove Programs for them individually rather than all coming under Photoshop, then uninstalling them after I installed Photoshop itself.

But I'd really rather being able to not install everything else in the first place. So, I tried editing the .msi file, firstly by removing any reference to any of the extra programs (but the Photoshop .msi then refused to run) and secondly by removing any reference to the other .msi files (Adobe Bridge.msi and so on) but somehow Photoshop managed to install them anyway.

So, does anyone know how to achieve this without having to install the other .msi's first?

Thanks.

if anyone can pull this off ill praise them forever because i too would love to be able to install photoshop cs2 without those extras, also would u be able to point me in the direction of the guide for nero 7 with only burning rom/express, i can remove the other directories but its mainly the thousand of registry keys that cause me problems.

well come to think about it this may be easy to do

first of all check out RogueSpear's Guide

and learn how you can use Admin Studio to repack some apps

then do the same with Photoshop, run the other .msi's first and then uninstall the ones you dont want like Bridge etc...

and then repack it with Admin Studio.

i havent tried this, so i dont know if it will work. but why wouldnt it work?

:thumbup

Just figured out an easy way of doing it.

Go to Start -> Run and type in msiexec.exe /a "*path to wherever the file is*\Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi". This extracts the files and puts them in a location you specify.

Now, the next step would be to navigate to the folder you chose and run Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi, but there's a bug in the installer which causes it to stop when it's trying to find "photoshop.cer". The problem is that there's an extra space in the directory, so you have to edit the .msi file.

Once you open it, click on "Files and Folders" and navigate through [CommonAppDataFolder] -> Adobe -> Updater and right click on Certs and open it's properties. Remove the underscore from "Directory Identifier" and the spaces from "Source Location" and "Target". There you have it, a successfully modified .msi.

Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi should work now and you'll end up with Photoshop but not Bridge, Stock Photos, Help Center or Gamma.

Enjoy. :lol:

Just simply delete the following directories from the setup files/directory:

[bridge]

[help center]

[stock photography]

Then only the following programs will be installed:

Adobe ImageReady CS2

Adobe Photoshop CS2

Edited by cwyhk

Just simply delete the following directories from the setup files/directory:

[bridge]

[help center]

[stock photography]

Then only the following programs will be installed:

Adobe ImageReady CS2

Adobe Photoshop CS2

For some reason, it doesn't work like that. If you delete the files, Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi won't install because it looks for the other files to install with it. If you then go and delete any reference to any of the other programs in the .msi, it still manages to find and install them.

Edited by Glen

• 3 months later...

Go to Start -> Run and type in msiexec.exe /a "*path to wherever the file is*\Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi". This extracts the files and puts them in a location you specify.

Now, the next step would be to navigate to the folder you chose and run Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi, but there's a bug in the installer which causes it to stop when it's trying to find "photoshop.cer". The problem is that there's an extra space in the directory, so you have to edit the .msi file.

Once you open it, click on "Files and Folders" and navigate through [CommonAppDataFolder] -> Adobe -> Updater and right click on Certs and open it's properties. Remove the underscore from "Directory Identifier" and the spaces from "Source Location" and "Target". There you have it, a successfully modified .msi.

Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi should work now and you'll end up with Photoshop but not Bridge, Stock Photos, Help Center or Gamma.

I cant find the three things you mentioned when I bring up the properties of the Cert folder. Directory Identifer, Source Location & Target. :huh: Could you please post a scree shot.

Edited by regga

• 3 weeks later...

You need to know the difference between a "post" and a "topic"... This topic has nothing to do with Nero, but the post I quoted had something to do with it.

:D Always fun helping people out who are new to forums...

• 4 months later...

ok, so to those people who've been stuck for a little while, and to those of you who may be stuck in the future, as i was, since NOBODY EVER ANSWERED THIS!!!...LOL

i've fixed the "photoshop.cer" error we've been receiving.

as Glen said above, you have to edit the msi file....well, i know you are stumped at "directory identifier" and "source location" and "target" when he said that, you probably just went...huh?!

idk how it is with another editor, but i used orca....its small, easy, free, and i have a screenshot to REALLY help you :)

photoshopsilentforumxl3.th.jpg

the arrow points to the highlighted field under table, the directory listing on the left side....

as you can see, the entire field (already modified and fixed) says the following:

"CERTS_ UPDATER CERTS~1|Certs"

UNMODIFIED, the field actually says this...

"CERTS_ UPDATER CERTS~1|Certs "

so, there ya go. hope that helps all the ppl who had a tough time like me now that ive spent 9 hours making a silent photoshop install :)