Big Queston!

hermit

when one delete registry entries in the registry, the registry file size does not reduce

in windows me, there is a function called something like regsvr32/fix where windows rebuilds the registry for you and dramatically reduce the registry file size

in windows xp..where is this function?...my registry is keep on growing bigger and bigger in size!

Guest LouCypher

HKLMSYSTEMControlSet001Controlhivelist

has all the locations of the files used to build your registry as it appears to you in REGEDIT. Most of the main files are in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32CONFIG. The user portions are in the profile directory for each user.

The "REGSVR32 /FIX" doesn't work anymore, so forget about it. It used to be you could export the registry to a text file, delete it, and then recreate the registry from the text file, resulting in a smaller registry. You can't do that anymore because of Windows File Protection.

There USED to be a registry key to set the RSL (Registry Size Limit), but that functionality has also been disabled. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q292/7/26.ASP

So basically, Microsoft has taken out all previous ways of reducing the size of your registry, or limiting the amount of diskspace your registry takes up. I guess they assume EVERYONE is going to be running XP on a 100GB ATA 100 drive or something. From the summary on their webpage:

In Windows XP, the Registry Size Limit (RSL) functionality has been removed. Therefore, [b:468fc63a59]there are no longer any limits on the total amount of space that may be consumed by registry data (hives) in paged pool memory, and in disk space[/b:468fc63a59].

[/quote:468fc63a59]

Certainly not the answer you wanted, but it's the best I can come up with. :)

yup!

so just let the registry file size grow bigger and bigger??!?!?!

any solution?

so that means no use running all those registry cleaner..?!?!?

ex. regclean by MS, regcleaner by forgot who, norton utilities , etc...etc...!!!?!?!?!?!

WHAT THE?!?!??!?!

:behead :blueteam :WTF?: :nerves :yeahyeah :mad: :blueteam :wail:

Guest LouCypher

yup!

so just let the registry file size grow bigger and bigger??!?!?!

any solution?

so that means no use running all those registry cleaner..?!?!?

ex. regclean by MS, regcleaner by forgot who, norton utilities , etc...etc...!!!?!?!?!?!

WHAT THE?!?!??!?!

:behead :blueteam :WTF?: :nerves :yeahyeah :mad: :blueteam :wail: [/quote:d3dc440ac8]

I think you'll still see some benefit running RegClean to remove unused entries. There's a large amount of garbage left over by most programs when you uninstall, in the hopes you might reinstall or upgrade in the future. Something like regclean would remove those entries. I personally had a problem with REGCLEAN from Microsoft becase it detected some keys as not being in use when they were, and as a result there was a program I had that didn't work right after that. I can exactly remeber which one as it's been so long (I was still running Win95 I think, before 98 came out).

The registry is still mostly made up by files which can be compressed and defragmented. Running regclean might make the registry files smaller by removing some of the garbage left in there.