[Help] - WindowsXP random reboots.

Synomenon

Just assembled my sister a new PC and once in awhile it will just randomly reboot. I'm not sure what is causing this. I know it's not the CPU overheating as I've checked the BIOS right after one of these random reboots and the temps are fine. I've run memtest86+ for the past 14 hours and it hasn't detected any errors.

I've checked the minidump folder in C:\Windows\Minidump and there are files with the extension *.dmp. I opened a couple with notepad, but it's just a bunch of strange symbols, letters and numbers.

Last time it did a random restart, as soon as Windows started back up, I went to the Even Viewer. I didn't see any errors under the first column "Type". I did see an Information entry with the source "Save Dump". I double clicked on that and it said this:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Save Dump

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 2/18/2006

Time: 1:44:48 AM

User: N/A

Computer: My PC

Description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0xffffffef, 0x000000ff, 0x00000001, 0x804e0417). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021806-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

All the entries that appear in the Event Viewer around the time immediately after a random reboot have the same information as above.

Just assembled my sister a new PC and once in awhile it will just randomly reboot. I'm not sure what is causing this. I know it's not the CPU overheating as I've checked the BIOS right after one of these random reboots and the temps are fine. I've run memtest86+ for the past 14 hours and it hasn't detected any errors.

I've checked the minidump folder in C:\Windows\Minidump and there are files with the extension *.dmp. I opened a couple with notepad, but it's just a bunch of strange symbols, letters and numbers.

Last time it did a random restart, as soon as Windows started back up, I went to the Even Viewer. I didn't see any errors under the first column "Type". I did see an Information entry with the source "Save Dump". I double clicked on that and it said this:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Save Dump

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 2/18/2006

Time: 1:44:48 AM

User: N/A

Computer: My PC

Description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0xffffffef, 0x000000ff, 0x00000001, 0x804e0417). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021806-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

All the entries that appear in the Event Viewer around the time immediately after a random reboot have the same information as above.

Could be your memory, are you useing mixed memory for example different brands or different speeds, or something else like hardware, try removing anything not essential like sound card, or modem, or even your video card, if you have another video card switch it out.. try one thing at a time.. first take one stick or ram out, if that doesnt work, try switching out the ram, take out sound card if does not work goto the next hard item good luck

What kind of reboots are we talking? Is it just a complete restart as tho someone had hit a reset button or do you get a BSOD first?

If it's like a reset switch type reboot then the next question is do you have a lot of drives/peripherals attached? I spent months trying to track down a reboot like that only to discover that the problem was the fact that I'd bought a really cheap and nasty generic PSU that had low stability across its +12v rail.

The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0xffffffef, 0x000000ff, 0x00000001, 0x804e0417). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021806-01.dmp.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - most likely a buggy 3rd party driver.

The system is only configured to produce minidumps so there's not much info, but if you zip & attach the dump file(s) mentioned I'll take a look.

You might want to consider setting the machine to produce kernel memory dumps:

- Right-click My Computer, click Properties

- Click Advanced tab

- Click Settings button under "Startup and Recovery"

- Under "Write debugging information", select "Kernel memory dump"

This will produce a single MEMORY.DMP file in your %systemroot% folder - C:\Windows by default on XP - instead of a new Minixxxxxx-xx.dmp file every time it restarts.

Make sure your page file is at least as big as the physical memory installed in the system too.

It's just as if the reset button had been pressed. That kind of reboot. She doesn't have many peripherals connected. Just a webcam, mouse and keyboard, and powered speakers. I'll change it to a kernel type dump when I have the chance. After the next random reboot that happens once I change it to a kernel type dump, I'll attach it here.

Edited by IsLNdbOi

I'll change it to a kernel type dump when I have the chance. After the next random reboot that happens once I change it to a kernel type dump, I'll attach it here.
Kernel dump will be way to big to attach here - attach the minidumps that are already produced.

If I need a kernel dump later we can sort it out separately.

Ok, I've zipped up all the minidump files, but it won't let me attach it. I says, "The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.". I do not have any other attachments posted here and the zipped up minidumps is only ~700Kb.

Edited by IsLNdbOi

Sounds like a power supply problem. Is it a name brand i.e. Antec, Thermaltake or some cheap and nasty $19.99 Sunday morning special.

If you are building a unit for a friend or even your sister, spend a little extra and go for Antec etc.

Have had several units recently that have had one or more capacitors bulged at the top in the PS

all causing stutdowns or reboots. When it happened with Suse Linux I knew it was hardware.

Wish you luck.

:hello:

I know it's not the CPU overheating as I've checked the BIOS right after one of these random reboots and the temps are fine.
The CPU die has only a small amount of mass so it can change temperatures very quickly. It might seem fine in the BIOS, since in those few seconds between the reboot and you entering BIOS setup the temperatures have already dropped significantly. E.g. on my machine, at full load with Prime95 the CPU reaches ~60°, but after stopped the testing for a few seconds it goes back down to the low 30s. A realtime temperature monitor is the best way to monitor the temperatures.
I've run memtest86+ for the past 14 hours and it hasn't detected any errors.
That only means that your memory is fine. Memtest86 doesn't stress the CPU much. Run Prime95 to check the stability of the CPU.

I'm thinking it might be more of a CPU overheating problem than a PSU one, since CPUs change temperatures very quickly and you can't really check afterwards in the BIOS - it will have cooled off to idling by then, unless your heatsink and fan are really weak.

Edited by LLXX

Is Prime95 shareware or free? I really would rather not install shareware on her PC. Also, this is a Shuttle ST62K barebone system. I don't know the model number of the PSU. It's an external PSU, but I can't find any model number or information on it anywhere.