Making multiple Users.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing a problem in my Unattended CD not being able to make any 'Users'. In the past I have been able to succesfully create multiple users with my Unattended CD. The only time I had problems was when I ran it in VMware, but otherwise in real installations I had no problems at all. But now I end up with the following error:

Logon Message

The system could not log you on. Make sure your User Name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

I have compared the following 'oobeinfo.ini, autologon.reg, stopautologon.reg, Start.cmd' from my older working CD, with my current cd and can't find any difference at all. But for some reason it just won't work anymore.

I have been using the following method:

Three Step Process:

1. Make a file oobeinfo.ini and place it in '\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32\OOBE'.

Contents of oobeinfo.ini:

[UserInfo]
Identity000="User1"
Identity001="User2"
Identity002="User3"

Replace User1, User2 etc. with your names. You can add upto six users thru this process.

2. Make a file 'autologon.reg' and run it thru 'cmdlines.txt'.

Contents of autologon.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

; Logs in user "User1" the first time.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="User1"
"DefaultPassword"=""
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

3. Make a file stopautologon.reg and place it in '$OEM$\$1\INSTALL\LOGON' and run it at guirunonce stage via 'Start.cmd'.

Contents of stopautologon.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

; Stop further Auto-Logins
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"=""
"DefaultPassword"=""
"AutoAdminLogon"="0"

Start.cmd entries to run stopautologon.reg:

ECHO.
ECHO Stopping Auto Logon in Future
start /wait regedit /s %systemdrive%\Install\Logon\stopautologon.reg

I have not made an Unattended CD for a long time and now that I have made one I can't get this to work. I end up with the following error message:

The one major difference between my earlier working Unattended CDs and the current one is that I am now using the 'RVM_Integrator_1.0.5.exe' integrator to integrate RyanVMs Update pack and other addon packs. This is something I did not do in any of my older CDs. Could this be the problem?

My Winnt.sif file has the following entries:

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition = 0
MsDosInitiated = "0"
UnattendedInstall = "Yes"
AutomaticUpdates = Yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch = Yes
OemSkipEula = Yes
OemPreinstall = Yes
Hibernation = Yes
TargetPath = \WINDOWS
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

OemPnPDriversPath = "Drivers\SATA\SiI3112r;Drivers\SATA\SiI3114r;etc\etc"

[SystemFileProtection]
SFCQuota = 0

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword = "wxyz"
EncryptedAdminPassword = NO
OEMSkipRegional = 1
OEMSkipWelcome = 1
TimeZone = 190

[UserData]
ProductKey = xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
FullName = "J. Doe"
OrgName = "Semtech XYZ Inc."
ComputerName = Semtech

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended = Yes

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable = 0
Use_Same_Proxy = 1

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents = Yes

[GuiRunOnce]
Command0 = %systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

Could any of these be the problem?:

1. Having set a password for AdminPassword?

--> [GuiUnattended]

--> AdminPassword = "wxyz"

2. Or could this be the problem? The Error message did say something about a correct user name and domain.

--> [identification]

--> JoinWorkgroup = WORKGROUP

3. Or could something in RyanVMs update pack and/or the other addon packs be causing the problem? Because that is the one major change from my earlier working Unattended CDs.

I really need to get this working, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Sanjay

Just one thing I noticed. With VMware even If I formatted the partitions it recalled old users. [and added things litle .WINDOWS and .PC's NAME to the end of multiple extra users names. I had to create a new machine in VMware to get clean users. I know this isn't what you're trying to sort out... Just wanted to mention.

Edited by tweed

It looks like you have no password entered for the autologon setting. If I'm not mistaken I think you need to have a password for autologon to work.

EDIT: Specifically, in your autologon.reg file is what I am referring to.

Edited by RogueSpear

It looks like you have no password entered for the autologon setting. If I'm not mistaken I think you need to have a password for autologon to work.

EDIT: Specifically, in your autologon.reg file is what I am referring to.

Thanks for your response. But I don't think that this is the problem. THe reason I say this is that the Unattended CDs I have made in the past which work perfectly, also did not have any password assigned to the Users. Also since I don't have any password assigned it would be logical for there not to be any password in 'autologon.reg'. But having said this I will try this by assigning a password and see. At this point I am willing to try anything. Thanks again.

I have now tried this with making only a single user in 'oobeinfo.ini' and without the autologon.reg, but still no success. Even the single user is not being created and only the default windows 'Admistrator' account is being created.

I can't believe that no one here on msfn can help with this. After all I am sure I am not the only one or the first one trying to have a complete Unattended Windows CD.