Windows profiles

Gerben

If I install my RIS image on a client PC and I login with the admin account everything looks great. My Windows profile settings have been saved and transferred correctly. But what I would like is that when a new user logs in he gets those same settings. Is that possible with RIS?

Hi,

That's what we do here. The way we do it is via a combination of SIF file entries and REG modifications to the default user profile. By adding the REG modifications as HKLM and/or HKCU at build time in the way described below, they will automatically apply to the default user profile.

The registry modifications are contained within .reg files.

These . reg files are processed using the following command:

REDEDIT /S TEST1.REG
REDEDIT /S TEST9.REG

These commands are contained within a cmd file (i.e. reg_add.cmd) that is placed in the $OEM$ folder.

The cmd file is called from the "cmdlines.txt" file. This is a file recognised by Windows setup and should also be located within the $OEM$ folder.

For example, for the case above the contents of cmdlines.txt would simply be:

reg_add.cmd

Hope that gives you a pointer.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Fencer128

Thanks Fencer that sounds great. But I dont quite understand it all. :blushing:

Those reg modification files I make them by using the export function right? Then I suppose I need to search where all the user settings get stored in regedit?

And those files get executed by a cmd file correct? I just looked up what a cmd file is. But Ive never made one. (You dont mean batch files do you?) What app do you use to make them?

And the textfile that I know how to make. :) But why do I place it in the OEM folder? Is it because the file gets executed during/after setup?

Thanks Fencer that sounds great. But I dont quite understand it all. :blushing:

No problem. I wasn't sure what you already knew.

Those reg modification files I make them by using the export function right? Then I suppose I need to search where all the user settings get stored in regedit?
That is correct. In fact, it you don't export it through regedit and forget to add the following to each *.reg file (which regedit adds automatically), things don't work:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Please note that you can include multiple registry changes within the same reg file, but you only need the above title once (at the top of the file). I have my registry entries split into several reg files as I found that sometimes adding too many to a single file causes a failure. You can easily add 10 - 20 though in my experience, without issue.

There is a stickied thread in the "Unattended Windows" forum here that lists lots of different registry entries so you don't have to hunt for them manually.

And those files get executed by a cmd file correct? I just looked up what a cmd file is. But Ive never made one. (You dont mean batch files do you?) What app do you use to make them?

A cmd file is just a batch file. Exactly the same for all intents and purposes of what we are doing here, but different suffix. I'm sure *.bat will work the same as *.cmd. As such, I'm sure you know how to make them ;)

And the textfile that I know how to make. :) But why do I place it in the OEM folder? Is it because the file gets executed during/after setup?

RIS is very specific about certain file locations. Look up some MS info on RIS to see what I mean. BTW it is $OEM$ and not OEM. RIS is really picky!

Good luck,

Andy

A quicker and dirtier method is to RIS a PC and login as administrator. Configure all the settings you'd like to change and then reboot. Log in as a different user and navigate to C:\documents and settings\administrator and grab the file NTUSER.DAT (it is a hidden file so you need to enable viewing hidden files to see it) NTUSER.DAT contains all of the registry settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. If you put it in "$oem$\$Docs\Default User" in your image it will be the default user settings for everyone that logs into the next PC you RIS.

• 1 month later...

I followed Fencer/Andy's instructions but i cant get it to work. Im only trying to execute a wallpaper reg info file. Ive put the 3 files(reg file, cmdlines.txt + regtest.cmd) in the OEM directory and also in $1 -> minisetup. Am i missing something here? Should these files execute themselves? Does RIS do this by default? Because i havent configured it to do so.

Another option is to create a Default User like suggested, but place it in \\%SERVER%\NETLOGON\Default User. Whenever a new user logs onto a machine, it first checks to see if there is an existing profile...if there isn't, then it checks the network for one...if none there, then it checks the local computer for one. Just another idea to toy around with.

edit: Nevermind i got it working :D

I did do something like that. I simply copied the profile to the default user profile in the riprep image.

But i have a weird problem with the wallpaper i chose. Sometimes it works fine when i logon with a new user. But at other times there is no wallpaper configured. Untill you actually check display properties-> desktop. Those settings are correctly configured still Windows does not display the wallpaper. I need to press ok in the desktop settings to have it applied.

Edited by Gerben

Are you logging in sometimes using RDP? I think the default is to disable wallpaper during RDP sessions. Short of that, I've had a similar problem at times, but it's a little different I think. It involves a utility called UltraMon, a small utility for optimizing dual screen displays. The only thing I can do is what you described - go to the settings and click ok. The reason I say it's different is because UltraMon has some wallpaper handling capabilities of it's own. Frustrating nonetheless.

I havent used RDP before making the image.

But i have checked regedit at HKCU-> Control Panel -> Desktop on the client pc and apparantly only "convertedwallpaper" has the right value but "original wallpaper" and "wallpaper" dont.

Ive tried to run a few registry import/exports by using the cmdlines.txt method but either it doesnt work or the import gets overwritten before i can login.

Im using RIPREP images by the way I probably should have mentioned that.

edit: I just realised that i could just alter those settings and then make a (riprep) image. So im gonna try that now.

Edited by Gerben