Possible to have Administrator as User with NO passW

OBJECTIVE: to have 'Administrator' as the only user with NO password set on fully inattended install.

I worked with nLite for a while and learned a lot. I plan to do a few things MANUALLY [not using nLite] to create a fully unattended install with the deploy stuff for XP pro final official SP2 [not slipstreamed] corporate.

After the install when I install programs I'd like Administrator to be automatically put in the user field for the program I'm installing as many of them audtomatically do. I get an asterick instead as the default name for some program installs which is a concern. Why I'd like to know...

When I used nLite Before creating ISO I edited the winnt.sif as below.

IF I did NOT put the asterick in the winnt.sif

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword = *

I would get an error dialog box which would force me to NAME the user ...

I was removing the password as when I would install programs it would pop in an asterick as the NAME of the user for the install of the program.. !

Could a guru here tell me IF it's possible to have Administrator with NO password in a fully unattended install and WHEN I install a program after install have 'Administrator' as the user name for the program install.

Main problem is HAVING to put the asterick * for the admin password and then leaving admin name blank as nLite does

GuestName = ""

AdminName = ""

Causes me to get an Asterick * as the user name when I install programs.... What exactly is nLite doing with the Options list below??

Hope that's clear enough...

HUGE thanks for reading.... this one's really stopped me cold.

--------- WINNT.SIF sections -------

[unattended]

UnattendMode = FullUnattended

UnattendSwitch = Yes

OemPreinstall = Yes

OemSkipEula = Yes

TargetPath = "SYSTEM"

ProgramFilesDir = "D:\Applications"

CommonProgramFilesDir = "D:\Applications\Common"

FileSystem = *

WaitForReboot = No

NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1

NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

Hibernation = No

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir = "D:\Users"

AutoLogon = Yes

EncryptedAdminPassword = No

AdminPassword = *

TimeZone = 085

OEMSkipRegional = 1

OemSkipWelcome = 1

------------ nlite Last session section ----- [TargetPath was renamed to > "SYSTEM" before creating ISO]

[Options]

GuestName = ""

AdminName = ""

ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

ProgFilesPath = "C:\Program Files"

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

AdvTweaks

isovol = WinLite

isoatt = -allow-multidot -relaxed-filenames -allow-leading-dots -N -l -d -D -joliet-long -duplicates-once -no-emul-boot -b boot.bin -hide boot.bin -hide boot.catalog

--------------

Edited by tweed

TOPLINE: the problem is that the Asterick become the name that some programs audoymatically put in for your acceptance [or you can change] WHEN you install a program manually [just regular program install] after installing XP

Thanks...yeah, nLite IS a variable at this point as I've not created a fully manual winnt.sif....

JUst to take the other side I'd GUESS that whatever I do IF I put this [and what above in my post here] IN the .sif I might get the NAME being asterick ....

This is WHEN I install a program manually AFTER installing XP..

Cool!

Any ideas on this....??

Can I be JUSt the Administrator and NOT have asterick do funny stuff like above....

I'd better just go for it rather than try to detail it all here...

Just keen to have ONLY one user

Administrator ....with NO name and NO password...

thanks!

So at thi IF I do AdminPassword = *

Try this reg file it allows for the admin account to show up on the logon screen

Fill in this color text with the name you want

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]

"HelpAssistant"=dword:00000000

"TsInternetUser"=dword:00000000

"SQLAgentCmdExec"=dword:00000000

"NetShowServices"=dword:00000000

"IWAM_"=dword:00010000

"IUSR_"=dword:00010000

"VUSR_"=dword:00010000

"PLACE_NAME_HERE"=dword:00000001

Just do a run without nLite, start from scratch and you'll find it IS perfectly possible to have only Administrator with blank pw.

What I'm not clear from reading your description, is whether your nLited unattended install has somehow changed the Administrator name to *. When program setup runs it checks in the registry for the default user name.

Hi!

Edited my winnt.sif all went well as unattended though when I install programs I get the asterick for the user name. as in photo below.

Any ideas why?

post-85789-1140460441_thumb.jpg

Edited by tweed