C&C: The First Decade is out!

tarquel

Hi all.

Probably over in the US its been out for a while, but over here in the UK, it was released yesterday [17th Feb, 2006].

All the C&C Games [minus one oldie I think] to date in one package - along with a DVD of bonus content and fan made stuff.

Command & Conquer The First Decade will combine the following titles:

Command & Conquer™(Aug. 1995)

Command & Conquer The Covert Operations™ (April 1996)

Command & Conquer™Red Alert™ (Oct. 1996)

Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™The Aftermath™ (Sept. 1997)

Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike™ (Mar. 1997)

Command & Conquer™Tiberian Sun™ (Aug. 1999)

Command & Conquer™ Tiberian Sun™ Firestorm (Feb. 2000)

Command & Conquer™ Red Alert™ 2 (Oct. 2000)

Command & Conquer™ Yuri's Revenge™ (Oct. 2001)

Command & Conquer Renegade™ (Feb. 2002)

Command & Conquer™Generals (Feb. 2003)

Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour (Sept. 2003)

Have a look at:

http://www.ea.com/official/cc/firstdecade/us/index.jsp

for more info.

For those people in the UK, Play.com are selling it for £26.99 at the moment :) [mine's winging its way to me now - roll on Monday hehe]

Enjoy people :)

Nath

EA keeps finding more ways to make me mad. I already bought the first 2 complete collections they made. First being C&C with expansion and the Redalert + expansions. Next was the one in the long box with tiberian sun and ra2 + yuri and now they do this. They should give me a free upgrade :D

lol yeah

I got it this morning and I had a blast at installing it on a fresh [work] PC :)

:thumbup Good installer! :thumbup

You can choose the whole lot or just selected games [i believe you can add/remove which games are installed later on also].

It asks for all the codes [lol yes, theres still the old codes needed] and then it installs the lot with no questions along the way.

Total install is around about 9Gig which isnt too bad considering the amount of games being installed, and all the games are installed in one directory in the Program Files\EA Games\ folder [same with the Start Menu also].

You run a launcher to start, and choose one of the games and away you go,

All-in-all, its nice not to have to do the old - install [multiple questions along the way] > patch > install exp pack [more multiple questions along the way] > patch > finally play.

Its choose them - drink a coffee - start gaming :)

...Just in case anyone was interested hehe

Its already out here in Australia. When I saw the game box I thought it was a new Command & Conquer game, since the computer gaming store was labelled "New Game".

Well, I'm a fan of the Command & Conquer series, especially the Red Alert series. I'll consider buying it, since I've never played the expansion packs (Apart from Red Alert 1 & 2, I own both expansion packs)

Its just nice to have all the games in one install :)

:thumbup

Its another lame ea product. I would buy Red Alert if they fixed the graphics and added support for 1280x1024 resolution.

If you meant Red Alert 2, then you can get something that allows you to play it in higher resolutions :) The game itself tho is a classic - and remember EA are just the distributors.... or should I say "was the distributors" - westwood [taken over by EA in the end] are the lovely developers ;)

...or something like that lol

Regards

Nath

The only way I see this being a good product is if EA actually bother to fix up the huge numbers of bugs that still plagued pretty much every C&C game. So far all I see is that they've done a little bit of tweaking to make sure they all run on XP...

The only C&C game I own for the PC is RA2, and that game literally is impossible to enjoy online anymore with the ammount of cheaters that simply destroy the game for the minority of users who are playing legitamately without intention of cheating, and yes I did say a minority. The game is still riddled with bugs, and for some strange reason, the 'bug' if you can call it such where everything you build, be it buildings, vehicles, infantry, anything blow up after exactly a minute still plagues RA2 and from what I know, Generals as well...

If EA aren't intending on releasing any patches to make the games enjoyable in a modern day standard, as well as allowing those with older versions of the games to play alongside, well then its just another EA typical re-hash and worthless cash in, and it probably won't be the end that they try to milk as much money as they possibly can from the old C&C games.

Shame too....

Well it seems that all the updates are included and installed - guess they've added them to the setup's of the games - nice. Havent noticed any new patch version numbers, but I've hardly looked at mine yet [no HD space hehe].

Regarding the online element, you must not be aware that all the C&C servers have moved over to the XWIS servers [that have been running for quite some time - previously you manually change to change the server addresses - but now EA have changed them over to XWIS] uses some sort of anti-cheat stuff in it and it seems to have worked.

At least when I tried it the other week, i was losing - not because of cheaters, it was just because i was out of practice hehe ;)

The exploding buildings is documented on the EA Knowledge Base I think you'll find - usually involves something wrong with the serial or something like that [cant remember off hand].

It is a bit of a cash-in, but it does have a bonus dvd [that i havent looked at]. As i said before, its just handy having all the games on one DVD all up-to-date and working nicely. Just wish they'd added TCP networking to the older ones :( Stupid IPX crap in order to play LAN games is the only annoying thing hehe

Regards

Nath