Having problems with custom msgina.dll and editing classic logon scree

TruVue

I'm trying to edit the classic logon screen for my unattended installation in Windows XP Pro so that all future computers will have our company logo on each side of the "windows xp professional" graphic on the classic logon graphic. I am basically following the instructions on MSFN.

I opened up the existing msgina.dll in my system32, used ResEdit to extract the Bitmap00101 and Bitmap00107 bitmaps, used Photoshop to add the logos, replaced the old bitmaps with the newly created (new file names too, just in case it matters) bitmaps and saved the resource as "tvgina.dll" in the $$\system32 directory of my OEM folder.

(The original bmp's were 31k and 37k. The new bmp's turned out to be 89k and 101k, just for info's sake)

I attempted to run a registry tweak, following MSFN's directions, but nothing happens. I check the registry and see there is no entry for GinaDLL under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon. I check other machines and notice that none of them have GinaDLL in the registry.

I decide to add my own string called GinaDLL, make sure it's a REG_SZ and put in the path C:\WINDOWS\system32\tvgina.dll (I copied the file to the system32 directory on my test machine). Rebooted and get hit with the nasty 'could not load dll' error w/ Restart button. Went into safe mode, removed the registry line.

I then decided to rename msgina.dll to msgina.OLD and renamed tvgina.dll to msgina.dll and let the machine load it on its own. After a reboot, the new logo's worked, however, ctrl-alt-delete and shutdown no longer brought up a window. (:blink:). Had to run recovery console to rename the dll files and revert back to the original dll files. This tells me that bitmap 107 seems to work but there's something wrong with 101?

Can anyone give any feedback as to why this isn't working? Kinda at a loss :}, especially with the regedit stuff.

my reg tweak code btw:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
GinaDll="mygina.dll"

I've tried it with quotes around ginadll instead of mygina also. pulling this off of msfn basically.

Edited by TruVue

I got the msgina.dll file to work by editing it on the test machine, saving it as a copy, then going into recovery console and renaming it to "msgina.dll". However, placing it in the $OEM$/$$/System32/ directory did not work when I ran the unattended install. It is still using the old version. :blink:

At a loss again.

• 3 weeks later...

probably because there is the correct version on the computer and it is reverting to that....I would suggest just replacing the original file (all occurances...might check driver.cab and sp?.cab files) on the xp install before burning to a disc. That is what worked for me anyhoo. good luck :hello:

Edited by Power350

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

TruVue... this might be a little late, but I had the same problem when I used the ResEdit... switched to ResTuner and everything works fine now !... Somehow ResEdit doesnt compile the dll correctly.

Good Luck.

• 10 months later...

I had the same problem with msgina.dll and shell32.dll. I edited them using TGTSoft's ResBuild. They were compiled successfully. Next, I replaced the original ones with mine, using WinXP Setup's Recovery Console.

After rebooted and logged on successfully, I just found that Shutdown, Logoff, Run functions in the Start menu didn't work anymore. Neither did Ctrl-Alt-Del, it didn't respond, so I had to press computer's Power button in order to turn it off.

Thanks for any help.