Domain blocklist, revised.

I would love to... however:

... I personally don't have SBC DSL, or setup disks for that matter to confirm/deny this issue.
... but if you could keep an eye out to see if anyone else has issues, that would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

Hiya..

Ok i just started using this and I'm experencing some strange issues with 2 of my favorite programs now. Both Azureus and Trillian pro seem to not work with this blocklist installed. I have no idea what sites these two programs are connecting to and cant understnad why your list would try to block these apps.

Is this truely the blocklist causing this or something else completely. I am trying to narrow down what else this could be but in the mean time has anyone else had these problems.

:blink:

Since the list only affects Internet Explorers access to certain domains, I highly doubt my list is causing your problems.

Try the uninstall regfile and see if the same thing happens without my list installed, however I find it very strange if this has anything to do with it. My list has no way of blocking applications etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Azureus and have no problems.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I use the Avant browser, it's a tabbed multi-feature IE compatible browser, much better than IE.

http://avantbrowser.com/

About the time I started using BoardBabe's DomainBlocklist, I started to get this popup on a few websites:

IEpopup.jpg

I disabled all the anti-activeX/ant-spyware software I had installed, and the popup stopped appearing only after I uninstalled the DomainBlocklist, I re-installed only the DomainBlocklist and the popup returned.

I tried some of those sites with IE6 and instead of this popup, I only got the yellow popup bar at the top, but with the same message.

When I clicked on the yellow bar, there were no options, the only thing I could do was click the X on the right to close the yellow bar.

This popup only appears when I use Avant, and I suspect in other IE compatible browsers, I tried the same pages with Firefox and as expected the popup didn't appear.

I checked microsofts database and they say that there is no way to disable this popup.

So I searched for a third party solution and found the freeware program ClickOff, that will automatically close any window you want.

http://www.download.com/ClickOff/3000-2340...tml?tag=lst-0-5

Has anyone else had this minor problem, and is there a tweak that will disable this popup???

Thanks.

dstone2006, as I stated before, this blocklist does not alter Internet Explorer Security Settings. It is a list of domains, (sites), to which access is blocked.

ActiveX controls not only are not affected by the blocklist, they are not used /recognized, by Firefox, or any non IE-engined browser.

Yes I understand how the DomainBlocklist works, and it was actually the last thing I uninstalled because I didn't think that it was causing that popup, but it turns out that it was.

The websites that get that popup have ads that call the activeX controls from other websites, and I guess that those websites/domains with the activeX controls are blocked by the DomainBlocklist.

In other words the DomainBlocklist doesn't block/disable the actual ActiveX control, but it is blocking the website/domain where the ActiveX control is loaded from, and that is what causes the popup to appear.

Or it may also be that the DomainBlocklist is blocking the domains that the ActiveX controls try to download their data from.

To be sure, I re-installed all my anti-activeX and Anti-spyware software/blocklists and only un-installed the DomainBlocklist, and sure enough, the popup stopped appearing on some websites.

But even after I uninstalled the DomainBlocklist, I tried a few different websites and I was still getting the popup on some other sites, so I disabled SpywareBlaster, and the popup stopped appearing on the other websites.

So it is both the DomainBlocklist and SpywareBlaster that is causing the popup.

And like I wrote above the only solution I found so far is the ClickOff program, but if anyone knows of a tweak to disable the popup, please share it.

It's a minor problem, and all I have to do is click ok to get rid of the popup, but if i'm on a website for a while I get that popup every page I got to on that site, and it becomes annoying.

Edited by dstone2006

Firstly as I've said before, stop littering this blocklist thread with information regarding another product with a very similar name.

The sites included in the blocklist are there for a reason, if you wish to expose your PC to those sites, especially in a browser which is launching ActiveX controls from those sites, then don't install all those listed.

If you must use some of the sites on the list, and you feel safe enough to do so, either:

• remove them from the list before installing it, the list is provided in a text file for your prior information.
    remove those sites from the registry after installing.
    don't install the list.

I don't mean to sound like I'm being rude, but these are not issues with the list, just issues with you and your implementation of it.

Do you write to the makers of your firewall complaining that your buddy cannot access your PC from xx.xxx.x.xx because their program, by default is stopping it, or do you configure the firewall accordingly?

The DomainBlocklist does affect some ActiveX controls by blocking the domains they are loaded from.

Some web pages may download data from a number of different domains, and although the webpage is displayed, some of the content, like ads or popups, will be blocked by the DomainBlocklist.

I want the DomainBlocklist to block all those sites, the popup is just a side effect of using the DomainBlocklist with the browser I use, and to a less noticeable extent with IE.

Have you never had the yellow popup bar in IE, with the same message as the popup above, on any of the sites you use?

I don't want to remove any sites from the DomainBlocklist, because so far it hasn't blocked any of the sites I use, it's only blocked some of the ads/popups on the sites.

I was simply sharing a solution with anyone else who might have this issue, and asking if anyone had a better solution.

dstone2006, as I stated before, this blocklist does not alter Internet Explorer Security Settings. It is a list of domains, (sites), to which access is blocked.

ActiveX controls not only are not affected by the blocklist, they are not used /recognized, by Firefox, or any non IE-engined browser.

The block list will in fact prevent you from running any ActiveX or script code from the domains contained in the list. That's the whole idea of "Restricted Sites" zone functionality. And since Avant runs the IE core, it will be effected just the same as IE itself. And yes, the list does alter IE Security settings, it just does it in the HKLM meaning the settings won't appear in the control panel applet. But the method is the same.

Anybody using this list should actually look at their Restricted Sites settings. All of the misunderstandings would be cleared up rather quickly.

Sites.png

Edited by RogueSpear

And yes, the list does alter IE Security settings
No it doesn't, the restricted zone and its respective settings are completely unaltered by the list. All the blocklist does is propagate the restricted zone with the contents of the list. How the sites are treated from there are simply according to the settings of the machine users restricted zones; and I'll reiterate, those are not changed at all by this list.

Well by default anything in the restricted sites zone cannot run ActiveX code or script. Perhaps my wording was off or could have been misleading, but the end result is that anything in the list from post #1 will show as being a restricted site down in the status bar of IE. If your restricted sites settings are the default, no downloadable code will run.