UXTHEME.DLL

breadandbubbles

Almost all uxtheme patcher working great

Are u sure thar it is THEME or VISUAL STYLE

if it is VISUAL STYLE it will come up only in Appearance tab of Display properties

If it theme

it should be in C:\windows\Resources\Themes folder

in Resources folder

there should be a folder named as the theme name (.theme extension)

--inside the folder a visual style file in same name (.msstyle extension)

--there should be a folder named shell

----inside the shell folder sometime multiple folder with shellstyle.dll file

This is the minium req. of a working theme

so check it out

alruight. i tried using Xpize. that didnt do anything. i tried using the neowin patcher. that didnt do anything. i tried restarting in safe mode and putting the patched file in the System32 folder, as well as that I386 folder. nothing.

of course by nothing i simply mean that my Area04 theme from 4impressions.net doesnt show up in my themes drop down menu.

something i want to happen very much.

what else is there?

Please STOP with telling it isnt working, EXPLAIN what/why is not working, do you get errors? DO you see everything as classic Win 98? No background? Are you be able to see the standard luna theme in windows?

Have you Visual Styles or Theme? (look in %windir%\resources if it is .theme or .mstyles, when you only see .mstyles then you will never see a background pic or you have to created a .theme based on the .mstyles by yourself)

If you dont see any visual styles (looks your startmenu isnt skinned?) or dont see any themes, then we had to fix your uxtheme.dll as first. Go to your first original windows cd which isnt builded by you and grab the uxtheme.dl_ and unzip it with winrar, move it to %windir%\system32 in safemodus, now you will see at least the lunatheme?

If you see the lunatheme is now working well, try to patch again, maybe it works now. (please use the latest neowin patcher)

alright. solidasarock, what do you mean stop telling you what isnt working, and start telling you why. if there was an error i would have told you. WHY isnt it working?! becuas it doesnt! my theme doesnt show up. what more could i possibley say? this patch should make my theme appear. and it doesnt. thus, it doesnt work. what more can i say. seriously.

Innocent Devil, yes, those .dll files are in the folders. Timeless posted just before you saying that he tried the exact same theme im tyring, and it worked for him.

solidasarock, im not familiar with the luna theme. i dont recall ever seeing it. before i try that, could you explain it? so i know what im looking for?

Edited by breadandbubbles

alright. solidasarock, what do you mean stop telling you what isnt working, and start telling you why. if there was an error i would have told you. WHY isnt it working?! becuas it doesnt! my theme doesnt show up. what more could i possibley say? this patch should make my theme appear. and it doesnt. thus, it doesnt work. what more can i say. seriously.

solidasarock, im not familiar with the luna theme. i dont recall ever seeing it. before i try that, could you explain it? so i know what im looking for?

The lunatheme is what you see standard in windows XP, Green startmenu button, darkblue+white startmenu, you also see a landscape (a lawn) and blue heaven with clouds. You recognize this? Do you see this when selecting "Windows XP" in the theme selection bar? Or do you see classic windows (=you known windows 98? ugly simple menus without any candyeye?) while you choose "Windows XP"?

You have tell us your theme isnt working MANY times, this isnt enough information. There are many reasons why itisnt working. We need to known which reasons arent to get the list of aviable reasons smaller...

Luna, is the look XP has when it first installs, with the blue taskbar and green start button. The taskbar also comes in silver and olive. This is the Luna Solidasarock is talking about.

If your taskbar and start button are grey, and look like Windows 98/2000 did, this is Windows Classic.

You can download the Royal theme for Windows XP, install it manually, without the need to patch the uxtheme.dll, I believe this is the similar to the theme that XPize installs.

Once the files are in the right place, and assuming you have a working uxtheme.dll, you can change to your new theme in Display Properties. :)

I'm a little new to this myself, but I think what I've said is correct.

Luna, is the look XP has when it first installs, with the blue taskbar and green start button. The taskbar also comes in silver and olive. This is the Luna Solidasarock is talking about.

If your taskbar and start button are grey, and look like Windows 98/2000 did, this is Windows Classic.

You can download the Royal theme for Windows XP, install it manually, without the need to patch the uxtheme.dll, I believe this is the similar to the theme that XPize installs.

Once the files are in the right place, and assuming you have a working uxtheme.dll, you can change to your new theme in Display Properties. :)

I'm a little new to this myself, but I think what I've said is correct.

Yes, it is all true, but i dont want to ask him to download other theme, i firstly want to know which problem occurs his problem....

also your windows classic url dont work, here is another one: http://www.stardock.com/products/objectbar/media/1.jpg

Yes, it is all true, but i dont want to ask him to download other theme, i firstly want to know which problem occurs his problem....

also your windows classic url dont work, here is another one: http://www.stardock.com/products/objectbar/media/1.jpg

Odd, my original link is working fine for me.

Also, I've downloaded the theme you're having trouble with, Areao4, and it works fine for me...however, there is no *.theme file. Therefor, the theme will only show up in the 'Appearance' tab of Display Settings.

Does it appear here, or not?

Edited by OtherworldBob

I've also tried your areao4, and it worked for me. So here's what I did:

1) Install xpize 4.2 (you have the option to only patch uxtheme.dll if you want to)

2) Put areao4 in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

*note: this is different than area04, which is the name of the zip file containing areao4. I have winrar, which I can right click and select "Extract to area04". If you copy area04 your themes folder, the path for your theme will be C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\area04\areao4, which "doesn't work" ;)

3) right click on the desktop and select Properties, then click on the Appearance tab. The Windows and Buttons drop down menu should have the option of areao4.

You should start at step 1 to make sure you've covered your bases. That is the EXACT process I used.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

okay. i had enough.

as my defense against viruses, i long ago partitioned my harddrive. my C: drive, WIndows, registry, etc, are all on a 20GB partition, while My Documents and my Desktop and so on are on the remaining 200 or so GB. so i decided to just reformat. i immediately tried the neowin patcher and it worked like a charm.

i have NO idea what happened. but it didnt work last time. i guess it shall remain a mystery.

Here are 3 links 2 are for a english version SP2 of the Uxtheme.dll and Uxtheme.dl_ and 1 is for cmd script to replace the uxtheme.dll

Links

1:\ Is for if Windows is installed uxtheme.dll English SP2

2:\ This is a Cmd promt script that will replace the uxtheme.dll while in use Replacer

3:\ Is for A UaCD install of Windows this is patched so it works Engish SP2 uxtheme.dl_ English SP2

Instruction to install it in Window

1:\ Download Link 1

2:\ Download Link 2

3:\ Run Replacer it has instruction on what to do

Instruction to add to a UaCd

1:\ Download Link 3

2:\ Delete DRIVE\XPCD\i386\Uxtheme.dl_

3:\ Place the download link in DRIVE\XPCD\i386