Removing CPU Fan

rluka

Hi All :hello:

Im upgrading my older P4 1.6 CPU to a 2.4. I cant figure out how to get the fan off the top of the CPU.

I know this probably sounds pretty dumb..but I need some help here.

Also..will I need to make any changes to the Bios settings? Im running WinXP Pro.

Any pointers on something that Im missing would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks..RonL

some inportant info that could help:

is this a prebuilt pc or did you build it yourself?

if you built it did you use a stock cooler?

if you did not build it check your manufacturers site for info

most of the time if you built it the motherboard comes with info on this.

It's the stock ones that are rather confusing to remove...

Pull the two levers in the opposite direction to loosen the clamp.

The clamp is still hooked to the mounting frame on the mobo. Pull the clamp outward one side at a time until it's free, then lift the clamp off along with the heatsink itself.

post-87919-1140592748_thumb.jpgI had it built on an Asus P4B266-C motherboard.Im pretty sure its the stock P4 fan. Also, how much 'Thermal Coumpound' should I use?

Thanks for all of your replies :thumbup

Edited by rluka

Also, how much 'Thermal Coumpound' should I use?

The SMALLEST possible amount, have a look here:

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?...=compound.shtml

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

but ENOUGH to make sure that contacting surfaces are covered.

This is a nice simple way to do it :

http://www.overclockers.com/tips692/

jaclaz

Okay, after you have removed the fan you "may" notice that the CPU is almost welded to the Heatsink if this is the case gently pry the CPU it off of said heatsink.

After you have removed all of the factory heatsink material or thermal grease from the old heatsink clean it with 99% rubbing alcohol.

As far as amount of Thermal grease to apply, I go by trial and error starting with just a little dab on the centre of the installed CPU.

Then gently place the heatsink on top and apply a small amount of pressure to settle the grease into place.

Then lift up heatsink and eyeball the CPU to guage if it will be a enough to fill up all of the contact areas.

When installing the fan and heatsink make sure that all 4 clips are in place by having a "look see" of all four corners.

Then after you are sure all clips are secure pull both levers at the same time up and over so that you have applied equal pressure to the heatsink and cpu.

I installed the 2.4 CPU and nothing happened when I tried to boot up. I reinstalled my 1.8 (I thought it was a 1.6) CPU and it opened up in the Bios settings, Advanced mode, where all of the CPU settings are.

There is a note in RED on the right side saying: "During the last boot-up, your sytem hung for an improper CPU spead setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliabilitry, make sure the CPU speed conforms to the specifications of your CPU."

Now what do I do? My 1.9P4 CPU runs at 1.500v and I noticed that the 2.4 has a 1.525v stamped on it.

Does this make a difference? :no:

Thanks again for all of your help.

Ron L :thumbup

I changed the Bios setting to automatidcally detect the CPU speed and my computer just hang.

I think the CPU is hooped. Bought it off Ebay..What do you think?

My motherboard is set to "jumper free".

Let me know if Im getting it right.

Thanks..Ron L

What's the model number information from the CPU? It's possible that your Asus P4B266 doesn't support the 2.4 you got. If it's an 800MHz FSB 2.4 or a 533MHz version of the Prescott, it won't work with your motherboard.

Reply with all markings from the CPU. If you have the box reply with all markings from the sticker on the side of it as well.

Yes, my motherboard supports a 2.4P4. And the CPU was packaged very well. The seller has a very good reputation.

Oh, what to do :}

My motherboard supports up to a 2.4P4, 400FSB, 512cache and thats what his 2.4 CPU is..400FSB, 512cache, 478pin.

The back of the CPU reads: Pentium4

2.4GHZ/512/400/1.525v

SL6GS MALAY

L245A639-8388

Edited by rluka

Have you made sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard? The latest official (1006) adds support for "new" CPUs. 1005 adds support for Northwood C-1 stepping CPUs. If you have anything prior to either of those then it's likely your BIOS doesn't support the CPU...just update the BIOS and it should work. There's also a 1007.002 beta BIOS. No notes on what the beta BIOS fixes or adds though.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch