Unknown Problem

Aegis

So finally all of my computer parts arrived, and I'm thinking this is it. I assemble everything and click the power button...and nothing starts up. Getting a little irritated, I suspect it's one of my devices, so I unplug everything but the processor and fans and try again. Still nothing. Now I'm suspecting it's the power cable or power supply. Switch both of those and still nothing!!! I'm starting to think I got another DOA motherboard, but I'm hoping that's not the case :blushing:. Is there anything I might've forgotten (Yes, I checked to see that the power cord was plugged in :P)?

WOW. not again! you have some epox nf4 mobo, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...-123-236&depa=1

this one except that u got it from mwave?

the board is supposed to work great and very stable, it just may be that mwave sucks

i would suggest asking mwave if u could just return it and say that u dont want another one, then either buy it from newegg or get another mobo instead such as dfi,msi,asus.

Maybe a stupid question, but I had this happen to a buddy of mine who bought all parts and got so involved in assembling the system he missed one important thing...

Did you make sure that your power switch connector to the mainboard is in the correct position and not in reverse polarity?

Like I said, maybe a stupid question, but sometimes it's those little obvious things we overlook.

I'm really confused as to what I've done wrong now. I removed the processor, which was the last thing connected to the motherboard, and for testing's sake, I tried the power one last time and voila! It powered up. Might be what ironman suggested...my power cable might've been in the wrong position. Anyway just happy to find out my motherboard isn't faulty :).

Ok, I've isolated the problem. Once when the CPU is installed, the thing won't power on. My processor is an Opteron 165. Surely a 450W power supply has enough power to feed it. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Could it be a BIOS problem? My motherboard doesn't even support dual-core (or Opteron) without a revision. Would that cause it to not power up the system?

Edited by Aegis

If you have a spare cpu compat with the board laying around, you can install that and then do the bios update from the manufacturer's web site and when done, install the opteron from there. I would think the 450w PSU would work fine.

I had a similar problem with a system I built in the past.

The mobo had some DIP switches and they were in the wrong positions for the chipset my mobo employed.

Also, if the mobo BIOS has overclock settings, check them. I had to change mine to get it to boot.

Hope this helps.

RoB

Edited by xrobwx