USB 2 On Win98SE

Wijono

I have just added a “USB 2 PCI Card” based on NEC chipset to my PC that runs Win98SE.

The driver that comes with it is from OrangeWare Corporation.

Everything seems to be OK, I can feel the speed difference compared with the onboard USB 1.

I noticed however, that the “USB Root Hub” in the Device Manager for this new USB Ports do not have the Power tab. Anything that I can do to add that Power tab?

Thanks a lot!!

I have found the solution myself.

I simply went to "Device Manager", select the "USB Root Hub" for the new USB 2 Port, then click "Update Driver...". When the wizard could not find a better match, I simply selected one from the list, which is based on the Win98SE native USB.INF.

After done that, the "USB Root Hub" has now the Power tab, and it shows correctly the current drawn by the device!

I was too quick to be glad when I managed to bring Power tab into the “USB Root Hub” described above. Meanwhile I noticed that only USB 1.1 devices that are listed in that Power tab, not USB 2.0 devices.

The driver from Orangeware that comes with the USB 2 PCI Card based on Nec chipset uPD720101 is consisting of following files:

ousb2.inf

ousb2hub.sys

ousbehci.sys

The Device Manager shows the following for the USB:

- Universal Serial Bus controllers

- NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

- USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

- Universal Serial Bus controllers

- General purpose USB Hub(*)

- NEC USB Open Host Controller

- NEC USB Open Host Controller

- Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller(*)

- USB Root Hub

- USB Root Hub

- USB Root Hub

(*) seems to be for the on-board USB 1.1 ports.

The scenario is as follows:

When I connect a USB 1.1 device, either into the new USB ports or to the on board port, it shows up in Device Manager both in:

- Device type, e.g., Thumbdrive will show up under the Hard disk controllers as UStorage Device/UStorage drive, also

- in the Power tab of the USB Root Hub

When I connect a USB 2,0 device into the on board USB 1.1 port, it shows up in Device Manager also both in:

- Device type, e.g., Thumbdrive will show up under the Hard disk controllers as UStorage Device/UStorage drive, also

- in the Power tab of the USB Root Hub

But when I connect USB 2.0 device into the new USB 2.0 ports, it shows up only under the Device Type, but not under the Power tab of the USB Root Hub.

By the way the “USB 2.0 Root Hub Device” does not have Power tab, should it have one? If it should, is there a way to add the Power tab to the “USB 2.0 Root Hub Device”?

Or perhaps another way to force “USB Root Hub” to also show USB 2.0 device under its Power tab?

May be we can achieve that by INF file modification? I really hope someone that has similar experience can help to solve that minor problem.

Thanks a lot!!

You have the following in your Device Manager:

- VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

- USB 2.0 Root Hub

The word "Enhanced" shows that you are using USB 2.0

BTW, do you have the "Power" tab in the Properties of "USB 2.0 Root Hub" and "USB Root Hub"?

If the system works correctly, when you plug in a USB 1.1 device, such as Thumbdrive, then it should show up in the Power tab of the "USB Root Hub", whereas if you plug in a USB 2.0 device, it shall then show up in the Power tab of the "USB 2.0 Root Hub".

Hi Kartel,

It seems that your mouse and cam are USB 1 devices -> not listed under the USB 2 Hub.

Your USB card is using VIA chipset (mine is NEC chipset), nevertheless the Hub Properties is similar as mine, in the sense that the Power tab is missing!!

I need it for good reason, once my USB port was killed by over current, hence the current drawn by the device shown under the Power tab is a useful indication.

There must be a way out there to add the Power tab to the USB 2 Hub!!

Who can please help???

Your are right Kartel. But you already have one.

Different manufacturer uses different terminology.

Your VIA chipset uses following name for the USB 2 Root Hub:

- USB 2.0 Root Hub

Whereas my NEC chipset uses different name as follows:

- USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

Those are basically the same. As to what name is used you can see from the driver's INF file,

for example mine has a line like this:

USB2\ROOT_HUB20.DeviceDesc="USB 2.0 Root Hub Device"

I am still waiting someone with brilliant idea that can help us.

You're camera may well be a USB1 device. However, I don't believe any mice would ever need the throughput allowed through USB2. A mouse doesn't even come close to using the amount of bandwidth a USB2 device would use. A mouse doesn't even come close to using half the bandwidth provided by the USB1 standard even.

I wouldn't even worry about what standard your mouse falls under Kartel. The camera on the other hand... =\

Edited by Chozo4

Well mabe its time for 2,0 mouse because the mouse sucks in 98 it freezes and laggs during defrag and things like adaware when it first starts scanning it sucks the life out of usb, I think I may go back to PS2 and PS2 rate.

arrrgh then I have to enable it in the bios....there goes another irq.....

Well mabe its time for 2,0 mouse because the mouse sucks in 98 it freezes and laggs during defrag and things like adaware when it first starts scanning it sucks the life out of usb, I think I may go back to PS2 and PS2 rate.

arrrgh then I have to enable it in the bios....there goes another irq.....

I had the very same problem with USB mice as well including Legacy PS\2Emulation (USB). The problem seems to lie in the fact that USB mice are typically software driven and controlled. PS\2 Mice are done by the hardware and thus can still move even during a system lockup. That might be the reason why you are noticing the mouse considerably hang during moments of heavy activity. Additionally, even if the mouse were USB2, you would still notice the hangups with your mouse during moments of heavy activity. From my experiences, USB has always taken a backseat during seriously heavy loads unless if it's a USB device causing the load, then the rest of the USB devices take a backseat..

For your IRQ being enabled for the PS\2 mouse, I wouldn't see any wrong there be in doing so. Isn't IRQ12 a restricted IRQ therefor dedicated to the mouse only? Also, PS\2 Rate? I believe there is a registry tweak to push a PS\2 mouse refresh rate too 200 per second. If you don't want to ditch your USB mouse either, USB-PS\2 adaptors are cheap and most often come with todays USB mice.

Edited by Chozo4

Till now I still have not got any help that can bring the Power tab into my USB 2 hub, what a pity!! I am quite convinced, that there must be a way to do it, like modifying the INF file.

Meanwhile, I found an intermediate solution, i.e., by the use of USB View (usbview.exe) from Microsoft, Version 5.1.2600.0 upward, with the "Config Descriptors" turned on, we can find the "MaxPower" in the "Configuration Descriptor" that show how many mA is drawn by the device.

Based on that, I am more convinced now, that there must be away to bring the Power tab into the USB 2 hub...Somebody please help...